Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, Kenmore was THE appliance to get...it still may be especially if Sears still has the parts readily available. That was a big part of the Kenmore reputation. I don't know if the prices are good for you, but if the parts are guaranteed to be replaced...
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      So now that we have a house and, for the first time ever, floor space(!), one of the things we want to get asap is a freezer. My wife is a super saver when it comes to groceries, and having a freezer would be awesome.

I think I'm leaning toward a chest freezer rather than an upright one, for the additional space, but I'm more concerned with cost. Got any recommendations for cheap freezers? I'll be checking craigslist as well.
      Because heat rises and cold falls, a chest freezer doesn't "spill out" all the cold air like an upright freezer does. All things considered, this probably doesn't make any measurable difference, except that I know it's a fact.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In all practicality, the only objection to a chest freezer is that it's more "horizontal space" to pile stuff on, and if you pile stuff on it, you'll have to move that stuff to open it. When I've had a chest freezer, I installed shelving above it with enough room to open the freezer's door without hitting the bottom shelf.

The only time I'd have an upright freezer is if I had limited floor space.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Because heat rises and cold falls, a chest freezer doesn't "spill out" all the cold air like an upright freezer does. All things considered, this probably doesn't make any measurable difference, except that I know it's a fact.
          Finding stuff in a chest freezer is always an issue meaning you leave it standing open longer as you rummage around.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Finding stuff in a chest freezer is always an issue meaning you leave it standing open longer as you rummage around.
            Not me! I'm organized! And I have those wire baskets that slide back and forth, making things easier to rearrange. But, again, when it's open, the cold air "lays there" - it doesn't spill over the side onto the floor.

Comment

Well we aren't going to be getting one of the enormous, aircraft carrier-sized chest freezers. We'll get one more midsized.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Well we aren't going to be getting one of the enormous, aircraft carrier-sized chest freezers. We'll get one more midsized.
                Be sure not to get one your wife can stuff your body in.

Comment

Be sure not to get one your wife can stuff your body in.
                  If you have a chainsaw .... um, never mind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The freezer's not for my body...sheesh. What's wrong with you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Seriously, though, this is a valid consideration - be organized. Use baskets or bins or even cardboard boxes, but group similar items together, with the least used items on the bottom. Also, it helps to have a fat max marker or something to label and date things, otherwise, you'll pull a brown paper package out with no idea what it is or how long it's been in there.

Comment

Seriously, though, this is a valid consideration - be organized. Use baskets or bins or even cardboard boxes, but group similar items together, with the least used items on the bottom. Also, it helps to have a fat max marker or something to label and date things, otherwise, you'll pull a brown paper package out with no idea what it is or how long it's been in there.
                        I'm thinking about a ~7 cubic foot freezer, which isn't that big, but I expect we'll do something about organizing stuff in it regardless. My wife is just that way.

Comment

I'm thinking about a ~7 cubic foot freezer, which isn't that big, but I expect we'll do something about organizing stuff in it regardless. My wife is just that way.
                          And it's GREAT when there's a good sale on stuff, and you actually have room to capitalize on that!

Comment

If you'll look at Rogue ' s links....you'll see chest freezers with serious organization tools.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Just make sure you put the date on the wrapping for when you caught the possums.

Comment

Also, I would recommend one of the food saver products - the ones that vacuum the air out of the 'cut to size' plastic freezer bags. After a while, steaks, for example, get freezer burn, and it really affects the taste. We've been using the food saver to buy in bulk, divide the bulk product into individual or "two fer" packages, and clearly label and date them.

Something like this, but there are often better deals on Amazon.

foodsaver.jpg

You can clearly see what it is you have frozen (as opposed to butcher paper).

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X