"Fundy Atheist" defined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But you come to a Christian website to be a jackass - I don't go to atheist websites. You're not here for fellowship or friendly discussion. In FACT, I bet you're here because your mommy spanked you, and you can't be mad at her because, well... she's your MOMMY for goodness sake.... so you're here cloaked in anonymity under the blanket of protection we provide to take it out on Christians because you're a gutless little coward! (that last part was feigned anger and purposely drama queenish - only partially true. ) YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! (more drama )

Yet, here you are, being a total jackass on a Christian run website.
    One of my good friends is an atheist, who let her son do stuff at her friends churches. She wasn't anti-religion, she just wanted to expose her children to other peoples beliefs at her own pace. Definately not the way I see some people acting.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      One of my good friends is an atheist, who let her son do stuff at her friends churches. She wasn't anti-religion, she just wanted to expose her children to other peoples beliefs at her own pace. Definately not the way I see some people acting.
      Yeah, my Jewish atheist lesbian executive admin used to be pretty obnoxious with her attacks on my Christianity, knowing she was "protected status", but as the years went on, we became good friends, and she actually seemed to respect my beliefs. When her sister died, it really caused a crisis of belief, and we actually had a good moment of "what if you're right and I'm wrong" (from her).
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But you come to a Christian website to be a jackass - I don't go to atheist websites. You're not here for fellowship or friendly discussion. In FACT, I bet you're here because your mommy spanked you, and you can't be mad at her because, well... she's your MOMMY for goodness sake.... so you're here cloaked in anonymity under the blanket of protection we provide to take it out on Christians because you're a gutless little coward! (that last part was feigned anger and purposely drama queenish - only partially true. ) YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! (more drama )
        Woa. That level of drama coming from a male usually indicates repressed homosexual urges. I won't judge.

I didn't come here originally to be a jackass, I came here because I was invited by a Christian and was treated like a jackass, and so I respond with the same attitude I was treated with, and now I'm the bad guy. And because you treat atheists like jackasses, by that standard, you're an anti-atheist bigot, regardless of whether it is a "Christian run website."

Yet, here you are, being a total jackass on a Christian run website.
        ....that I was originally invited to by a Christian. If you treat others with disrespect, don't act surprised if they disrespect you back.
        Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
          Woa. That level of drama coming from a male usually indicates repressed homosexual urges.
          Yeah, more jackassery.

I won't judge.
          Too late - you already did. Perhaps you have repressed anti-homosexual bigotry as well!

I didn't come here originally to be a jackass, I came here because I was invited by a Christian and was treated like a jackass, and so I respond with the same attitude I was treated with, and now I'm the bad guy. And because you treat atheists like jackasses, by that standard, you're an anti-atheist bigot, regardless of whether it is a "Christian run website."
          In other words, you came here to pretend to be nice, but in the end, your true self came through.

...that I was originally invited to by a Christian. If you treat others with disrespect, don't act surprised if they disrespect you back.
          You're a fundy atheist - what more could I expect?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, more jackassery.
            Takes one to know one.

Too late - you already did. Perhaps you have repressed anti-homosexual bigotry as well!
            If I did I'd have something in common with your god.

In other words, you came here to pretend to be nice, but in the end, your true self came through.
            No, I play fire with fire. If you get off on insulting atheists and atheism, prepare to get a taste of your own medicine. I was one of those nice atheists who was indifferent to religion until I had to start dealing with fundies judging and insulting me and ridiculing atheism because they thought their religion condoned or commanded it. Well, now Christians are going to have to deal with the consequences.

You're a fundy atheist - what more could I expect?
            So basically you're saying that I'm about as bad as you are then huh since you're clearly a fundy Christian? Your insults are like a boomerang.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Takes one to know one.

Let's see, the proper response is .. I'm rubber you're glue.....

Comment

This might explore some of the differences.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11788[/ATTACH]
                I think the "fundy atheist" label is a kinda silly, but making a counter-argument with an image macro is a bit sillier.

cd6d43269a5166782554baf6930cbe12.jpg

To be fair, it was considered sort of the thing to do (especially in the Tektonics subforum, so maybe that's why you're unfamiliar with it) to invite skeptics that posters were arguing with outside of TWeb to come here so that a bunch of the Christian posters could kinda gang up on them. It wasn't about being nice, it was part of a whole battle mode mindset. Now maybe Thinker jumped in swinging, I don't know, but I doubt it was the case where he was treated with the courtesy and respect shown the typical new poster before they've shown their true colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  To be fair, it was considered sort of the thing to do (especially in the Tektonics subforum, so maybe that's why you're unfamiliar with it) to invite skeptics that posters were arguing with outside of TWeb to come here so that a bunch of the Christian posters could kinda gang up on them. It wasn't about being nice, it was part of a whole battle mode mindset. Now maybe Thinker jumped in swinging, I don't know, but I doubt it was the case where he was treated with the courtesy and respect shown the typical new poster before they've shown their true colors.
                  I'd be happy to be shown where came here and was polite, and was slapped down for it. Not that he hasn't made up for it since, if that occurred. But, for example, there are other atheists here who, after I got to know them a bit, I actually have been having civil conversations with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    And I doubt The Thinker is telling the whole story.

Comment

Let's see, the proper response is .. I'm rubber you're glue.....

Well, I thought you wanted to keep this discussion at the high school level.

Comment

Well, I thought you wanted to keep this discussion at the high school level.
                        And you decided to go to Junior High.

Comment

I didn't come here originally to be a jackass, I came here because I was invited by a Christian and was treated like a jackass, and so I respond with the same attitude I was treated with, and now I'm the bad guy.
                          Because a few folks treated you in a way you did not like you treat everyone that way? I have not followed you, but I know no one spoke badly of you in this thread and you came barging in with your inaccurate meme. Then cry about it when folks were not nice to you. Real "adult" of you.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Back to the thread topic: I do not think there is a definition for "fundy atheist" any more than for the original label of "fundy." Both are just efforts to be derisive to someone, and do not really have any semantic content to speak of.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Back to the thread topic: I do not think there is a definition for "fundy atheist" any more than for the original label of "fundy." Both are just efforts to be derisive to someone, and do not really have any semantic content to speak of.
                              That would appear to be the case. Particularly, when I saw some of the earlier uses of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                I don't think there's a set-in-stone definition of what constitutes a fundy atheist, it's more a case of "I know one when I see one". The more atheists you encounter, the more you'll be able to distinguish between the "fundy" variety, and the non-fundy variety. Usually the non-fundy variety are distinguished from the "fundy" variety by the fact that it's possible to have a respectful and intelligently stimulating dialogue with them.

Comment