Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Creation ex nihilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "Dirty Dozen" list still has a vacancy, but it's not for you, either of you Jesse guys. I'm starting a list for "Sweet Dozen", but without anyone yet decided upon. Looks like I need a third list, the "Silly Dozen" or the "Odd-duck Dozen". Any preference for the name for the list I can start for you two Jesse oddballs?
    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
      My "Dirty Dozen" list still has a vacancy, but it's not for you, either of you Jesse guys. I'm starting a list for "Sweet Dozen", but without anyone yet decided upon. Looks like I need a third list, the "Silly Dozen" or the "Odd-duck Dozen". Any preference for the name for the list I can start for you two Jesse oddballs?
      So your plan is to relegate me to a second-tier list? No way, bro. I refuse to acknowledge a charity list. Anyone named Jesse should be topflight or nothing at all.
      Last edited by Jesse; 12-26-2015, 02:57 AM.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I believe the Quantum zero-point cosmos is timeless by definition, as well as God is beyond time. The question of eternal nature of all of existence is moot point.
        The difference is that the Quantum zero-point cosmos is mutable or changing whereas God is not.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Yay! Shuny has finally learned the difference between 'moot' and 'mute'.
          Actually, yes, the word moot is the preferred by grammar Nazis, but 'mute point' is common in modern American English, but condemned by grammar Nazis. One interesting modern variation is 'moo point.' I may use this sometime, because the opinion of cows is preferred. I may invent a new phrase, 'boo point.'

What would we do without the obsessive anal retentive Nazi grammarians that burn new phrases and words at the stake?

'If words become as stones, people throw them at each other and build walls.' - Frank Doonan
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-26-2015, 06:30 AM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by arnoldo View Post
            The difference is that the Quantum zero-point cosmos is mutable or changing whereas God is not.
            Agreed that God does not change, but it is obvious that his Creation evolves and changes over time.

Well, if you are a Methodological Naturalist the Laws of Nature are the only things in control of the Quantum zero-point cosmos and the changes we observe, and Quantum gravity forms the singularities that form universes. If you are a Theist like myself, God has creative control over the Quantum zero-point cosmos, and the Creation of universes. Natural Laws are determined by God and they are the processes of Creation. Science simply observes God's Creation in dynamic action.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-26-2015, 06:19 AM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Actually, yes, the word moot is the preferred by grammar Nazis, but 'mute point' is common in modern American English, but condemned by grammar Nazis. One interesting modern variation is 'moo point.' I may use this sometime, because the opinion of cows is preferred. I may invent a new phrase, 'boo point.'

What would we do without the obsessive anal retentive Nazi grammarians that burn new phrases and words at the stake?

'If words become as stones, people throw them at each other and build walls.' - Frank Doonan
              I like 'moo point'; its funny. 'Mute point', however, might lead people to think that you are uneducated, which would be a shame.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                I dont think so. Its more like he formed the universe out of the pre-exiting primordial chaos. . . .
                While the term ex nihilo is not to be found in the texts, neither is any concept of a "pre-exiting primordial chaos." Any kind of chaos must consist of some kind of underlining order to be a chaos. It is not possible for chaos without an order.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I like 'moo point'; its funny. 'Mute point', however, might lead people to think that you are uneducated, which would be a shame.
                  The snobbery of the anal grammarian rears its ugly butt again.

Frank

Comment

The snobbery of the anal grammarian rears its ugly butt again.
                    Do you always resort to insults when losing an argument? Wouldn't it be better to engage in open and intellectually honest dialogue and politely concede a point? By trying to make it into an argument where you cannot concede legitimate points, you're reduced to stonewalling and endlessly repeating yourself and now insults.

Comment

Do you always resort to insults when losing an argument? Wouldn't it be better to engage in open and intellectually honest dialogue and politely concede a point? By trying to make it into an argument where you cannot concede legitimate points, you're reduced to stonewalling and endlessly repeating yourself and now insults.
                      Ohhhh! Your stacking up a lot of 'poo points!'

Yea, Napoleon won the Battle of Waterloo.

Frank

Comment

Ohhhh! Your stacking up a lot of 'poo points!'

Yea, Napoleon won the Battle of Waterloo.
                        Also funny! But why consider it a battle? Why not just dialogue? But I appreciate the concession.

Comment

....Well, if you are a Methodological Naturalist the Laws of Nature are the only things in control of the Quantum zero-point cosmos and the changes we observe, and Quantum gravity forms the singularities that form universes.
                          My turn to be anal here.
                          You should have said "ontological naturalist". Most scholarly theists (not I, however) are Methodological Naturalists.
                          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                            My turn to be anal here.
                            You should have said "ontological naturalist". Most scholarly theists (not I, however) are Methodological Naturalists.
                            Not anal at all, your point is justified.

Sorry for the error. it should 'Philosophical or Ontological Naturalists.'

Frank

Comment

Agreed that God does not change, but it is obvious that his Creation evolves and changes over time.

Well, if you are a Ontological Naturalist the Laws of Nature are the only things in control of the Quantum zero-point cosmos and the changes we observe, and Quantum gravity forms the singularities that form universes. If you are a Theist like myself, God has creative control over the Quantum zero-point cosmos, and the Creation of universes. Natural Laws are determined by God and they are the processes of Creation. Science simply observes God's Creation in dynamic action.
                              Typo correction as caught by Adam, and justified

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                                Merry Christmas!

Perhaps you can suggest a better word to go into the blank here: "Does Scripture _________ creation ex nihilo?"

I am not implying anything.
                                Suggest one of:
                                - describe
                                - suggest
                                - imply
                                - accommodate
                                - inform
                                - contradict
                                - include
                                - state
                                - avoid
                                - denigrate
                                - applaud
                                - deny
                                - predict
                                - explain
                                - require
                                - propose
                                - misdescribe
                                - postdict
                                - ignore
                                - proclaim
                                - versify
                                - define
                                - celebrate
                                - disambiguate
                                - appellate
                                - mistake
                                - assume
                                - reference
                                - downplay
                                - misdate
                                - accentuate
                                - orchestrate
                                - reify
                                - tenebrify
                                depending on your intent.
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment