Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian Origins and the Question of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent most of Christian life "off" myself...and am likely still "off" on things. God did not give up on me...I will not give up on others with whom I can relate so well....
    Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildflower View Post
      Is the difference between the historic first century Jewish Christian perspective and the modern American Christian perspective especially troubling to you? Why or why not?
      No. I certainly wouldn’t want to live in ancient Rome, nor in 1st Cent Palestine. I wouldn’t want to undo the Enlightenment or everything we’ve discovered since. It does mean we have to do some work applying Scripture to our context, but that’s why Jesus gave the Church the authority of loosing and binding.

Do you find it difficult to attend a church that has no understanding of the original context/understanding?
      I certainly wouldn’t attend such a church. Wright’s work is just the most recent version of what mainline scholarship has been doing since the 18th Cent. I wouldn’t consider attending a Church that doesn’t use such scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by hedrick View Post
        No. I certainly wouldn’t want to live in ancient Rome, nor in 1st Cent Palestine. I wouldn’t want to undo the Enlightenment or everything we’ve discovered since. It does mean we have to do some work applying Scripture to our context, but that’s why Jesus gave the Church the authority of loosing and binding.

I certainly wouldn’t attend such a church. Wright’s work is just the most recent version of what mainline scholarship has been doing since the 18th Cent. I wouldn’t consider attending a Church that doesn’t use such scholarship.
        Thanks for the reply. May I ask which books from Wright you have read?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

Comment

Mostly shorter ones

After you believe
          For All God's Worth
          Hos God Became King
          Scripture and the authority of God
          Simply Christian
          Surprised by Hope

Also some of Jesus and the Victory of God, but I don't have them handy.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Yes.

I would, yes.

I became Orthodox.
            Would you mind summarizing what about Orthodoxy attracted you?
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Based on the situations described in Paul's letters, I don't think he would be surprised by the current situation. His letters suggest independent congregations with various Christian leaders traveling around trying to convince the congregations of their point of view. Not so different from today.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                Would you mind summarizing what about Orthodoxy attracted you?
                Its organic connection to the early church was the initial draw (interestingly enough, this sense developed primarily from reading N. T. Wright's which are the topic of this thread and from an online series of courses at Reclaiming the Mind - neither of which promote Orthodoxy per se). The tipping point came when I felt simultaneously pulled by the Holy Spirit that way and unexpectedly repelled by my old church; I had been content to remain a Southern Baptist until then, even if I didn't always care for the praise & worship music which was increasinly replacing hymns. I now very much appreciate Orthodoxy's structured prayers and the sacrament of confession (it's not easy confessing my sins, but I feel so much better afterward).
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Its organic connection to the early church was the initial draw (interestingly enough, this sense developed primarily from reading N. T. Wright's which are the topic of this thread and from an online series of courses at Reclaiming the Mind - neither of which promote Orthodoxy per se). The tipping point came when I felt simultaneously pulled by the Holy Spirit that way and unexpectedly repelled by my old church; I had been content to remain a Southern Baptist until then, even if I didn't always care for the praise & worship music which was increasinly replacing hymns. I now very much appreciate Orthodoxy's structured prayers and the sacrament of confession (it's not easy confessing my sins, but I feel so much better afterward).
                  Ok, thanks. I find myself interested in Orthodoxy, though I don't know very much at all about it. I'm not really sure what you'd call me now. I was raised Southern Baptist, and while I mostly still identify that way, I do disagree on some issues.
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                    Ok, thanks. I find myself interested in Orthodoxy, though I don't know very much at all about it. I'm not really sure what you'd call me now. I was raised Southern Baptist, and while I mostly still identify that way, I do disagree on some issues.
                    Bishop Kallistos Ware wrote a good introduction called "The Orthodox Church."
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Ok, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hedrick View Post
                        Based on the situations described in Paul's letters, I don't think he would be surprised by the current situation. His letters suggest independent congregations with various Christian leaders traveling around trying to convince the congregations of their point of view. Not so different from today.
                        There were indeed different points of view. But don't you think a distinction can be made between those views which were and are Jewish-Christian and those that lost their Jewish roots altogether? Can Christianity be properly understood without properly understanding its Jewish roots? How far can modern Christianity go from its roots before it becomes a different plant?
                        Last edited by Wildflower; 01-26-2016, 09:31 PM.

Comment

There were indeed different points of view. But don't you think a distinction can be made between those views which were and are Jewish-Christian and those that lost their Jewish roots altogether? Can Christianity be properly understood without properly understanding its Jewish roots? How far can modern Christianity go from its roots before it becomes a different plant?
                          To be fair, IMO only Gnosticism completely lost its Jewish roots (most notably Marcionism, which explicitly rejected the OT); nearly all Christians today still have a high view of the Jewish scriptures, so there is at least some grounding remaining.

sigpic

Comment

To be fair, IMO only Gnosticism completely lost its Jewish roots (most notably Marcionism, which explicitly rejected the OT); nearly all Christians today still have a high view of the Jewish scriptures, so there is at least some grounding remaining.
                            You are fortunate to see so many Christians with this understanding. But its not only a high view of Jewish scripture that is important, but a Jewish-Christian understanding of those scriptures. The experiential emphasis in so many modern Christians has, in my view, completely replaced a care for understanding the original. Why care about what the scriptures actually mean when you can apply your own understanding? When what "feels" right, when what helps you this moment takes priority over what actually is the right understanding exegetically.

I do appreciate the comments, I am trying to work this out. I just don't know where the line is. How far can we go from what the words originally meant and still be "Christian"? I must add, though, that I keep coming back to knowing that the Holy Spirit is still working to lead, guide, and give understanding to those who truly seek. But I see so much laziness, so much taking for granted, so much having Christianity as a "culture" rather than a desire to actually know God for God.

Comment

You are fortunate to see so many Christians with this understanding. But its not only a high view of Jewish scripture that is important, but a Jewish-Christian understanding of those scriptures. The experiential emphasis in so many modern Christians has, in my view, completely replaced a care for understanding the original. Why care about what the scriptures actually mean when you can apply your own understanding? When what "feels" right, when what helps you this moment takes priority over what actually is the right understanding exegetically.
                              When feeling trumps obedience, then IMO there are issues beyond having a Jewish-Christian understanding.

sigpic

Comment

I am sad about it, like I'm watching my own family. I pray, and I'm seeking what I'm to do. For now I'm just trying to learn the original foundation and perhaps I will better see where the problems are and how to effectively pray and respond. Im thankful for the input as I am on this quest....

Comment