Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is libertarian free will coherent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Thinker can't answer you right now. The universe made him break the rules and now he is temporarily banned for two weeks.
    Really? Thinker is banned - what did he do?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
      Ah, I'll have to wait for an answer then.
      Don't hold your breath. His "answers" are always the same. Must be because he has no free will.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        No, even robots cause themselves to do things. When it is said that nothing can cause itself, what is meant is nothing can cause itself to come to be. But nothing in what I've said is anything causing itself to come to be. Once something (like Alice) exists, then it can cause changes to itself. There is nothing impossible about you giving yourself a tatoo, but it's impossible for the tatoo itself to cause itself to exist.
        The science of Methodological Naturalism does not remotely claim that something or anything in our physical existence can cause itself.
        Okay. That's consistent with what I said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
          Okay. That's consistent with what I said.
          Natural Law, and inherent nature of our physical existence may the 'uncaused cause' of everything in our physical exitence, just as God may be the 'uncaused cause' of everything that exists.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment