Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Empiricism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
    Given your lack of intellect and better judgment denying their existence would be rather easy to do.
    I wish you believed in commas. Did they have those at Kenneth Copeland High?
    The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Holding is, of course, biased.
      And so are you, doesn't change the facts in that video. I am biased as well, everyone is. It's never an excuse to deny facts.

Atheism is simply the position that all deities do not exist outside the human imagination. The imagined deity does however affect human behaviour. The atheist activist is mostly interested in ensuring that that behaviour is not detrimental to the society generally.
      In my general experience that isn't the case. They are usually more concerned about avoiding any kind of religious display that might "offend" them, regardless of how benign it might be. Even things as simple as cross necklaces often get them upset.

The problem being that the deist imagines an authority above the civil law that gives him permission to do stupid things and indulge in bigotry and so on.
      Since when do deists believe that? Most theists don't even believe that except in extreme cases(such as being forced to deny God, or worship false gods). You should learn about things before you criticize them. I at least attempt to do that, even if I do fail* from time to time.

*I'm never going to be able to learn every subject, and have made mistakes in the past. No doubt I will in the future too.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
        If I had to listen to the "gerbil" blather on about Jesus I too would deny my intellect and better judgement and embrace atheism.
        Lord Trout!
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

The problem being that the deist imagines an authority above the civil law that gives him permission to do stupid things and indulge in bigotry and so on.
          So when an atheist does these things he's doing it without permission?
          I'm sure I have no idea where you're taking this thing.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Atheism is simply the position that all deities do not exist outside the human imagination.
            It may be good to distinguish between soft atheism/lack of belief in gods vs. hard atheism/belief in no gods (position you state).

Comment

Atheism is simply the position that all deities do not exist outside the human imagination.
              I read that as 'all diets do not exist outside the human imagination', which I think is true.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Even things as simple as cross necklaces often get them upset.
                That's not acceptable obviously, but the next time you’re feeling persecuted, go have a read of Jessica Ahlquist’s hate mail. This is how some immature Christians love their neighbour. It all has to stop.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

That's not acceptable obviously, but the next time you’re feeling persecuted, go have a read of Jessica Ahlquist’s hate mail.
                  I wouldn't call said incidents "persecution" makes the term cheap. There are Christian facing real persecution across the globe, often being killed for their beliefs. Glad you agree that said behavior is unacceptable though.

This is how some immature Christians love their neighbour. It all has to stop.
                  That there are immature petty Christians is granted. However, that's not usually what "activist atheists" go after in my experience. They usually want any and all religious items/ideas removed from the public sector. Essentially they want to shut up their opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    However, that's not usually what "activist atheists" go after in my experience. They usually want any and all religious items/ideas removed from the public sector. Essentially they want to shut up their opponents.
                    Church/state separation is good for everyone. It is about having equal rights regardless of race, creed, colour, sex and sexual orientation. The threat to your Republic comes from the Christian Right Dominionist Movement.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Church/state separation is good for everyone. It is about having equal rights regardless of race, creed, colour, sex and sexual orientation. The threat to your Republic comes from the Christian Right Dominionist Movement.
                      As I Christian I'd agree that separation of church and state is a great thing.
                      However, if you think that the threat to our republic is from the Christian Right then I'd caution you strongly on that count.

Tyranny has been around longer than Christianity and if we don't embrace the fact that all men, regardless of professed faith (or lack thereof), are dangerous, then we won't see a real threat to our republic until it is too late.

You don't believe there is a god.
                      That means every tyrant, every injustice, every evil, and every oppressive government was solely the product of man's nature.
                      Just because someone is free of god doesn't mean he's free of that nature.

Atheist and Theist alike had better join hands on this and beat back our current government.
                      We've already lost quite a bit - squabbling among ourselves let's the current Tyranny take further action against all of us.

Comment

Oh we need an amen button.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Oh we need an amen button.

Comment

Looks as if the inaugural thread in Apologetics goes to the Theists.
                            Current score: 1:0 Theists:Atheists

Anytime you guys need more help just give me a call.
                            My work here is done.

Comment

Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
                              Looks as if the inaugural thread in Apologetics goes to the Theists.
                              Current score: 1:0 Theists:Atheists

Anytime you guys need more help just give me a call.
                              My work here is done.
                              . . . and Napoleon won the Battle of Waterloo. This thread is confusing nonsense.

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                . . . and Napoleon won the Battle of Waterloo. This thread is confusing nonsense.

Frank
                                No need to be a sore loser.
                                To be fair, you didn't show up until the battle was decided.

I'm sure things will go better next round.

Comment