"Fundy Atheist" defined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I don't think there's a set-in-stone definition of what constitutes a fundy atheist, it's more a case of "I know one when I see one". The more atheists you encounter, the more you'll be able to distinguish between the "fundy" variety, and the non-fundy variety. Usually the non-fundy variety are distinguished from the "fundy" variety by the fact that it's possible to have a respectful and intelligently stimulating dialogue with them.
    Yeah, some of the atheists here are downright decent in regards to conversation - and some have a notably condescending "You stupid Christians" attitude. The fact that they come to a Christian website, enjoying the anonymity the internet provides, to "kick butt" says a lot.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Because a few folks treated you in a way you did not like you treat everyone that way? I have not followed you, but I know no one spoke badly of you in this thread and you came barging in with your inaccurate meme. Then cry about it when folks were not nice to you. Real "adult" of you.
      I personally don't make a big fuss if a theist uses strong words or cocky language to disagree with me. But when they complain when I do it to them back, that's my problem. If you're a person who likes to use strong words and/or insults when dealing with others who disagree, don't throw a hissy fit and call them a bigot if they give you a taste of your own medicine or do it too.
      Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
        I personally don't make a big fuss if a theist uses strong words or cocky language to disagree with me. But when they complain when I do it to them back, that's my problem. If you're a person who likes to use strong words and/or insults when dealing with others who disagree, don't throw a hissy fit and call them a bigot if they give you a taste of your own medicine or do it too.
        Mamma, he hit me first.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Observing that a jackass is a jackass is a far cry from "throwing a hissy fit".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Mamma, he hit me first.
            I think I'm gonna start being nice to him out of pure meanness and spite!

Comment

Mamma, he hit me first.
              More like you hit me, I hit you, and then you cry to mama.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Observing that a jackass is a jackass is a far cry from "throwing a hissy fit".
                Weird coming from a person who engages in jackass behavior themselves.

Comment

Weird coming from a person who engages in jackass behavior themselves.
                  I do appreciate the fact that you are one of our more literate posters!

Comment

I think I'm gonna start being nice to him out of pure meanness and spite!
                    Wow, you mean you're actually going to try acting like a kind Christian. Genius.

Comment

Wow, you mean you're actually going to try acting like a kind Christian. Genius.
                      Yes sir, I'm going to treat you as a friend. I'm going to pretend you're like my atheist Jewish lesbian executive admin.

Comment

I do appreciate the fact that you are one of our more literate posters!
                        I actually prefer not to trade insults but instead debate complex differences relevant to theism vs atheism. But it almost always devolves into insults. It is a constant struggle for both sides not to look down at the other and to see them as a human being who simply disagrees.

Comment

I actually prefer not to trade insults but instead debate complex differences relevant to theism vs atheism. But it almost always devolves into insults. It is a constant struggle for both sides not to look down at the other and to see them as a human being who simply disagrees.
                          Pretty much, yes.

Comment

I have recently come to two definitions that though might not be totally conclusive shows when you are definitely a full fledge fundy (barring extreme circumstances)

1) When you cannot concede that someone who does not hold your position has any meaningful good point
                            2) when you believe you have no real biases

In regard to almost anything (barring opinions that are insane or perverse like a pedophile) you are a fundy of some sort.

Comment

Yeah, I think it has to do with somebody who is an atheist who chooses to spend their time on a Christian website arguing with Christians about God, whom they don't believe exists.

Comment

Yeah, I think it has to do with somebody who is an atheist who chooses to spend their time on a Christian website arguing with Christians about God, whom they don't believe exists.
                                Supposing you were a manufacturer of motor vehicles and you advertised your latest machinery as being able to travel five hundred miles on one gallon of fuel. You should expect to be challenged. Religion advertises itself. The scrutiny and challenge to it is proportional to the extraordinary claims it makes.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment