Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The mob that killed Joseph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    ....As a result militia commander William H. Dame ordered his forces to kill the emigrants.
    Probably as a result of yet another 'vision from the Lord'.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      No, I am not mixing them up. I am providing information as I had heard and or read regarding Joseph Smith's killing. This was regarding Masonry and Joseph Smith was mentioned. This was about 40 years ago.

Well, it is my understand that Smith did give the "hail" sign. And they killed him anyway. In other words, he knew his killers.

That is not in this lecture [Dr Stuart Crane] but Smith and his second wife are mentioned BTW. Lecture as to do with Masonry and world finance.
      http://server.firefighters.org/catalog/1998/00133.mp3 [part ii, 1 hour 22 minutes]
      Nobody is debating that but rather the bolded part of your OP
      Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      It is my understanding that local Masons dressed as native Indians assassinated Smith for his crime against the Masonic order.

There is no indication that anyone was dressed up as Indians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        There is no indication that anyone was dressed up as Indians.
        There were numerous reports that members of the mob blackened their faces with wet gunpowder. I know of no period Indians who wore such warpaint.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          There were numerous reports that members of the mob blackened their faces with wet gunpowder. I know of no period Indians who wore such warpaint.
          Maybe they didn't want to be recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice View Post
            Maybe they didn't want to be recognized.
            And Mormons don't like to admit that many of these were his former followers who got cheated out of land, money, wives....

Comment

People were upset that he ordered the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor printing press.

Publication of the Nauvoo Expositor prompted an emergency meeting of the Nauvoo City Council to consider what if any action should be taken against what most city council members considered to be a libelous and incendiary newspaper. On June 10, the Council adopted an ordinance ("Ordinance Concerning Libels") that declared the Expositor to be a public nuisance. Immediately following the Council's action, Nauvoo Mayor Joseph Smith issued an order authorizing the destruction of the paper's publications, press equipment, and type: "You are hereby commanded to destroy the printing press from whence issues the Nauvoo Expositor, and to pi the type of said printing establishment in the street, and burn all the Expositors and libelous handbills found within said establishment." At about eight o'clock that evening, Smith's order was carried out.

The destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor whipped anti-Mormon feelings in Hancock County into a frenzy. In Carthage, citizens met and adopted a resolution expressing outrage with Smith's order and with a decision of the Nauvoo Municipal Court dismissing an arrest warrant for Smith, on the charge of inciting a riot, that had been issued the day before by a Hancock County judge. The resolution castigated "the wicked and abominable Mormon leaders" who were behind the destruction of the paper and warned that "a war of extermination" might be necessary. In response to the resolution issuing from Carthage, Smith wrote to Governor Thomas Ford inviting him to come to Nauvoo to help resolve the growing controversy and met with the Nauvoo Legion instructing them to resist if a mob of anti-Mormons attacked the town. Governor Ford declined the invitation. Rumors of an imminent assault on Nauvoo circulated in the town.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...geaccount.html

Comment

That's only one source of anger... he cheated them out of their wives, he had his phony bank scandal in which he let them "heft" the boxes of rocks, promising there was gold in the boxes, he ran his own bar in the hotel he owned, while telling others alcohol was forbidden, the fiasco at Far West, Missouri... he was just a scam artist all the way around, and people finally came to a point where they couldn't take it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  That's only one source of anger... he cheated them out of their wives, he had his phony bank scandal in which he let them "heft" the boxes of rocks, promising there was gold in the boxes, he ran his own bar in the hotel he owned, while telling others alcohol was forbidden, the fiasco at Far West, Missouri... he was just a scam artist all the way around, and people finally came to a point where they couldn't take it anymore.
                  Yup. There are SEVERAL articles archived here:

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/artindex.htm

showing the level of hatred for the Mormons, and Joseph in particular.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Yup. There are SEVERAL articles archived here:

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/artindex.htm

showing the level of hatred for the Mormons, and Joseph in particular.
                    I remember some of the Mormons defending this by saying, "well, the followers of Jesus abandoned Him, too!" (usually referring to John 6:66 or similar)

But the followers of Jesus who "followed Him no more" didn't paint their faces black and come back as a mob to try to kill Him. Nor did He do anything to cheat or scam them.

Comment

Wasn't William Law the owner of the paper?

http://www.mormonthink.com/grantpalmer/grant7.htm
                      Last edited by Janice; 09-04-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

using gunpowder as facepaint doesn't seem to be the wisest or safest thing to do when going into a gun fight.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          the wisest or safest thing to do
                          Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          going into a gun fight.
                          Enough said.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Enough said.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X