Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religious Minorities In Islamic Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Minorities In Islamic Nations

I am concerned over reports of how religious minorities are treated in Islamic nations. It seems that Muslims who immigrate to non-Islamic nations celebrate and rely on liberal, pluralistic religious sensitivities because it allows them to practice, proliferate, and make provision for Islamic law in non-Islamic nations and spread their influence with freedom, and there is often aggressive protest and outcry if these liberties are curtailed.

Let's now turn our attention to Islamic-dominated countries. Let's start with a simple example using myself. As a Christian (who, let's say, speaks Arabic fluently), moved to Saudi Arabia and a few months later decided I would like to peacefully hand out pamphlet's for the purpose of Christian evangelism - What would happen to me?
    Last edited by Scrawly; 12-15-2015, 11:25 AM.

As a Christian, do you believe, like Paul, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      As a Christian, do you believe, like Paul, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."?
      In theory....Yes! In practicality...um...

yes?...
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        I am concerned over reports of how religious minorities are treated in Islamic nations. It seems that Muslims who immigrate to non-Islamic nations celebrate and rely on liberal, pluralistic religious sensitivities because it allows them to practice, proliferate, and make provision for Islamic law in non-Islamic nations and spread their influence with freedom, and there is often aggressive protest and outcry if these liberties are curtailed.

Let's now turn our attention to Islamic-dominated countries. Let's start with a simple example using myself. As a Christian (who, let's say, speaks Arabic fluently), moved to Saudi Arabia and a few months later decided I would like to peacefully hand out pamphlet's for the purpose of Christian evangelism - What would happen to me?
        That's not being peaceful - that's inciting people to blaspheme Mohammed.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          That's not being peaceful - that's inciting people to blaspheme Mohammed.
          Classic case of totalitarianism?

Comment

It is fine to criticize particular practices of Saudi Arabia...but broad generalizations based on (one specific territory) Saudi as an example can lead to incorrect assumptions. Saudi practices a Wahabi type of Islam. Proselytization of other types of Islam are also not allowed.

There are 49 Muslim-Majority countries (The OIC--organization of Islamic Co-operation has 57 members) In some Muslim-Minority countries---large communities/Territories are Muslim-Majority.
            "Major languages spoken by Muslims include Arabic, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, Malay, Javanese, Sudanese, Swahili, Hausa, Fula, Berber, Tuareg, Somali, Albanian, Bosnian, Russian, Turkish, Azeri, Kazakh, Uzbek, Tatar, Persian, Kurdish, Pashto, Balochi, Sindhi and Kashmiri, among many others...." Wikipedia

Muslim-minority countries that respect the right to identity (nasl) and the right to conscience/religion (Deen) are respecting Islamic values. Muslim-Majority countries that do not respect these rights are not following Islamic values.

The Maqasid al Sharia (purpose of law) gives 5 general areas of protection of rights........
            Conscience/religion (deen)
            life (nafs)
            identity/heritage (nasl)
            intellect (aql)
            Property/wealth (mal)

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
              It is fine to criticize particular practices of Saudi Arabia...but broad generalizations based on (one specific territory) Saudi as an example can lead to incorrect assumptions. Saudi practices a Wahabi type of Islam. Proselytization of other types of Islam are also not allowed.

There are 49 Muslim-Majority countries (The OIC--organization of Islamic Co-operation has 57 members) In some Muslim-Minority countries---large communities/Territories are Muslim-Majority.
              "Major languages spoken by Muslims include Arabic, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, Malay, Javanese, Sudanese, Swahili, Hausa, Fula, Berber, Tuareg, Somali, Albanian, Bosnian, Russian, Turkish, Azeri, Kazakh, Uzbek, Tatar, Persian, Kurdish, Pashto, Balochi, Sindhi and Kashmiri, among many others...." Wikipedia

Muslim-minority countries that respect the right to identity (nasl) and the right to conscience/religion (Deen) are respecting Islamic values. Muslim-Majority countries that do not respect these rights are not following Islamic values.

The Maqasid al Sharia (purpose of law) gives 5 general areas of protection of rights........
              Conscience/religion (deen)
              life (nafs)
              identity/heritage (nasl)
              intellect (aql)
              Property/wealth (mal)
              Hello my friend,

So basically a particular interpretation of the Quran, that seems to be quite popular in Saudi Arabia, is to blame for the suppression and persecution of religious minorities? Would it then be fair to assume that there are movements within Islam and voices by Quran-believing Muslims that are fighting for the rights of these persecuted minorities in countries such as Saudi Arabia?
              Last edited by Scrawly; 12-18-2015, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                Hello my friend,

So basically a particular interpretation of the Quran, that seems to be quite popular in Saudi Arabia, is to blame for the suppression and persecution of religious minorities? Would it then be fair to assume that there are movements within Islam and voices by Quran-believing Muslims that are fighting for the rights of these persecuted minorities in countries such as Saudi Arabia?
                particular interpretation of the Quran---(exegesis) Tafsir....there are many Tafsir both in Arabic and in other languages. Apart from Tafsir, there are various schools of Islamic philosophy that also influence/bias a Quran interpretation (Mutazilite, Asharite, Murtadi....) The Arabic Quran is itself the same (same as the Uthmani codex)--there are no differences in the Quran (Sunni/Shia use the same Quran). Sharia (there are 5 major schools (madhab) and probably some minor ones) influences how these interpretations are practiced.

Takfirism (exclusivity/only one right way and its mine)---Some types of Islam (Purists) suffer from Takfirism. This type of outlook causes rigidity, encourages prejudice, forms strong identity-constructs (which can lead to excessive enthusiasm/zealotry)...

Wahabism (18th century)---Is a Modern construct. (Purists movements are all modern constructs that came about as a reaction to colonialism/modernity). In Saudi, Wahabism leads to persecution of non-Wahabi minorities (including other types of Muslims)...which means reform needs to come from within the Wahabi/Salafi establishment....but in other places, where other types of Islam have been practiced and Wahabism is a newer idea...tradition can be used to appeal to fight towards justice and equality. I don't know much about Saudi Arabia...but there are people there who are striving towards justice and equality.

a 13th century philosopher called Ibn Taymiyya has had influence on Wahabism (as well as modern jihadist). He had some profound insights and interesting ideas...but also some troubling (Takfiri) ideas as well.....probably because he lived in troubling times (Mongol invasion...etc)

did I answer the question?...if not please ask again....

Comment

particular interpretation of the Quran---(exegesis) Tafsir....there are many Tafsir both in Arabic and in other languages. Apart from Tafsir, there are various schools of Islamic philosophy that also influence/bias a Quran interpretation (Mutazilite, Asharite, Murtadi....) The Arabic Quran is itself the same (same as the Uthmani codex)--there are no differences in the Quran (Sunni/Shia use the same Quran). Sharia (there are 5 major schools (madhab) and probably some minor ones) influences how these interpretations are practiced.

Takfirism (exclusivity/only one right way and its mine)---Some types of Islam (Purists) suffer from Takfirism. This type of outlook causes rigidity, encourages prejudice, forms strong identity-constructs (which can lead to excessive enthusiasm/zealotry)...

Wahabism (18th century)---Is a Modern construct. (Purists movements are all modern constructs that came about as a reaction to colonialism/modernity). In Saudi, Wahabism leads to persecution of non-Wahabi minorities (including other types of Muslims)...which means reform needs to come from within the Wahabi/Salafi establishment....but in other places, where other types of Islam have been practiced and Wahabism is a newer idea...tradition can be used to appeal to fight towards justice and equality. I don't know much about Saudi Arabia...but there are people there who are striving towards justice and equality.

a 13th century philosopher called Ibn Taymiyya has had influence on Wahabism (as well as modern jihadist). He had some profound insights and interesting ideas...but also some troubling (Takfiri) ideas as well.....probably because he lived in troubling times (Mongol invasion...etc)

did I answer the question?...if not please ask again....
                  Thanks! Can you please give me an example of the bolded (Quran-believing Muslims striving for justice and equality in Saudi Arabia)?

Comment

Not sure what "Quran believing Muslims" means since all Muslims believe the Quran (as revelation)....but there are some Muslims who are calling for a "Quran only" type of Islam...however, these would not be in Saudi Arabia as Wahabism is very conservative and the Quran only types are considered "progressives"(at least by Westerners)---however, this group has very little appeal within Mainstream Islam.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middl...alman-al-Ouda#

http://www.pen.org/press-release/200...s-saudi-arabia

There is a toxic level of prejudice against (non-Western) foreign workers and the countries from which these workers come, are also working an safeguarding the interests of their citizens....

Comment

Not sure what "Quran believing Muslims" means since all Muslims believe the Quran (as revelation)....but there are some Muslims who are calling for a "Quran only" type of Islam...however, these would not be in Saudi Arabia as Wahabism is very conservative and the Quran only types are considered "progressives"(at least by Westerners)---however, this group has very little appeal within Mainstream Islam.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middl...alman-al-Ouda#

http://www.pen.org/press-release/200...s-saudi-arabia

There is a toxic level of prejudice against (non-Western) foreign workers and the countries from which these workers come, are also working an safeguarding the interests of their citizens....
                      By "Quran-believing Muslim" I mean Muslims that are not nominal (Muslim in name only for traditional reasons), but rather deeply religious and devoted.

Now, can you please provide an example of a non-nominal Muslim, preferably in a position of influence, who is speaking out against the treatment of religious minorities in Muslim-majority countries, such as Saudi Arabia, that are governed by Islamic principles. Please direct me to a speaker/movement that is fighting for the rights (and lives) of persecuted religious minorities (not just fellow Muslims) but Christian's and other persecuted groups.

Comment

Muslims protecting Christians
                        http://www.christianpost.com/news/vi...attack-102592/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4057381.html

Muslims and Christians protecting each other
                        http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...ticle-1.137961

There are many Muslim-majority countries who each have their own political/social concerns and a diversity of platforms....
                        Muhuri is one such group....but there are many others like it.....
                        http://www.muhuri.org/

HOWEVER....

The "West" is also known for its Islamophobia, xenophobia, and rascism----how many deeply devoted WASP Evangelical Christian organizations are protecting Muslims and Mosques?....
                        Google showed this (lone) Texas pastor (U.S.) who denounced Franklin Graham (July 2015).....can you show me more....?....
                        http://www.religionnews.com/2015/07/...uslim-remarks/

Comment

Muslims protecting Christians
                          http://www.christianpost.com/news/vi...attack-102592/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4057381.html

Muslims and Christians protecting each other
                          http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...ticle-1.137961

There are many Muslim-majority countries who each have their own political/social concerns and a diversity of platforms....
                          Muhuri is one such group....but there are many others like it.....
                          http://www.muhuri.org/

HOWEVER....

The "West" is also known for its Islamophobia, xenophobia, and rascism----how many deeply devoted WASP Evangelical Christian organizations are protecting Muslims and Mosques?....
                          Google showed this (lone) Texas pastor (U.S.) who denounced Franklin Graham (July 2015).....can you show me more....?....
                          http://www.religionnews.com/2015/07/...uslim-remarks/
                          Thanks for the links. It's good to see those pictures. Yes, Siam, you can easily find numerous Christian coalitions working to combat "Islamophobia". Christian's are always encouraged - from the Scriptures - to love EVERYONE and open our hearts to EVERYONE through good deeds and proclamation of the gospel. "Islamophobia" is clearly a deterrent to that endeavor. James White, a very prominent voice amongst evangelical's, has warned against "Islamophobia":

If you simply google "Christian's against Islamophobia" the results are legion, for example:

http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...obia/71064.htm

http://www.islamophobiatoday.com/201...-islamophobia/

http://www.evangelicalsforsocialacti...harisma-media/

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X