Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

first apartment/cleaning questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first apartment/cleaning questions

What products should I use to clean bathtub?

How do I clean a fabric (yet water proof) shower curtain? Can I use the washing machine?

Why are there both steel wool and copper scrubbers in the dishwashing section of the store?

Does it matter what toilet cleanser I use?

If light paint got cranberry sauce on it that changed the shade where it landed, is there a way to fix that besides repainting?

How do you put up curtains in an apartment that has no pre-attached curtain rod and charges for repairs/cleaning after you move out?
    I am become death...

Questions like these are why most men get married. On the last one, ask the landlord/lady to put up the curtain rods.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
      Scrubbing Bubbles works really well. Unless you have allergies, then sprinkle baking soda, and have a squirt bottle with vinegar ready, scrub while its reacting, the reaction cleans great!

How do I clean a fabric (yet water proof) shower curtain? Can I use the washing machine?
      read the instructions, it will tell you how to clean it. Ours we clean on the gentle cycle or spot clean with a brush

Why are there both steel wool and copper scrubbers in the dishwashing section of the store?
      That's personal preference
      no unless you have allergies. we use lysol toilet bowl cleaner for the inside and Windex disinfectent for the outside.

If light paint got cranberry sauce on it that changed the shade where it landed, is there a way to fix that besides repainting?
      Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders for everything!!!!!
      How do you put up curtains in an apartment that has no pre-attached curtain rod and charges for repairs/cleaning after you move out?
      Painters putty and paint
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Weekly, use Dow Scrubbing Bubbles for showers. Every 3 months or so, use Comet with bleach

Yes, but add a half cup of baking soda to the detergent, or in the bottom of the washing machine tub before you put the curtain in. Wash on cold on a normal cycle. Do not use fabric softener or bleach. Hang to dry, or if you need to dry it, use the delicate dryer cycle

Copper scrubbers are softer on things that scratch, like porcelain or glass. But they are typically much more expensive. Steel wool works fine for most applications, but they rust pretty quickly. If you are on a budget, then steel wool is the way to go with the following tip:

After I use my steel wool pads for the first time, I squeeze out most of the water, put it in a small plastic container with a lid and pop it in the freezer. When I want to use it again, I just put it in the water I'm cleaning with and voila! No rust.

Anything with bleach will do ok to keep the mildew down. But you have to scrub under the lip and where the water doesn't get to as often as necessary. Anything that disinfects is good. Lysol makes a good toilet bowl cleaner.

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers can work if the stain isn't too big or the paint isn't too dark. And they are relatively cheap and they work wonders on scuffs

You get maintenance to do it and hang on to the maintenance request so they don't try to accuse you of doing it when you move out. And have your carpet cleaned regularly. Apartments love to take part of your deposit on "wear and tear" of the carpet.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          Scrubbing Bubbles works really well. Unless you have allergies, then sprinkle baking soda, and have a squirt bottle with vinegar ready, scrub while its reacting, the reaction cleans great!

read the instructions, it will tell you how to clean it. Ours we clean on the gentle cycle or spot clean with a brush

That's personal preference

no unless you have allergies. we use lysol toilet bowl cleaner for the inside and Windex disinfectent for the outside.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders for everything!!!!!

Painters putty and paint
          We seem to have similar experience with cleaning and apartments!
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You can't use Scrubbing Bubbles if the tub is acrylic. If it is an old tub, those work great.

I use Clorox Disinfecting Bleach Foamer, which is safe for acrylic fixtures.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              yup!
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Me, too, three!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do a Heracles/Hercules and flood the place.

Comment

I use tension rods for my curtains.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

As a former PCC student, where cleaning the showers was a notoriously undesirable task come "White Glove," I can attest that Scrubbing Bubbles was generally the weapon of choice.

"White Glove" was the twice-per-semester campus-wide dorm room cleaning. The showers were always the hardest thing to get passed.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I normally use the bathroom scrubbing bubbles.

The tag should say how to wash it, but I found the best way to do shower curtains is to have a clear plastic one for the inside of the shower and your nice fabric one on the outside. That way, you just clean up the clear plastic one with a light brushing.

Cause they can?

I haven't really noticed a difference.

Not that I'm aware of, but I have found those Mr Clean Magic Erasers can do wonders for cleaning up messes.

Use white tooth paste to fill in the holes or drywall puddy.
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-12-2015, 08:36 AM.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I should mention I have recently found that 20 mule team borax and water cleans a lot of everything
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Does putting a fabric shower curtain in the washing machine get rid of the dark spots that can form at the bottom of the curtain?
                            I am become death...

Comment

You can do that unless the tag says dry clean only. Use woolite and do this on the delicate cycle tyen hang dry. Alternatively just replace with a cheap look alike. What apt provides a shower curtain.?
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment