Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice

Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice and longer days to follow.

Today is the beginning of the New Year, and the days will be getting longer. The celebration of the equinoxes and solstices is the oldest and most consistent celebration world wide since humans became human. Of course, the celebrations of Christmas and New Year in the world today is the result of bad math and distorted Roman God calendars.

More on the winter Solstice to follow. . .
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-22-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Merry Christmas.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/12/151221-winter-solstice-explained-pagans/

The Northern Hemisphere's procession of dwindling days is about to reach its nadir. The winter solstice is the year's shortest day, but the start of winter also launches the sun's steady climb towards the long, warm days of summer.

The solstice occurs on Tuesday, December 22 at 4:48 UTC—that's late Monday night across most of North America. It happens at the same moment no matter where you live, but because we've divided Earth into 24 times zones people around the world observe it at 24 different times of day.

Why does the solstice occur anyway, and how have people observed it through history? Read on for everything you need to know about the December solstice.

The Solstice From Space

Earth's tilt is the reason for the season. Our planet orbits the sun while tilted at an average of 23.5 degrees, so the Northern and Southern Hemispheres receive unequal amounts of sunlight. This causes both the solstices and the seasons.

Each hemisphere's cooler half of the year happens when it's tilted away from the sun, and its winter solstice (December in the north, June in the south) marks the point when that half of the globe is tilted away from the sun at its most extreme angle.

Lack of exposure to the sun's rays makes the winter solstice the darkest day of the year but it's not the coldest. That's still a month or more away, depending on your location, because oceans and landmasses are slow to lose the heat energy they absorbed during the warmer months.

Earliest Sunset? Not on the Solstice

Still, most of us actually see the year's earliest sunset a week or two before the solstice. Why? Because the sun and our human clocks don't keep exactly the same time.

We've organized our days into precise 24-hour segments but the Earth doesn't spin on its axis so precisely. So while the time from noon to noon is always exactly 24 hours the time between solar noons, the moment each day when the sun reaches its highest peak, varies. So as we move through the year the chronological time of the solar noon shifts seasonally—and so do each day's sunrises and sunsets.

During December, solar noons can be some 30 seconds longer than 24 hours apart. That means while the shortest amount of total daylight falls on the solstice the day's sunset is actually a few minutes later on our clocks than it had been earlier in the month—because both sunrise and solar noon have also occurred later in that chronological day than they had in days earlier in December. To see the earliest sunset coincide more closely with the solstice simply head towards the Arctic, where the difference between the two dwindles.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Merry Christmas!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Banned
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Solstice no one cares

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeenders View Post
    Solstice no one cares

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
    I care and everyone who will join me tonight for the party.

Happy Holidays and Peace on Earth to you in the name of all religions and beliefs, including Winter Solstice.

Frank

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice and longer days to follow.

Today is the beginning of the New Year, and the days will be getting longer. The celebration of the equinoxes and solstices is the oldest and most consistent celebration world wide since humans became human. Of course, the celebrations of Christmas and New Year in the world today is the result of bad math and distorted Roman God calendars.

More on the winter Solstice to follow. . .
    The pagans have re-hijacked Christmas, don’t ya think? Have a jolly one.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    There is still the remnant. There will always be a remnant.

Merry Christmas, FF.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

10. Amen mossrose, theophilus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    No, it is the original holiday later celebrated by Rome as the Winter Solstice in commemoration of the Sun God. It was coopted by Christianity as the celebrating the birth of Christ, and screwed up by bad math and a screwed up calendar of Roman Gods.

Frank

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Merry Christmas.