Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice

Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice and longer days to follow.

Today is the beginning of the New Year, and the days will be getting longer. The celebration of the equinoxes and solstices is the oldest and most consistent celebration world wide since humans became human. Of course, the celebrations of Christmas and New Year in the world today is the result of bad math and distorted Roman God calendars.

More on the winter Solstice to follow. . .
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-22-2015, 06:36 AM.

Merry Christmas.

Comment

Comment

Merry Christmas!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Solstice no one cares

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeenders View Post
            Solstice no one cares

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
            I care and everyone who will join me tonight for the party.

Happy Holidays and Peace on Earth to you in the name of all religions and beliefs, including Winter Solstice.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice and longer days to follow.

Today is the beginning of the New Year, and the days will be getting longer. The celebration of the equinoxes and solstices is the oldest and most consistent celebration world wide since humans became human. Of course, the celebrations of Christmas and New Year in the world today is the result of bad math and distorted Roman God calendars.

More on the winter Solstice to follow. . .

Comment

There is still the remnant. There will always be a remnant.

Merry Christmas, FF.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, it is the original holiday later celebrated by Rome as the Winter Solstice in commemoration of the Sun God. It was coopted by Christianity as the celebrating the birth of Christ, and screwed up by bad math and a screwed up calendar of Roman Gods.

Comment

Merry Christmas.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      No, it is the original holiday later celebrated by Rome as the Winter Solstice in commemoration of the Sun God. It was coopted by Christianity as the celebrating the birth of Christ, and screwed up by bad math and a screwed up calendar of Roman Gods.
                      The Romans did not even commemorate the Sun god on the solstice until AD 274 by the anti-Christian emperor Aurelian. The borrowing is more likely in the other direction.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And this doesn't apply to the Southern Hemisphere....does it?
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          And this doesn't apply to the Southern Hemisphere....does it?
                          Well, the tradition wasn't established in the Southern Hemisphere.

And some ancient cultures doubtless celebrated the summer solstice as well.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            The Romans did not even commemorate the Sun god on the solstice until AD 274 by the anti-Christian emperor Aurelian. The borrowing is more likely in the other direction.
                            My error, but the observance was part of the whole history of Rome under different Gods, such as the earlier celebration for Saturnalia.

- See more at: http://www.historytoday.com/matt-sal....3V3aTqom.dpuf

Comment

I do believe based by the stories in the Bible concerning tax collection, the shepherds and there flocks, and relationship to Passover, indicate that Jesus was born in the spring closer to the Spring Equinox to the beginning of June.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-22-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X