Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

my water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    The down side to the Anode Rods are they are designed to be "eaten up". That means of course corrosion. If you wait too long the corrosion gets into the threads and it basically becomes nearly impossible to remove the old rod. So, first advice is to change it before it corrodes to far up. Most manufacturers recommend replacing it annually, but that really is determined by your initial water quality. In my town we have bad water so I replace mine about every 2 years...but I pull it annually to check it and to break loose the threads.
    Mine's been in there at least 10 years. I can see this is going to be fun.
    BTW, I'm not the plumber, my Dad is so these are things I've learned from him...

Before you get started, close the shutoff valve (hopefully you have one, if not, shut off the water to the house), turn on the hot water at a faucet to relieve pressure, and I usually turn off the electricity (or turn the gas to pilot mode) on the heater. It never hurts to go ahead and open the drain valve near the bottom of the tank and drain out several gallons of water. This helps flush out junk in the bottom and you can see if you have any rust already in the tank.

If you have one of those hammer drills or impact wrenches they work the best. I have a battery powered one that works great. You just need to get it loosened, don't use the drill to take it all the way out. Most water heaters have a glass lining and banging the anode rod on the sides will crack the lining causing you more problems that the rod replacement helps. So just hit it with the drill and get it loose, then unscrew it the rest of the way by hand.
    Thanks!
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment