Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Have a Happy and Joyous Winter Solstice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    And this doesn't apply to the Southern Hemisphere....does it?
    The southern hemisphere celebrates the Winter Solstice on June 21-22.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I do believe based by the stories in the Bible concerning tax collection, the shepherds and there flocks indicate that Jesus was born in the spring closer to the Spring Equinox.
      We simply don't know the date. Dec 25 works well for me.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Me too.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yep. And it's obvious that the date was more important than the fact that the solstice happened to fall on that date then, since there was never any attempt to tie it to the solstice when it shifted to a different date to due calendar error.

In my tradition, the Transfiguration is celebrated in August, even though people think it actually occurred shortly before the Passion; they didn't want the feast to occur during the penitential season of Lent, so they shifted it to a more convenient date.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Yep. And it's obvious that the date was more important than the fact that the solstice happened to fall on that date then, since there was never any attempt to tie it to the solstice when it shifted to a different date to due calendar error.

In my tradition, the Transfiguration is celebrated in August, even though people think it actually occurred shortly before the Passion; they didn't want the feast to occur during the penitential season of Lent, so they shifted it to a more convenient date.
            Yeah, if Christmas - the birth of Christ - were celebrated in the spring, when many of us think it happened, it would compete with Resurrection Sunday!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, if Christmas - the birth of Christ - were celebrated in the spring, when many of us think it happened, it would compete with Resurrection Sunday!
              I celebrate the Resurrection EVERY Sunday.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I celebrate the Resurrection EVERY Sunday.
                Well, me too, but I add WEDNESDAYS!!!!

Comment

Well, me too, but I add WEDNESDAYS!!!!
                  We meet Saturday evenings instead, to prepare for Sunday. We have the odd mid-week service when a major feast doesn't fall on a Sunday, but it's not a regular occurrence except during Lent.

sigpic

Comment

We meet Saturday evenings instead, to prepare for Sunday. We have the odd mid-week service when a major feast doesn't fall on a Sunday, but it's not a regular occurrence except during Lent.
                    OK, so "the great roundup" happens, and there's a huge crowd of people standing at the Gates of Heaven waiting to get in. Saint Pete, of course, is standing at the Gate, giving instruction to the crowd.

Pedro is in the back, and straining to hear what's going on....

Suddenly, the crowd erupts in a big joyous celebration, cheering and applauding.

Pedro taps the guy in front of him and ask, "what did he say"?

The guy tells Pedro.....

"He said Wednesday Nights don't count!"

Comment

Merry Christmas to one and all.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

And to all, a good night!

Comment

Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, welcome the longer days with joy and peace!
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, welcome the longer days with joy and peace!
                            And don't forget the partridge in a pear tree!

Comment

And don't forget the partridge in a pear tree!
                              On our third Christmas together, I gave my wife three wood-carved painted birds. To be honest they looked like ducks, but I cut out three white cardboard speech bubbles and affixed them to each of the three ducks. The first duck said, "Nous ne sommes pas des canards." The second duck said, "Nous sommes des poulets." And the third duck said, "Nous somes les trois poulets français!"
                              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                I do believe based by the stories in the Bible concerning tax collection, the shepherds and there flocks, and relationship to Passover, indicate that Jesus was born in the spring closer to the Spring Equinox to the beginning of June.
                                'Twas during the jewish festival of sukkot (tabernacles).
                                http://www.hebroots.org/sevenfestivals_chap9.htm

Comment