Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Calvary is Judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvary is Judo

When I was a young police officer, I was dating the girl who would become my wife. She was such a tiny thing, and I was talking to her about the fact that she didn't have to be a big person to defend herself. I was involved in Judo at the time - a type of Judo specially modified for police work - and I decided to show her how she could turn the force and strength and mass of a person attacking her to defend herself. I showed her how, as I approached her, she could move my arm aside, turn to her side, pull my arm down while thrusting her hip out, and throw me on the ground, using my own momentum. We just did a few slow motion "walk throughs", and I didn't actually end up on the ground. Until I met her Dad for the first time.

Her Dad worked for BF Goodrich, and was gone a lot. I had been to her house numerous times, had met her Mom and her brother and sister, but never met her Dad. One day wife-to-be and I had been riding horses, and we were headed back to her house. As I pulled in her driveway, she said, "Oh, good, my Dad is home, and you'll get to meet him". I was nervous. But it was going to get worse.

As we walked up the walkway to her front door, she suddenly took the lead, opened the door, and stepped inside. I was in the process of stepping inside, myself, when she yelled, "Dad, look what I can do!" She turned around, grabbed my wrist, threw my arm up in the air, thrust her hip out, and pulled me over, literally throwing me upsidedown onto the carpet at his feet. I slammed onto the floor on my back, knocking the wind out of my lungs, panting and gasping for air, as her Dad, sitting on the couch reading the paper, said, "OK, you can keep him."

Peter Kreeft, Roman Catholic theologian said…
    Calvary is Judo. The enemy’s own power is used to defeat him. Satan’s craftily orchestrated plot, rolled along according to his plan by his agents Judas, Pilate, Herod and Caiaphas culminated in the death of God. And this very event, Satan’s conclusion, was God’s premise. Satan’s end was God’s means. It saved the world. Christians celebrate the greatest evil and the greatest tragedy of all time as Good Friday”.

Judo is all about using the enemy's force against him.

Calvary, it seems, is indeed Judo.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Closet Catholic, and a wimpy one at that!
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X