Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

SJW Wars: The Force Awakens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    That changes. I mean, not the evil part so much, but the motivation part.
    I expect some to be evil and messed up, but they really need to show some variations beyond, "Those who are on the other side are evil!" because even those who might be on the wrong side of things; do not always have nefarious intentions.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      Fiction that breaks suspension of disbelief is failed story-telling. Sure, you can make up anything you want. That doesn't mean you should, and it doesn't mean the story will be any good if/when you do.
      It sounds that by "breaks suspension of disbelief" you mean "doesn't stay true to what was previously considered canon." In this day of reboots an alternate story lines that no longer is as big a deal for me as it used to be. I understand if it is for you or that you were more invested in the Star War universe[1] than I ever was.

For me suspending disbelief is thousands of times faster than light speed travel (whether it be "warp drive" or "hyperspace"), but I still do it.

Or even niggling details like at the start when Rey tries to get the last bit of water out of her canteen she basically shakes it at her face splashing some of the last drops on her face and on the ground. A barely scraping by desert dweller wouldn't behave so foolishly. Did I say niggling details?

1. I read a hand full of comic books that I happened upon, played a couple early (read "primitive") video games based upon it and read one novel. Ironically it contained the Big Weapon that appeared in the movie although details might differ for all I know.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        I expect some to be evil and messed up, but they really need to show some variations beyond, "Those who are on the other side are evil!" because even those who might be on the wrong side of things; do not always have nefarious intentions.
        Keep watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Keep watching.
          Need to take a few days break (when you start having dreams about something, it's time to take a break).
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Need to take a few days break (when you start having dreams about something, it's time to take a break).
            Hey, that's when things really start to get interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Hey, that's when things really start to get interesting.

Perhaps, I mean... who wouldn't want to swing around a lightsaber; chopping up droids all day?
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Sorta like when you play too much Tetris or Candy Crush and every time you see a shape in your environment you wonder how another shape could be used to complete it.

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
                  I for one was upset after spending many years buying/reading books that I was told were canon to have them suddenly thrown under the bus by Disney. I can't be the only one. I've decided Disney doesn't get to tell me what is canon, and the existing books are, not the new movies
                  Like what J.J. Abrams did with Star Trek. Come back from the future, wipe out Vulcan, and all those Star Trek episodes, Deep Space 9, whatever other spinoffs, plus all those movies, never took place. Wipe the slate clean and start over with a whole new universe.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    Like what J.J. Abrams did with Star Trek. Come back from the future, wipe out Vulcan, and all those Star Trek episodes, Deep Space 9, whatever other spinoffs, plus all those movies, never took place. Wipe the slate clean and start over with a whole new universe.
                    He does seem to like reboots. Not usually my cup of tea, but I seem to be a minority on that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      It sounds that by "breaks suspension of disbelief" you mean "doesn't stay true to what was previously considered canon." In this day of reboots an alternate story lines that no longer is as big a deal for me as it used to be. I understand if it is for you or that you were more invested in the Star War universe[1] than I ever was.

For me suspending disbelief is thousands of times faster than light speed travel (whether it be "warp drive" or "hyperspace"), but I still do it.

Or even niggling details like at the start when Rey tries to get the last bit of water out of her canteen she basically shakes it at her face splashing some of the last drops on her face and on the ground. A barely scraping by desert dweller wouldn't behave so foolishly. Did I say niggling details?
                      That's not what I mean at all. There are parts about not staying true to previous canon, and there are 'niggling details' that jar you out of the story. We had the same reaction to Rey's actions with the canteen (though very little of what she did looked like a desert dweller...much of the time her face is completely uncovered in blowing sand). Even more jarring was having them act as if you can just suck the heat off of a star and cause it to go dark. Scientific nonsense is one thing: as they say, you're generally allowed 'one big lie' (i.e., hyperdrives, FTL, w/e). The super weapon was another level of absurd.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Even more jarring was having them act as if you can just suck the heat off of a star and cause it to go dark. Scientific nonsense is one thing: as they say, you're generally allowed 'one big lie' (i.e., hyperdrives, FTL, w/e). The super weapon was another level of absurd.
                        Yeah, that was weird on a number of levels.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That's not what I mean at all. There are parts about not staying true to previous canon, and there are 'niggling details' that jar you out of the story. We had the same reaction to Rey's actions with the canteen (though very little of what she did looked like a desert dweller...much of the time her face is completely uncovered in blowing sand). Even more jarring was having them act as if you can just suck the heat off of a star and cause it to go dark. Scientific nonsense is one thing: as they say, you're generally allowed 'one big lie' (i.e., hyperdrives, FTL, w/e). The super weapon was another level of absurd.
                          If we're going to discuss the super weapon we probably should post a SPOILER ALERT

I agree wholeheartedly. I was really hoping that they were going to offer at least some information on how it was supposed to work. As I said previously the only Star Wars novel I read had the Empire (I think) possessing a Death Star that didn't need to move to a system in order for it to blow up a planet but could do it from across the galaxy. I assume the energy beam traveled through "hyperspace" otherwise if the super Death Star was, say, 100,000 light years from its target it would take 100,000 years for it to hit its target. Obviously that isn't that much of a threat. And of course it would probably miss in that the planet would likely be at a different point in its orbit and many millions of miles away. Yet in the movie we could actually see the energy beam traveling across the sky (through space) covering who knows how many light years in a few minutes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            If we're going to discuss the super weapon we probably should post a SPOILER ALERT

I agree wholeheartedly. I was really hoping that they were going to offer at least some information on how it was supposed to work. As I said previously the only Star Wars novel I read had the Empire (I think) possessing a Death Star that didn't need to move to a system in order for it to blow up a planet but could do it from across the galaxy. I assume the energy beam traveled through "hyperspace" otherwise if the super Death Star was, say, 100,000 light years from its target it would take 100,000 years for it to hit its target. Obviously that isn't that much of a threat. And of course it would probably miss in that the planet would likely be at a different point in its orbit and many millions of miles away. Yet in the movie we could actually see the energy beam traveling across the sky (through space) covering who knows how many light years in a few minutes.
                            Star Wars has never been known for it's realistic physics or science.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X