Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ethics and Job Application Questionnaires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics and Job Application Questionnaires

I recently filled out a job application that had a questionnaire with ethical questions and scales. It concerns me that there would be people willing to steal(from work or anywhere else) or use drugs(including alcohol) before or at work. Why would people behave unethically? One should not do such things. And what keeps and unethical person from just lying on the ethics survey? Because if some jerk was willing to be unethical, they'd be willing to lie about it! Or are they not always so smart and foolish enough to think that their choice isn't bad after all?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

I think it's unethical for companies to rely on those tests, which only demonstrate a person's willingness to answer in the manner that they are looking for.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I think it's unethical for companies to rely on those tests, which only demonstrate a person's willingness to answer in the manner that they are looking for.
      You agree that the tests are useless? Because smart people will just give the answers that they think the company wants to hear.

Comment

Giving a false answer on a job application is in and of itself grounds for termination. It's one of the few areas that is seldom contested. If I, as an employer, can demonstrate you lied on an employment application, you can be terminated immediately (in most states).
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meaning that if a jerk lied about being a jerk, he could then be fired when his true jerk colors showed up?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Giving a false answer on a job application is in and of itself grounds for termination. It's one of the few areas that is seldom contested. If I, as an employer, can demonstrate you lied on an employment application, you can be terminated immediately (in most states).
            That's just what I was thinking. This really isn't about determining the ethics of a potential employee so much as having evidence on file to justify a firing. Firing an employee isn't as straightforward as it was decades ago. Especially if the employee has gotten past the probationary period.

Comment

My dad claims that it is easy to get fired. Then again, I think his ideas of how the business world works is very 20th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Paula View Post
                That's just what I was thinking. This really isn't about determining the ethics of a potential employee so much as having evidence on file to justify a firing. Firing an employee isn't as straightforward as it was decades ago. Especially if the employee has gotten past the probationary period.
                Yup, whenever we had to terminate an employee, the first thing we looked at was "is there any deceit in the job application"? For example, if they claimed to be an expert in Microsoft Office, but it became obvious they didn't know the first thing about Word... or they 'boosted' their resume by claiming a degree from a college they didn't even attend, etc...
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What about things like exact dates that one doesn't remember? Like asking for the month and day one started and ended a job? And why do some applications only have three options to pick from for why you aren't working that job anymore? What would summer jobs fit under? Quit?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    What about things like exact dates that one doesn't remember? Like asking for the month and day one started and ended a job? And why do some applications only have three options to pick from for why you aren't working that job anymore? What would summer jobs fit under? Quit?
                    For your first question - I always just tried to estimate the date. I definitely don't remember the exact last day of jobs I had over ten years ago.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I've seen a few of those tests. I think there's a trick in the exam. Certain questions are asked several times but with different words and phrases. But they are still basically the same question. I think the trick is to see if the person gives the same answer to them. At least it would show consistency.
                      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        I've seen a few of those tests. I think there's a trick in the exam. Certain questions are asked several times but with different words and phrases. But they are still basically the same question. I think the trick is to see if the person gives the same answer to them. At least it would show consistency.
                        Exactly - it's well known that people will try to give the best answer that will help them land the job, rather than the answer that truly reflects their view.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          For your first question - I always just tried to estimate the date. I definitely don't remember the exact last day of jobs I had over ten years ago.
                          I don't know of any hiring manager who would fault you for not knowing the exact dates, unless it appeared you were purposely trying to hide something.

For example, if you were in prison or a halfway house for 6 months, but you "extended" your previous employment to cover that period.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            You do the best you can, and try not to have unaccounted periods. You can usually tell from past paycheck stubs (keep them) what dates you were where. Be prepared to explain in an interview missing dates or unanswered questions. But only if asked.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X