Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The mob that killed Joseph

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    I found this in the mean time. You can correlate this with what Stuart Crane explained about the Nazi officers surrendering, who were German Masons. Joseph Smith gave that sign.
    http://fr.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smit...ry_of_distress

Still looking.
    Yes, that's what I said here...

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But, as far as I know, nobody dressed like Indians. Yes, I believe that there were Masons in the mob, and Smith is alleged to have flashed the "gang sign" (kidding) for help from his Mason friends. Smith had been the grand poobah of the local lodge, but he had also swindled some of his fellow Masons and former followers out of their life savings with his phony bank, and he had duped some of their wives into "marrying" him.

I'm thinking maybe you got the Mountain Meadows Massacre story and Smith's own 'tar and feathering' event mixed in.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well I missed this one . . . ". . . Smith voluntarily surrendered to the authorities at the county seat at Carthage to face the charges against him. While he was in jail awaiting trial, an armed mob of men with painted faces stormed the jail and shot him and his brother Hyrum to death. . . ." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Joseph_Smith

Still looking though. And now I found such a reference:

Source: http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Religion/The-Prophets/Question1494755_E2D2C0.html

More than one hundred men (dressed as Indians) from surrounding areas of Missouri and Illinois stormed the jail, killing both Joseph and his brother Hyrum and severely wounding John Taylor. Section 135:3 of the "Doctrine and Covenants" has this to say about Joseph: "Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord's anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated." Joseph was also a Candidate for President of the United States in 1844.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by 37818; 01-03-2016 at 05:57 AM.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well I missed this one . . . ". . . Smith voluntarily surrendered to the authorities at the county seat at Carthage to face the charges against him. While he was in jail awaiting trial, an armed mob of men with painted faces stormed the jail and shot him and his brother Hyrum to death. . . ." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Joseph_Smith

Source: http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Religion/The-Prophets/Question1494755_E2D2C0.html

More than one hundred men (dressed as Indians) from surrounding areas of Missouri and Illinois stormed the jail, killing both Joseph and his brother Hyrum and severely wounding John Taylor. Section 135:3 of the "Doctrine and Covenants" has this to say about Joseph: "Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord's anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated." Joseph was also a Candidate for President of the United States in 1844.

"funtrivia"?

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

They were NOT dressed as Indians.

Source: http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Martyrdom_of_Joseph_and_Hyrum_Smith

Despite his promises of protection and a fair trial, Governor Ford allowed the Smiths to be imprisoned by their enemies without bail and without a hearing on a wholly new charge of treason for having declared martial law in Nauvoo. Stating that he had to "satisfy the people," the Governor ignored clear warnings of danger and disbanded most of the troops. He then left the hostile Carthage Greys to guard the jail and took the most dependable troops with him to Nauvoo.

During the governor's absence, a mob of between one hundred and two hundred armed men-many of them from the disbanded Warsaw militia-gathered in late afternoon, blackened their faces with mud and gunpowder, and then stormed the jail. In less than two minutes, they overcame feigned resistance from the Greys, rushed upstairs, and fired through the closed door. Hyrum, shot first, died instantly. John Taylor, an apostle, tried to escape out a window and was shot five times, but survived to later become the Church's third President. Only Willard Richards, another apostle, survived unharmed. Trying to go out the window to deflect attention from the two survivors inside, Joseph Smith was hit in the chest and collarbone with two shots from the open doorway and two more from outside the window. His final words as he fell to the ground outside the jail were, "O Lord, my God!" (HC 6:618). As rumors spread that the Mormons were coming, the mob dispersed.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "funtrivia"?
    I sent them a correction.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I sent them a correction.
    This part is a hoot....

Trying to go out the window to deflect attention from the two survivors inside, Joseph Smith was hit in the chest and collarbone with two shots from the open doorway and two more from outside the window. His final words as he fell to the ground outside the jail were, "O Lord, my God!*" (HC 6:618). As rumors spread that the Mormons were coming, the mob dispersed.

In a drastic attempt to make Smith a martyr, he wasn't "running for his life", he was "trying to save the two survivors inside".

And the part about rumors that the Mormons were coming -- they were already THERE - to dispense justice (albeit totally improper) to the man who had swindled them out of money, property, wives, honor....

*this was supposedly the "distress signal" in hopes that his fellow Masons would save him.

8. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This part is a hoot....

Trying to go out the window to deflect attention from the two survivors inside, Joseph Smith was hit in the chest and collarbone with two shots from the open doorway and two more from outside the window. His final words as he fell to the ground outside the jail were, "O Lord, my God!*" (HC 6:618). As rumors spread that the Mormons were coming, the mob dispersed.

In a drastic attempt to make Smith a martyr, he wasn't "running for his life", he was "trying to save the two survivors inside".

And the part about rumors that the Mormons were coming -- they were already THERE - to dispense justice (albeit totally improper) to the man who had swindled them out of money, property, wives, honor....

*this was supposedly the "distress signal" in hopes that his fellow Masons would save him.
    Yeah, it's an interesting take on it especially considering that he was the primary target.

I'm always still in trouble again

You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    They were NOT dressed as Indians.

Source: http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Martyrdom_of_Joseph_and_Hyrum_Smith

Despite his promises of protection and a fair trial, Governor Ford allowed the Smiths to be imprisoned by their enemies without bail and without a hearing on a wholly new charge of treason for having declared martial law in Nauvoo. Stating that he had to "satisfy the people," the Governor ignored clear warnings of danger and disbanded most of the troops. He then left the hostile Carthage Greys to guard the jail and took the most dependable troops with him to Nauvoo.

During the governor's absence, a mob of between one hundred and two hundred armed men-many of them from the disbanded Warsaw militia-gathered in late afternoon, blackened their faces with mud and gunpowder, and then stormed the jail. In less than two minutes, they overcame feigned resistance from the Greys, rushed upstairs, and fired through the closed door. Hyrum, shot first, died instantly. John Taylor, an apostle, tried to escape out a window and was shot five times, but survived to later become the Church's third President. Only Willard Richards, another apostle, survived unharmed. Trying to go out the window to deflect attention from the two survivors inside, Joseph Smith was hit in the chest and collarbone with two shots from the open doorway and two more from outside the window. His final words as he fell to the ground outside the jail were, "O Lord, my God!" (HC 6:618). As rumors spread that the Mormons were coming, the mob dispersed.

That was Indian face paint!
    https://play.google.com/books/reader...n&pg=GBS.PA329
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No history recounted in any of the written or oral accounts mentioned Indians.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No history recounted in any of the written or oral accounts mentioned Indians.
    So where did that part of the story come from?

As I had said, it is my understanding there were Masons dressed as Indians. OK. Do this, provided testimony that allegation is patently false.
    Last edited by 37818; 01-03-2016 at 09:30 PM.