Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Dr. Mercola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Mercola

Quack or visionary?
    I am become death...

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
    Quack or visionary?

Do you mean Dr. Mercola?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm always wary when someone is referred to as a "quack" or a "crank". Especially if that's the only response to someone. My life was saved by a doctor that we later found out others thought of as a "crank". This was by other doctors in the related field too, that field being neurology. Having said that, I don't know much of anything about Dr. Mercola, only that he's nearly universally derided by other doctors.

Comment

Thread title hopefully fixed

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Definately a Quack. First, no credible doctor will recommend a tanning bed. They will reccommend exposure to natural sunlight with good skin coverage if concerned about sunscreen, and green light exposure during the winter. Dr. Mercola instead wants to sell you HIS tanning bed. (problem he wants to sell you his product, not one you can buy a lowes.) Here's a study for the green light btw. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181775/ which a very different alternative medicine dr. told me I could go buy at the hardware store.
          His sight sells his own brand of vitamins, and does not give you the option of buying better or comparible brands for equal or lesser value at a local store or through mail order (for a lesser price you can order 40 bucks worth of supplements at Nature's Sunshine, and get the member's discount FYI, and they are sold by physicians, chiropractor's, naturopath's and health food stores around the U.S and worldwide, just FYI)
          He also posted a thing that said HIV doesn't cause aids ermmm... NO that's just CRAP!

In an earlier thread I had linked to his private practice reviews before it closed. Patient's were not satisfied. I'll find it and put it in here later.
          I am all for alternative medicine, I am for many things people would consider "quackery." I am for them because they work or have worked for me personally, but I am not ok with exxagerrated claims and non-scientific support that Mercola runs around with. Why? because it makes it that much harder for anyone who trusts an herbal remedy or an essential oil to work better than a pharmaceutical for a particular ailment look like an idiot, or as if they are following a "false" claim, as opposed to something that might have a time tested claim. not ok in my book. IMO I would have nothing to do with him. He might have a D.O. behind his name, but that does not mean he isn't a selfish naricissist.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

He WAS one of the first ones to expose the link between the FDA and Merck WRT the Gardasil approval...
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              He WAS one of the first ones to expose the link between the FDA and Merck WRT the Gardasil approval...
              stopped clock?
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Basically yes. And it was a few years ago. Since then is when the insanity happen. He did a few things well and correctly, then money went to his head.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  I'm always wary when someone is referred to as a "quack" or a "crank". Especially if that's the only response to someone. My life was saved by a doctor that we later found out others thought of as a "crank". This was by other doctors in the related field too, that field being neurology. Having said that, I don't know much of anything about Dr. Mercola, only that he's nearly universally derided by other doctors.
                  Many doctors put stuff into the Internet. Also consider TV doctors, though they are not very many. Now, I cannot recall any deriding. I think you, Cerebrum, should link to several webpages that contain such deriding; your post needs observer support.

Possibly I should add that it seems odd (at least in my eyes) to say that you don't know much about Dr M and then add that bit about near-universal deriding by other doctors.

Wrongly tearing down a doctor's reputation is a serious sin in my eyes. I am concerned that Mercola does not deserve very much Catholicity's scorn. I would like for her to provide a long list of observer support to show that her opinions are based on a strong and large foundation of observations.
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    Many doctors put stuff into the Internet. Also consider TV doctors, though they are not very many. Now, I cannot recall any deriding. I think you, Cerebrum, should link to several webpages that contain such deriding; your post needs observer support.

Possibly I should add that it seems odd (at least in my eyes) to say that you don't know much about Dr M and then add that bit about near-universal deriding by other doctors.

Wrongly tearing down a doctor's reputation is a serious sin in my eyes. I am concerned that Mercola does not deserve very much Catholicity's scorn. I would like for her to provide a long list of observer support to show that her opinions are based on a strong and large foundation of observations.
                    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...doctor&start=0

The only person I see supporting him other than himself is Dr. Oz. Dr. Oz is then derided for having Mercola on his show. Although, admittedly I should have added "in my experience" as a qualifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post

The problem I see with your request for evidence, is any I will provide first and foremost will be immediately dismissed as part of the great conspiracy of your own making. You have a habit of believing that the government and allopathic medicine is essentially "out to get you" and everyone else, hence anyone who calls out Mercola's claims as "quackish" is likely a part of the greater government conspiracy against alternative medicine. You have proven yourself time and again to be the person in the old joke who is convinced they are dead, and when the Dr. asks him if dead men bleed, the man says no. When the Dr. pokes him the man then says "well I guess dead men do bleed!" So why would I need to give you any evidence from anyone including advocates of alternative medicine will in your head, convince you of a further conspiracy?
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X