Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So...They Traveled to the Mideast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...They Traveled to the Mideast.

1) Is it not one of the five requirements of Islam - to visit Mecca at least once?

2) They have relatives in the area. Why not visit them?

This criteria of determining if one radicalized has always puzzled me.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    1) Is it not one of the five requirements of Islam - to visit Mecca at least once?
    Yes, the pilgrimage to Mecca is one of the 5 Pillars of Islam. The only time it isn't required is if you are sick or poor.

Depends on the country. Also depends on the relatives.

Well, perhaps they are taking into account 1. 2 would need to take into account who the family members were. For instance, visiting Osama bin Laden* is going to raise red flags, while your average Mohammed won't necessarily do so.

*He's dead now obviously, but I think you get my point.

Comment

Ok. Good points. It's one of the first items I see when the media reports on those individuals.

Comment

There are many ... for lack of a better term... "secular" Muslims in the US. They take "a trip to Mecca" about as seriously as many Christians do witnessing or soulwinning.

The fact that a Muslim takes the time and expense to make the pilgrimage indicates a greater degree of commitment to Islam, but is only part of the overall equation. Additionally, the "stops along the way" may be instructive - where they stopped, and for how long.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Who are you talking about?
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I keep seeing this point being raised whenever a Muslim is suspected or has in fact attacked someone or someplace. Most recently that poor Philly cop almost assassinated by an avowed Muslim who had visited the Mideast recently.

Also, in relation to the Loma Linda shootout last month, they made a big deal of the Muslim couple's ties to the Mideast.

Comment

Can't we distinguish between being radicalized and taking your religion seriously? This isn't just about Islam, either. You hear about "radical Christians", and I don't think people should be allowed to smuggle that adjective in unchallenged since I think we all know the term "radical" has certain connotations. This guy was really a radical Muslim but it isn't just because he went to Mecca.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I keep seeing this point being raised whenever a Muslim is suspected or has in fact attacked someone or someplace. Most recently that poor Philly cop almost assassinated by an avowed Muslim who had visited the Mideast recently.

Also, in relation to the Loma Linda shootout last month, they made a big deal of the Muslim couple's ties to the Mideast.
                Ahh, I think is does actually depend where in the Middle East they were visiting.

If they were just going to Mecca, or visiting Uncle Mohammed then no problem

If they were visiting Abdullah's "Terrorists R Us" training college, then a wee bit of a problem.
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Mainstream Media rarely have anything intelligent to offer or say these days---One should not take them too seriously......

The term "Middle East" is itself curious---at least to me.....apparently it comprises of the following transcontinental countries.
                  ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_EastThe use of the term "radicalized" is also biased---in that, it focuses mainly on how Muslim youth become violent---when actually the phenomenon is more general....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radicalization

Some observations from research...
                  ....and this is also interesting.....

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                    [I]Mainstream Media rarely have anything intelligent to offer or say these days---One should not take them too seriously......
                    Finally, something on which we can agree!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X