Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

To Whom Should We Pray? An Enquiry for Protestants/Evangelicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Whom Should We Pray? An Enquiry for Protestants/Evangelicals

In this thread, I wish to pose the following question specifically to who are Protestant or evangelical in their persuasion: While we all believe we are to pray to God only, which person(s) within the trinity should Christians direct their prayers to? Do you take the position that Christians should pray inclusively to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (i.e. all persons comprising the trinity)? Or should Christians pray exclusively to the Father and avoid directing prayers to the Son and/or the Holy Spirit? Please expound.

(I plan to provide a few thoughts of my own within the next few days.)
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Prayers are normally addressed to the Father but when Stephen was being stoned he prayed to Jesus.
    And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”
    (Acts 7:59 ESV)
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think we neglect prayer to the Holy Spirit. There is no reason that we can't direct our prayer either collectively to the Trinity, or individually to each member of the Trinity.

I find myself most often directing prayer to the Father. Habit, I suppose.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I think we neglect prayer to the Holy Spirit. There is no reason that we can't direct our prayer either collectively to the Trinity, or individually to each member of the Trinity.

I find myself most often directing prayer to the Father. Habit, I suppose.
        Yeah, even in the same prayer, I may address parts of it to the Father, parts of it to the Spirit, and parts of it to Jesus. Perhaps as I understand their "roles" in the Bible, I tend to, somewhat naturally, address specific issues to each.

As such, I don't think it's so much important "which one" we're addressing, but that we address them often, and take time to listen.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I think we neglect prayer to the Holy Spirit.
          That always puts me in mind of ....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I ditto CP, and Mossrose, but my prayers are typically directed towards Jesus because He is our mediator and intercedes on our behalf.
            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
              I ditto CP, and Mossrose, but my prayers are typically directed towards Jesus because He is our mediator and intercedes on our behalf.
              I think it occurred to me that when I pray corporately (in or on behalf of the Church) I pray to the Father, I think.... and when I'm alone, I think I pray more to Jesus and/or the Holy Spirit.

Comment

I pray to Almight God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In other words while I recognize the trinity I do not pray separately to the individual persons of the Trinity.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

To briefly address my own enquiry, I will note that, prior to his death, burial, resurrection, and ascension, Jesus instructed his disciples to pray to the Father (Matt. 6:9–13; Luke 6:1–4, 11). On the eve of his crucifixion Jesus told the eleven that the Father will grant them whatever they ask in his (Jesus’) name (John 16:23–24; cf. 14:13–14; 1 John 5:13–15). As Christ has been given all authority in heaven and on earth upon his resurrection and ascension (Matt. 28:18; 1 Pet. 3:22), it is not difficult to imagine why believers should be instructed to pray and petition the Father in Jesus’ name. Theophilus (#2, above) was keen to observe that Stephen calls on Jesus while being stoned to death in Acts 7:59 (cf. also v. 60). Acts 7:59 echoes Luke 23:46 (cf. Ps. 31:5), a text in which Jesus is recorded as calling out and committing his spirit to the Father before breathing his last breath on the cross. That said, the New Testament pattern establishes that believers should pray specifically to the Father in Jesus’ name. (For an apostolic example of prayer to the Father in the epistles, see Ephesians 3:14–21.) In my judgement, the trinitarian baptismal formula of Matthew 28:19 (‘in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit’) is neither descriptive or prescriptive of how (or to whom) disciples should pray.

Should we pray directly to the Spirit of God or in the Spirit’s name? Paul does tell us that the Holy Spirit intercedes on behalf of the saints in their prayers in accordance with God’s will (Rom. 8:26–27). However, the aforesaid intercessory labour of the Spirit is not to be confused with the role with which Christ exclusively occupies as heavenly high priest. Christ is the sole mediator between God and humankind (1 Tim. 2:5; cf. Rom. 8:33–34; Heb. 4:14–16). I cannot recall a single instance where the NT authors encourage believers to pray or call on the Holy Spirit. (If I am mistaken on this point, I would appreciate correction.)

Related to prayer is confession, i.e. confession of Jesus Christ. Jesus unambiguously expects his disciples to confess (and not deny or be ashamed of) him even in the face of intense persecution. We are informed that our acknowledgement or denial of Christ will be returned in kind on the day of judgement (Matt. 10:32–33; Mark 8:38; Luke 9:26; 12:8; 2 Tim. 2:12). Paul writes of believers’ initial confession of the Lord Jesus, a confession that results in salvation (Rom.10:9–13; cf. Acts 2:21; 22:16). Confessing and calling on the name of the Lord is something every believer should do throughout the entirety of his or her life.
                  Last edited by The Remonstrant; 12-26-2015, 05:35 AM.
                  For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

By the way, thank you for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                      [SIZE=3]To briefly address my own enquiry, I will note that, prior to his death, burial, resurrection, and ascension, Jesus instructed his disciples to pray to the Father (Matt. 6:9–13;Luke 6:1–4, 11[/B]). (par. 1)
                      Correction: Luke 11:1–4, 13. (I do not know how I botched this reference; I looked directly at the scriptural text prior to posting. Also, in the title of this thread there should not have been a colon placed after the question mark. It should rather read: ‘To Whom Should We Pray? An Enquiry for Protestants/Evangelicals’.)
                      Last edited by The Remonstrant; 12-27-2015, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I pray to Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                          Also, in the title of this thread there should not have been a colon placed after the question mark. It should rather read: ‘To Whom Should We Pray? An Enquiry for Protestants/Evangelicals’.)
                          Fixed
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Ultimately it doesn't matter, but the one prayer Jesus intended as a model is addressed to the Father. So I'd suggest praying to the Father in Jesus' name.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Fixed
                              Many thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X