Announcement

Collapse

Glory Seed Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

These daily devotionals are brought to you by Gary Piper, a writer with our Sister Site, Natural Spirit Ministries. TheologyWeb encourages you to visit and support their site.... they have many informative articles which can be discussed right here. If you enjoy Gary Piper's devotionals, please send him an encouraging note or post. We are very appreciative of our partnership with Natural Spirit Ministries and look forward to many more co-ventures.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Glory Seed Devotional, 01/19/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glory Seed Devotional, 01/19/2016

Glory Seed Devotionals, 2016: Expedition of Light and Truth
    Testing or trusting…

“Jesus responded, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the LORD your God.’”” (Matthew 4:7, NLT)

This past Sunday at church I found myself in somewhat of a quandary. Jesus in his standoff with Satan made it quite clear we’re not suppose to put God to the test. Most of the time I do my best to take Jesus at his word but I’ve not done so well in the past. Sunday I had an assignment at church I wasn’t sure I could fulfill. Because of pulmonary fibrosis there are times when I get severe coughing spells (I blacked out one day last week due to one) and I wasn’t sure that wouldn’t happen again. To matters worse I started coughing several minutes before we were to move out in front of the congregation. However, in spite of my apprehension I told myself God wouldn’t let it happen and went on with my assignment. I only coughed a couple of times throughout the worship period.

Several minutes after the worship service was over I found myself wondering had I put God to the test. I asked myself – when do we cross the line between testing God and trusting God? I’ve never really thought about that before because I’ve never really thought about what it means to test God. I’ve read and re-read Jesus’ standoff with Satan and what Satan was trying to do but this was different – I wasn’t asking God to prove Himself – or was I? For me it comes down to a matter of hope, belief, faith, and trust. The book of Hebrews tells us, “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.” (Hebrews 11:1, NLT)

Over the course of my life (especially the past 10 years or so) I have come to place my hope and trust in God because He has proven Himself trustworthy over-and-over, not because I have asked Him to prove Himself but because His proof is in His positive impact on my (and your) life. I’m not sure whether you’ve ever considered the line separating testing God and trusting God or not but in case you ever do just remember the next time you see a sunrise or the sunshine after the rain you’ll have all the proof you’ll ever need to know.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might!
    Grace and PEACE, Amen!
    Gary

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    ”Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, for they will walk in the light of your presence, LORD.” (Psalm 89:15, NLT)

Note: Should you want to go back and review this Glory Seed or if you would like to subscribe so you can receive them in your email you can do so by clicking on this link: http://gloryseeds.wordpress.com/.

If you would like inspirational music playing as you read this Glory Seed may I suggest clicking on this link: http://www.abidingradio.org/listen/

“Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.”
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X