Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

PCKeeper a Scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCKeeper a Scam?

I'm thinking PCKeeper can be a great way of keeping Windows 7 (I had to spend $299 uninstalling Windows 10 that would not work) working in spite of technological obsolescence. Meanwhile, however, they sucker you to spend $77 (not the 2.99 monthly advertised) on getting PCKeeper that you find out is only the first stage (the Scan, but not the corrections) that the girls in Ukraine (who are so nice, so patient, speaking better English than we do) will tell you when you call 866.988.6766 is only "PCKeeper Orange" (or "Yellow", she seemed confused on that point). To get the 1223 corrections needed to be applied, I was told to pay another $119 to get "PCKeeper Green". Sounds reasonable, but on principle I am resisting this as a "bait and switch" scam. How do I know they won't be asking $200 next to get a PCKeeper White? (And if you want to show off that you can speak Russian or Ukrainian, you might get her in trouble--they're only allowed to speak English with us.)

Meanwhile my computer has NEW problems. I can't log in but briefly to my Biblical Criticism website, and most of my emails on my Explorer website won't open. (Mostly I get junk mail with multiple attachments--these won't open now.) Did PCKeeper CAUSE this? If so, by accident or sinister intent?

So is PCKeeper great, good, bad, or horrible. Please help.

(Most likely it's in league with the Establishment here at TWeb to block me from any internet connection except TWeb, because they love me so much that that want me posting exclusively for them here. What's that I just said?)
    (And maybe I do increase their ratings.)
    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Yes, PCkeeper is a scam from way back...dump it a.s.a.p.

If you want a one stop shop program I would look at "Malwarebytes" Anti-Malware. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

They started off offering their products for free. (And you can still get a "trial version" that is free that will do a scan for all kinds of nasty bugs...but will not do real time scans) It's $25 per year and will do all you want to keep you safe.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      Yes, PCkeeper is a scam from way back...dump it a.s.a.p.

If you want a one stop shop program I would look at "Malwarebytes" Anti-Malware. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

They started off offering their products for free. (And you can still get a "trial version" that is free that will do a scan for all kinds of nasty bugs...but will not do real time scans) It's $25 per year and will do all you want to keep you safe.
      I regularly use Malwarebytes and CCleaner. There's still a free version for home use - https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I regularly use Malwarebytes and CCleaner. There's still a free version for home use - https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
        Last time I tried to download the free version it installed a trial version of their Full package... I still have the free version on several pc's. It finds things others miss! I haven't used CCleaner in a while, but used to use it often!
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          Last time I tried to download the free version it installed a trial version of their Full package...
          Yeah, depending who you download it from, you have to "uncheck" the trial version option. I hate that - that you actually have to uncheck something. Lots of time, if you don't watch it, you get 'free' BHO's or tool bars or google chrome or who knows what else...

I still have the free version on several pc's. It finds things others miss! I haven't used CCleaner in a while, but used to use it often!
          I started using System Mechanic Pro on a couple of old PC's I had laying around - PC Magazine and several other PC places give it good ratings. It really did seem them up and resolve issues.

I REALLY miss the days of DOS when you could actually DELETE a program simply deleting its directory and subdirectories. When you 'uninstall' a Windows program, it seems to leave pieces of itself all over the place --- dlls, data directories, registry entries....

http://www.iolo.com/products/system-...-professional/ -- but NEVER pay full price for it - you can almost always find it for at least 50% off! (or use the free trial version)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've got Malwarebytes but it never seems to do anything. When I click on it a window pops up asking "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" I click yes and nothing ever happens

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I've got Malwarebytes but it never seems to do anything. When I click on it a window pops up asking "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" I click yes and nothing ever happens

Hmmm... maybe you have malware blocking you from running the malware remover that removes the malware that keeps your malware remover from loading!

Try uninstalling it, reboot, then downloading and installing the new free version.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                May be way out of date

Comment

Thank you, LittleJoe, I got the Malwarebyte and it cleaned up the PCKeeper and everything, $40 for 2 years. I had to reboot, of course, to get full effect.
                  Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    Thank you, LittleJoe, I got the Malwarebyte and it cleaned up the PCKeeper and everything, $40 for 2 years. I had to reboot, of course, to get full effect.
                    You're Welcome! I'm glad it helped. They are well trusted in the industry!

Comment

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php <-- if you don't want Windows 10 and want to work on older hardware.

Me, I'm quite happy with Windows 10 (got my work laptop, my personal one, my wife's laptop, the two kiddy laptops on Windows 10, and installed it to bootcamp on a friend's Macbook)
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment