Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Smith's Marriage Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith's Marriage Scam

If I recall correctly, at least 11 of the "wives" of Joseph Smith were already married to other men - usually followers of Smith - when he "married" them. At least one of them was divorced.

Why, exactly, was it necessary for Smith to marry so many women?

His own wife, of course, didn't like it at all, and protested, but Smith came up with a "revelation" that God would destroy her if she didn't keep quiet.

It's not the first time his wife showed good judgment over Smith - like when he owned the hotel with a bar in it, and she protested and demanded it be removed.

http://josephsmithspolygamy.org/hist...-in-june-1842/

Source: Doctrines and Covenants 132

51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to prove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.

52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.

53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been faithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.

54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.

55 But if she will not abide this commandment, then shall my servant Joseph do all things for her, even as he hath said; and I will bless him and multiply him and give unto him an hundred-fold in this world, of fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, houses and lands, wives and children, and crowns of eternal lives in the eternal worlds.

56 And again, verily I say, let mine handmaid forgive my servant Joseph his trespasses; and then shall she be forgiven her trespasses, wherein she has trespassed against me; and I, the Lord thy God, will bless her, and multiply her, and make her heart to rejoice.

57 And again, I say, let not my servant Joseph put his property out of his hands, lest an enemy come and destroy him; for Satan seeketh to destroy; for I am the Lord thy God, and he is my servant; and behold, and lo, I am with him, as I was with Abraham, thy father, even unto his exaltation and glory.

© Copyright Original Source

(Bolding mine)

I think one of the most interesting things I ever saw on Tweb was certain of the Mormon defenders trying to explain this "prophecy" of Smith.

Smith's "prophecy" demanded that "Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else." So, OTHER women could marry Smith even though they were already married, and Smith could marry other women, but Emma was forced to be a "one woman man".
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-01-2016, 12:25 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

You might want to rearrange the words in quotes describing Emma Smith at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      You might want to rearrange the words in quotes describing Emma Smith at the end.
      I'll leave them as is with the caveat that your keen observation noted a verb agreement problem in the way I constructed it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think the answer should be obvious. He wanted an excuse to sleep with lots of women.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          I think the answer should be obvious. He wanted an excuse to sleep with lots of women.
          Sure, but it's interesting to see Mormon defenders trying to justify that with a straight face.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X