Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Baldie Vs Mariology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or have superpowers, which can't be possible. Don't think she'd have telepathy!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ce%29%E2%80%8F
      Part L #2

If some say that prophets were able to read the hearts of people (cf. 2 Kings 6:12; Acts 5:3-5) we must remember that although they had more insight than others they were never said to be able to know the totality of the hearts of all people. Only God has this knowledge (omniscience).

Comment

It would be silly to call it telepathy though... I think?

Comment

yeah you're right.
          telepathy involves communicating between minds of people/persons it seems more in a willing manner.
          Ananias did not want Peter to know what he (Ananias) was thinking - the same with the king of Syria and Elisha.
          Last edited by foudroyant; 02-25-2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
            yeah you're right.
            telepathy involves communicating between minds of people/persons it seems more in a willing manner.
            Ananias did not want Peter to know what he (Ananias) was thinking - the same with the king of Syria and Elisha.
            Watched too many superhero cartoons...

Comment

Any mention of telepathy just makes me think of the Martian Man-hunter.

Comment

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ce%29%E2%80%8F
                Part L #2

If some say that prophets were able to read the hearts of people (cf. 2 Kings 6:12; Acts 5:3-5) we must remember that although they had more insight than others they were never said to be able to know the totality of the hearts of all people. Only God has this knowledge (omniscience).
                This argument is as stupid now as it was the first time you trotted it out. The difference between knowing what 1 person is thinking and what 6 billion people are thinking is an incremental difference, not an infinite one.
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. Without Augustine's formulation of Original Sin, there would be no dogma of the Immaculate Conception; it's what spurred its development in the first place.
                  I see. Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    This argument is as stupid now as it was the first time you trotted it out. The difference between knowing what 1 person is thinking and what 6 billion people are thinking is an incremental difference, not an infinite one.
                    No one but God alone can fully know what even one person is thinking.

I would also add that since Roman Catholics pray to Mary but at the same time insist that she is not to be worshiped (latria) I wonder if they can point out anywhere in the Bible where prayer is occurring but it is not worship.
                    Let's see their example(s).
                    Last edited by foudroyant; 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

No one but God alone can fully know what even one person is thinking.
                      I dunno about that. I tend to only think of one thing at a time. Besides, how can someone know what another person is thinking without the operation of the Holy Spirit?

I would also add that since Roman Catholics pray to Mary but at the same time insist that she is not to be worshiped (latria) I wonder if they can point out anywhere in the Bible where prayer is occurring but it is not worship.
                      Let's see their example(s).
                      Source: Gen 12:13

Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Gen 13:8

And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.

Source: Gen 16:2

And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.

Is that sufficient?
                      Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A person may know what another person is thinking but they do not know the totality of their heart. That is the difference.

"Please say that you are my sister so that it may go well with me because of you, and that I may live on account of you." (Genesis 12:13, NASB).
                        That's not the same thing as the prayer I am referring to. Need I instead cite the Greek words along with their definitions?

Comment

Following tread maybe i can use it..

Comment

A person may know what another person is thinking but they do not know the totality of their heart. That is the difference.
                            I don't know anyone who claims that a saint must know the totality of their heart to hear their prayer.
                            "Please say that you are my sister so that it may go well with me because of you, and that I may live on account of you." (Genesis 12:13, NASB).
                            That's not the same thing as the prayer I am referring to. Need I instead cite the Greek words along with their definitions?
                            Thank you for spurring me to check. That brings up an important distinction - prayer in general does not connote worship; only prayer to God does. What you're trying to do is insinuate that, because prayer to God is latreia, prayer is thus always latreia. That is not legitimate.

Also, good to know you're not KJO.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

To hear all prayers and the motivations of all the hearts behind these prayers requires omniscience.

There are several prayers in the Bible not rendered unto God and everyone of them was an act of worship. For example, in 1 Kings 18:26 the followers of Baal prayed " "O Baal, answer us." (NASB)

Praying to Baal is worshiping Baal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                Wait, if Mary had to be born without sin, in order to produce Christ without the stain of sin, wouldn't that process be needed since the time of Adam and Eve? I'm thinking that this view of Original Sin is flawed.
                                You're right - as Spartacus helpfully pointed out - that its not strictly necessary. I'm arguing from Original Sin being inherited actually being the case, that Adam collectively represented humanity, and in sinning by eating the fruit with, we're all collectively guilty of that.

I think I spoke a bit too quickly in that post, but if Christ had to be born to a sinful woman... then in some sense of the word he would have be saved from sin himself. Mary was saved from sin, she neither earned it or deserved it, this was a gift given to her. In some sense she was also saved by the works of her Son, because without Him, she would have fallen as well.
                                Last edited by Leonhard; 02-26-2014, 06:57 AM.

Comment