Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Peak Oil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Peak Oil"

Where are we headed?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

well according to the sign at the gas station right down to 1.59/gallon. I can't say I hate it at the moment. It helps my wallet. EVENTUALLY if people save money it will be good for other growth?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      well according to the sign at the gas station right down to 1.59/gallon. I can't say I hate it at the moment. It helps my wallet. EVENTUALLY if people save money it will be good for other growth?
      I'm more concerned about the Global situation. I mean, sure, I'm concerned about the energy sector taking a huge hit here in Texas, but cheap oil and the current glut are far from what the experts were screaming about just a few years ago.

I'm referring to "Peak Oil".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

oh that....demand for oil is going down etc. gotta love it when predictions fall. I don't know. It looks like a typical "cycle" in the human race. We demand something, the supply goes up or down and thus the price. typical economics.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

People have been predicting "peak oil" for a long time now (as in, decades). So far, new methods for discovery and extraction have outpaced consumption.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

who was the guy here who kept going on about peak oil? Glen something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              who was the guy here who kept going on about peak oil? Glen something.
              Glen Morton?

Comment

yep

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3014
                Last edited by Sparko; 01-21-2016, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  People have been predicting "peak oil" for a long time now (as in, decades). So far, new methods for discovery and extraction have outpaced consumption.
                  I think the Saudis tried to destroy US and Chinese fracking by opening the spigots and flooding the market with cheap oil, like they did in the Jimmy Carter days, then pull back on production (along with OPEC) creating a supply problem. I think, this time, they failed to realize there was a whole lot of other oil on the market, and Iran is getting ready to join the party, while China's economy is slowing down rapidly.

Plus, as you point out, fracking and other extraction methods are getting way cheaper than they initially were.

I think the Saudis overplayed their hand, and are only shooting themselves in the foot and butt and mouth....

Comment

Peak Oil is inevitable, oil is a finite resource at one day we will have extracted most the oil that it is economically feasible to extract.

At that point oil prices will rise.

We will never really run out of oil, but it will become more expensive.

When will that happen, that's a really complicated question. And I don't have the answer to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Peak Oil is inevitable, oil is a finite resource at one day we will have extracted most the oil that it is economically feasible to extract.

When will that happen, that's a really complicated question. And I don't have the answer to it.
                      Oil is finite, the problem with the peak oil crowd is they never contended on the global economy and global growth being finite as well. Central banks created global bubbles, oil rose to meet the demand within those bubbles, people were buying and selling, credit was flowing, everything was good and booming, and now the great global bubble is deflating, global growth is disintegrating, thus no longer any demand for oil like it was before.

Comment

with electric cars and fuel cell technology, soon oil and gas demands will drop even lower. and i think soon we will be able to make our own low cost artificial petroleum products for creating plastics, lubricants, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          with electric cars and fuel cell technology, soon oil and gas demands will drop even lower. and i think soon we will be able to make our own low cost artificial petroleum products for creating plastics, lubricants, etc.
                          Electric cars help a little bit, but the electricity still mostly comes from nonrenewable resources and is less efficient. IMO demand won't stop going up until pretty much the whole world is industrialized.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            Peak Oil is inevitable,
                            But not imminent.

oil is a finite resource at one day we will have extracted most the oil that it is economically feasible to extract.

It happens in degrees in cycles, but for now, we seem to be swimming in it.

Comment

Actually even if you charge an electric car from a coal power plant, it would still produce less CO2 than if you drove a diesel car.

The transition to solar power and wind will happen in the richest country first. The middle income country will transition to a fifty fifty mixture likely. And the poorest countries will get coal power and diesel, but they'll consume relatively little compared to what we did.

Comment