Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The weather for 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The following is an interesting site on the trends of el ninos and la ninas over recent history, The graphs show a cyclic progressive increasing intensity of the Oceanic el ninos in a ~9-15 year cycle.

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

I would show the graph, but I do not know how to do that,
    I've captured the image, and attached it to this post. Click on the thumbnail below to enbiggen.
    [ATTACH]18190[/ATTACH]. Anomalies are calculated as a departure from a designated baseline. For measuring things like the global warming trend, we pick some baseline (say, 1940-1970) and then mean anomalies as a departure from the mean over that base period. For ONI, they are going to have new baseline 30 year period defined every 5 years, and ONI values will be given with respect to the baseline period in which they are most centralized. That is:
    Source: Description of Changes to the Oceanic Ni�o Index" (ONI)

So, ONI values during 1950-1955 will be based on the 1936-1965 base period, ONI values during 1956-1960 will be based on the 1941-1970 base period, and so on and so forth.

© Copyright Original Source

A curious numeric consequence of this is that recent ONI values have to be defined with respect to the most recent baseline period, and every 5 years they going to recalculated for the new normal, until they get to the one in which they are most central. That's unfortunate... but I can guess at why they might want to do that. Using a centralized baseline means El Nino and La Nina are both roughly matching magnitudes and opposite sign. If using baseline periods in the past, then the steady warming trends mean ONI values will bias positive, and give bigger values for El Nino than for La Nina; as an artifact of the definition as not as a real indication of the relative magnitudes of El Nino and La Nina.

A consequence of all this is that the numeric values of the index are going to bias slightly positive as you approach the most recent value. And that will of course tend to give an increased variance as well.

On top of all that, the definitions are really crude. This is okay for a heuristic guide. But it does mean it's really unsafe to read anything much into fine analysis of the raw numbers. They are given to only one figure of accuracy, which is appropriate. More than that would be pretty meaningless, I think.

So... with all that in mind. I've calculated the mean and standard deviation of ONI values for the first and the last 30 year period available on that page.

Over the first period (about 1950-1980) we have mean 0.01 and stddev 0.73
    Over the last period (about 1986-2016) we have mean 0.07 and stddev 0.83

So: yes, the variance over recent times is greater, but only slightly. And the mean is also greater, which is what I would expect from how ONI is defined, given the global warming trend going on under our feet. Most of the apparent increase in magnitude is probably not a real increase in the magnitude of ENSO itself, but an artifact of how the index is defined. It's not that warming drives a strong ENSO cycle. (It might, it might not; I don't know.) But we cannot sensibly use these numbers as evidence for or against that hypothesis, IMO.

Also: on the "cycle". This is pretty obviously not a regular cycle. Being defined in terms of departures from a mean, it must of necessity be sometimes positive and sometimes negative. But to be genuinely "cyclic" there needs to be some consistency in how changes occur. To look at this properly I should do some Fourier analysis. But I've never learned to do that properly and so I haven't added it to my spreadsheet. Instead, I ran the data through a conventional lowpass butterworth digital filter. (This is one of the basic tools I have in my spreadsheet to help look at what any time series is doing. Basically, I filter out all the high frequency noise, and retain any low frequency signal.) I've used a filter with a cut off at 5 year cycles. Such filters are a convenient way to "smooth" data. (The cutoff is not sharp; basically a signal which cycles every 5 years gets reduced by half in this filter, and so marks a kind of mid point. High frequencies get reduced much more, lower frequencies are reduced less.)

Technical note... filtering like this has a problem with maintaining sensible behaviour at the tail of a series. I pad with linear data based on regression lines, using upper and lower bounds at 95% confidence. This means that at the end of the series, the filter diverges into a high part and low part; I think this is a good way to illustrate the uncertainty we have when smoothing data with an unknown future.

Here's the smoothed data:
    [ATTACH]18188[/ATTACH]
    And here it is again, with a smooth cut off at 2 year cycles:
    [ATTACH]18189[/ATTACH]

Basically, it looks to me that the ONI tends to cycle over shorter periods than 9 to 15 years; it is more like 2 to 7 years. You'd need a fourier analysis to get precise about that, however. You get the longer periods not by looking at the way it cycles, but by roughly how often you get a "big" event. And that has more to do with variance than with periodicity in the data, I suggest. The ONI index is a long way from being "cyclic"; unless everything that goes up and down could by called cyclic; which rather dilutes the meaning of the term.

Anyhoo... I've been looking for an excuse to try out the spreadsheet I've been working on the last few days and this was a nice bit of data to try with it!

Cheers -- Sylas

Comment

• Originally posted by sylas View Post
      I've captured the image, and attached it to this post. Click on the thumbnail below to enbiggen.
      [ATTACH]18190[/ATTACH]. Anomalies are calculated as a departure from a designated baseline. For measuring things like the global warming trend, we pick some baseline (say, 1940-1970) and then mean anomalies as a departure from the mean over that base period. For ONI, they are going to have new baseline 30 year period defined every 5 years, and ONI values will be given with respect to the baseline period in which they are most centralized. That is:
      Source: Description of Changes to the Oceanic Ni�o Index" (ONI)

So, ONI values during 1950-1955 will be based on the 1936-1965 base period, ONI values during 1956-1960 will be based on the 1941-1970 base period, and so on and so forth.

A curious numeric consequence of this is that recent ONI values have to be defined with respect to the most recent baseline period, and every 5 years they going to recalculated for the new normal, until they get to the one in which they are most central. That's unfortunate... but I can guess at why they might want to do that. Using a centralized baseline means El Nino and La Nina are both roughly matching magnitudes and opposite sign. If using baseline periods in the past, then the steady warming trends mean ONI values will bias positive, and give bigger values for El Nino than for La Nina; as an artifact of the definition as not as a real indication of the relative magnitudes of El Nino and La Nina.

A consequence of all this is that the numeric values of the index are going to bias slightly positive as you approach the most recent value. And that will of course tend to give an increased variance as well.

On top of all that, the definitions are really crude. This is okay for a heuristic guide. But it does mean it's really unsafe to read anything much into fine analysis of the raw numbers. They are given to only one figure of accuracy, which is appropriate. More than that would be pretty meaningless, I think.

So... with all that in mind. I've calculated the mean and standard deviation of ONI values for the first and the last 30 year period available on that page.

Over the first period (about 1950-1980) we have mean 0.01 and stddev 0.73
      Over the last period (about 1986-2016) we have mean 0.07 and stddev 0.83

So: yes, the variance over recent times is greater, but only slightly. And the mean is also greater, which is what I would expect from how ONI is defined, given the global warming trend going on under our feet. Most of the apparent increase in magnitude is probably not a real increase in the magnitude of ENSO itself, but an artifact of how the index is defined. It's not that warming drives a strong ENSO cycle. (It might, it might not; I don't know.) But we cannot sensibly use these numbers as evidence for or against that hypothesis, IMO.

Also: on the "cycle". This is pretty obviously not a regular cycle. Being defined in terms of departures from a mean, it must of necessity be sometimes positive and sometimes negative. But to be genuinely "cyclic" there needs to be some consistency in how changes occur. To look at this properly I should do some Fourier analysis. But I've never learned to do that properly and so I haven't added it to my spreadsheet. Instead, I ran the data through a conventional lowpass butterworth digital filter. (This is one of the basic tools I have in my spreadsheet to help look at what any time series is doing. Basically, I filter out all the high frequency noise, and retain any low frequency signal.) I've used a filter with a cut off at 5 year cycles. Such filters are a convenient way to "smooth" data. (The cutoff is not sharp; basically a signal which cycles every 5 years gets reduced by half in this filter, and so marks a kind of mid point. High frequencies get reduced much more, lower frequencies are reduced less.)

Technical note... filtering like this has a problem with maintaining sensible behaviour at the tail of a series. I pad with linear data based on regression lines, using upper and lower bounds at 95% confidence. This means that at the end of the series, the filter diverges into a high part and low part; I think this is a good way to illustrate the uncertainty we have when smoothing data with an unknown future.

Here's the smoothed data:
      [ATTACH]18188[/ATTACH]
      And here it is again, with a smooth cut off at 2 year cycles:
      [ATTACH]18189[/ATTACH]

Basically, it looks to me that the ONI tends to cycle over shorter periods than 9 to 15 years; it is more like 2 to 7 years. You'd need a fourier analysis to get precise about that, however. You get the longer periods not by looking at the way it cycles, but by roughly how often you get a "big" event. And that has more to do with variance than with periodicity in the data, I suggest. The ONI index is a long way from being "cyclic"; unless everything that goes up and down could by called cyclic; which rather dilutes the meaning of the term.

Anyhoo... I've been looking for an excuse to try out the spreadsheet I've been working on the last few days and this was a nice bit of data to try with it!

Cheers -- Sylas
      Fantastic!!! Thank you for the effort to create this comprehensive post

Comment

• Much of the effort was already done -- the writing of the spreadsheet that does plots and smooths and so on. I was thinking of starting a new thread to try out the spreadsheet; but then I saw this, and was able to do it with an interesting dataset that was already being discussed. So thanks!

Also, I was a tad rushed and made an error... the ONI values do increase in the mean, but it is so slight that I now doubt my thoughts about the effect of the moving baseline. The effect is probably negligible but I posted in haste, just throwing off a hypothesis I had not properly tested. So take the comments about ONI values biased upwards with a grain of salt. Any such effect is probably totally lost in the noise. Trend over the whole dataset is 0.0075 per century (+/- 0.285 at 95% confidence). In other words, there's no trend. The difference I got in mean over the first and last thirty years was 0.06 which is of no statistical significance. Also, I was wrong to say that the putative increase in mean could help explain the increase in standard deviation. What I *should* have said is that it would increase the deviation FROM ZERO; which is not the same thing. The quoted increase in standard deviation (from 0.73 to 0.83) DOES suggest increase in the magnitude of the El Nino and La Nina events; and it was a mathematical error on my part to disparage that hypothesis by pointing to the increase in mean. Ah well....

Cheers -- sylas

Comment

• http://www.drroyspencer.com/2016/09/...16-0-44-deg-c/
          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Good post on the preliminary results for August.

Comment

• There's a very good article on the topic of this thread (aimed at a non technical audience with enough interest in the subject to read some non technical summaries of technical work). The author is Gavin Schmidt, who is one of the best communicators on this whole subject area IMO. (Gavin is head of the NASA climate group based at Goddard Institute of Space Sciences; a genuine leader in the science and also someone who has been working at communicating the subject to interested amateurs, especially via the realclimate blog.)

The article is .

The first paragraph sets out clearly what the article tries to explain:
              Source: Gavin Schmidt

Weather forecasts more than a week ahead are notoriously unreliable. Yet climate scientists have been predicting since December that 2016 will be the warmest year since at least the 19th century. What gives?

The short explanation:

ENSO is singled out!

Upshot of the article. Given ENSO information only and with no consideration of observed temperatures available already so far in 2016, forecasts indicate about an 80% chance of 2016 being a new record hot year. Taking into account as well the measurements we now have for more than half of 2016: the chance becomes about a 99% chance of a new record hottest year. In Gavin's own words:

Specifically, using data through July, I am predicting 1.25 degrees Celsius (plus or minus 0.09 degrees Celsius), and a better than 99 percent chance of a record.

That number 1.25 is the "anomaly", which I have attempted to explain previously. It's the mean increase in temperatures over the globe above local climate norms established over a late 19th century baseline (1880-1899). Currently the highest measured global anomaly with this baseline is last year: 2015 with almost 1.1 degrees, and 2014 is the previous highest at a bit under 1 degree. The ENSO influence is taken as the amount above or below the long term warming trend.

Gavin ALSO looks forward to 2017...

We also have converging predictions of the ENSO state for the end of this year. The range of predicted values for December through February is 0 to -1.5 (neutral to cool conditions), and that suggests a 2017 net warming of 1.04 degrees Celsius (plus or minus 0.13 degrees Celsius). That would mean another top-ranked warm year, but not one likely to beat 2016.

Note larger uncertainty bounds on 2017 compared with 2016 forecasts, as we would expect. The expectation is for cooling again in 2017 as we come out of El Nino, but note that it is only cooler with respect the immediately preceding year. We're certainly not going back to the cooler twentieth century temperatures; not unless something really unexpected and unpredictable happens like a seriously massive volcanic eruption (which can bring in a few years of substantial cooling). The up and down swings of ENSO are not enough to swamp the ongoing warming trend, which is going to carry on giving us new record hottest years every few years.

Here's a picture of the forecasts Gavin mentions:
              • 2016 forecast based on ENSO data only.
              • 2016 forecast based on ENSO and the six months of data already taken in through July 2016.
              • 2017 forecast based on ENSO.
              schmidt-climate-2.jpg

Cheers -- sylas

Comment

• Worthy of note on the larger subject: can anyone look at the 10-year smoothened line and tell me where the supposed "pause" was?
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• It's the inflection point around 2007 as read from the graph. It is also a linear average of the data from about 2000 to around 2010 mabe even to 2012. It is a short team artifact that exists if the data is taken out of context (or if the data is observed ending anywhere between 2007 and 2013/14 and one is trying to use the short term trend over that period as a predictor) It was an artifact of the time and a lesson to those hoping to make AGW headlines (up OR down) that even over a period of 10 years a linear average of an '(isolated) current trend' is not a good measure of the actual state of the climate system.

I know during this time that several here tried to show that this isolated trend essentially disappered if one did a long term smoothed average.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-16-2016, 10:00 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• brought over from starlight's Civics thread,

Originally posted by Starlight

11th consecutive hottest month on record
                    According to NASA data, this August was the hottest August on record. The previous month was the hottest July on record. The previous month was the hottest June on record. etc. Each of the last 11 months has individually been the hottest on record of that month ever.

Here's the temperature of every month since 1880. The gradual rise in temperatures since 1880 can be seen from the color coding. But extra disturbing is the amount by which the most recent year has warmed from even the previous year.

Click image for larger version.

Name: August2016.jpg
                    Views: 0
                    Size: 20.7 KB
                    ID: 18604

For those interested in what temperatures prior to 1880 are believed to have been like from geological and ice-core sample data etc, this XKCD diagram plots the temperatures over the last 22,000 years. It's also not encouraging.

Comment

• The final analysis of August 2016 is in, and it is hot! We will be going into a general cooling trend in 2017 due to entering a La Nina cycle, but how much cooler? One goal in this thread and a 2017 thread is to compare 2017 with previous La Nina cycles. One heads up is Atlantic hurricanes should increase in intensity. The Pacific hurricanes appear to be more responsive to Global Climate change with a consistent increase in the increased of strong hurricanes, and not influenced by the El Nino/La Nina cycle.

The biggest short term impact of the hotter years is on Agriculture compounded by increased drought in the regions between arid deserts and the prime agricultural regions.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-27-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Source: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/climate-trends-continue-to-break-records

2016 Climate Trends Continue to Break Records
                        http://www.nasa.gov/earth

For more information about NASA's IceBridge, visit:

www.nasa.gov/icebridge

For more information about the ABoVE mission, visit:

http://above.nasa.gov/

Comment

• asina_N_stddev_timeseries-2.jpg

Comment

• More preliminary data is in for September and an adjustment for lower troposheric for August of +0.44 C to +0.43 C.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-10-2016, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• September's numbers are in at GISS TEMP:
                              http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/ta...LB.Ts+dSST.txt

Again, warmest September ever recorded. Of the last 12 months, 11 have been the warmest instance of that month ever recorded. (June was the only exception.) Gavin Schmidt, who heads up NASA-GISS, calculates that 2016 will now almost certainly be a record year:
                              Cu-uxSzWIAAu4yq.jpg

Comment

• October 2016 temperature update:
                                https://www.wunderground.com/news/wa...prclt=6jf5WsFi
                                It was the second warmest October on record, and 2016 still looks to be the warmest year on record. There has been a lot of heat in the Arctic and a lot of cold in Siberia lately.
                                Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment