Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

Lazarus and the rich man � parable or actual event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faber View Post
    Gotta figure out how to do that verse tag.
    If you "reply with quote" to my post, you should be able to see how it works.
    As far as Calvinist, maybe two-point, if even that. I take strong issue with some of the arguments I have heard from the five-pointers.

As far as being able to change one's mind, yes I agree. But it's not that simple. I used to be an adamant atheist, and lost of people tried changing my mind. It was only through the convicting of the Holy Spirit for several months that I finally gave in. I can fully understand the concept that nobody comes to Christ unless the Father draws him. Even then, unlike the Calvinist view of irresistible grace, I believe people can still resist the Holy Spirit.
    Then I don't understand how the verse applies at all.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't think the parable is specifically condemning rich people since poor people can be evil too. I think the parable is making the point that outward appearances do not tell the whole story, and those who are rich and look like they are blessed can be very far from God at the same time. Also a person can be poor and look like he has been abandoned by everyone and God, and yet he is the one at peace with God (Job for instance who God himself said was righteous). In the early chapters of John, Jesus chided the people for following him for physical bread and He made the distinction between physical bread and spiritual bread, saying only the one satisfies. The rich man was the physical man and Lazarus was the spiritual man and Paul also tells us that only one can inherit the Kingdom of God (1 Cor 15:50). I think perhaps Faber is onto something with the 5 brother-in-law of the high priest, since being such a prominent family people might have made this connection too and it was to the religious leaders like Nicodemus who Jesus said they did not understand the things they were supposed to know (John 3:1-21). They didn't accept what Moses and the prophets said and that is why they didn't accept Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        As far as [being a] Calvinist, maybe two-point, if even that. I take strong issue with some of the arguments I have heard from the five-pointers.
        For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Well, it is a parable from what I know of Jewish parables. Jesus rarely made His parables personal by naming anyone in them, but even in this one, the gist is still the same. it's a story used to illustrate a point. But that still does not negate the realities Jesus used to make the point. First off, the wicked do indeed go to a place of torment, and the righteous go to a place of rest.
          disembodiedembodied (cf. v. 24).
          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
            I disagree. They are not said to be embodied in the parable
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

First off, the wicked do indeed go to a place of torment, and the righteous go to a place of rest.
              So, then, the eyes and tongue of the rich man are immaterial/incorporealimmaterialimmaterial (cf. v. 24)? Disembodied souls require water?

Comment

So, then, the eyes and tongue of the rich man are immaterial/incorporealimmaterialimmaterial (cf. v. 24)? Disembodied souls require water?
                Yes. Scriptire is replete with what happens to those who are suffering in sheol, and it is all physical in nature.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

First off, the wicked do indeed go to a place of torment, and the righteous go to a place of rest.
                  Yes. Scriptire [sic] is replete with what happens to those who are suffering in sheol, and it is all physical in nature.
                  isphysically (i.e. bodily, corporeally) if they are not embodied?

Comment

How can disembodied souls undergo physical suffering? How can persons suffer physically (i.e. bodily, corporeally) if they are not embodied?
                    We won't know the answers to these questions until we die and experience first hand what being disembodied is like.
                    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
                    Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Comment

Will have to answer fuller later, but demons are not physical yet they suffer torment do they not?
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Will have to answer fuller later, but demons are not physical yet they suffer torment do they not?
                        The question is not whetherphysical torment and yet be disembodied. Had you conceded that the rich man and Lazarus are both portrayed as embodied

Comment

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                          We won't know the answers to these questions until we die and experience first hand what being disembodied is like.

Comment

I think most people take the passage as a parable. In any case, I don't think the physical descriptors of torment should be taken any more literally than Abraham's bosom.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I think most people take the passage as a parable. In any case, I don't think the physical descriptors of torment should be taken any more literally than Abraham's bosom.

Comment