Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A better design for the eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better design for the eye

"Dr." Jorge claimed in another thread:

"Oh, so NOW you get why God designed this the way He did. NOW you realize that it wasn't a "bad design" as you had boasted as a Pro-Evolutionary argument for all those decades. NOW you can make a public retraction!"

No retraction - a very simple way to improve on the 'design' of the eye:

The axons of the retinal cells converge and exit as a bundle through the optic disc, more commonly called the BLIND SPOT. it is called the BLIND SPOT because as the optic nerve forms and plunges through the retina, it creates a region where there are no photoreceptors at all. Blind.*

The axons could just as easily radiate toward the periphery of the retina, curl over the edge of it, and extend behind the retina to converge to form the optic nerve.

No blind spot.

I have thus bested the Yahweh and his haphazard 'design".

*Sure, the YEC can always claim that the blind spot is accommodated for by a neurological 'copy/paste' system. but that simply increases the requisite complexity and increases the risks of error. Simpler designs are better. Fail Yahweh.

I'm a Catholic, and I really don't like the design argument. It doesn't really demonstrate the God of classical theism, and I don't think we can consider living organisms the same way we do mechanical objects and apply similar reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I'm a Catholic, and I really don't like the design argument. It doesn't really demonstrate the God of classical theism, and I don't think we can consider living organisms the same way we do mechanical objects and apply similar reasoning.
      Likewise. The design argument is overly beholden to theistic personalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        But if God made our noses upside down, we'd drown when it rained!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
          Likewise. The design argument is overly beholden to theistic personalism.
          Maybe you could explain what you mean by this? Might be better for it to be done in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Maybe you could explain what you mean by this? Might be better for it to be done in another thread.
            Gotta admit I'm curious as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Plus your reading glasses would fall off all the time. Think of the cost!

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                Plus your reading glasses would fall off all the time. Think of the cost!
                HOWEVER!!!! If my mouth were on top of my head, I could put my lunch in my hat and eat it on the way to school!

(It also gives credence to "talking off the top of my head!")
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by nmanning View Post
                  "Dr." Jorge claimed in another thread:

"Oh, so NOW you get why God designed this the way He did. NOW you realize that it wasn't a "bad design" as you had boasted as a Pro-Evolutionary argument for all those decades. NOW you can make a public retraction!"

No retraction - a very simple way to improve on the 'design' of the eye:

The axons of the retinal cells converge and exit as a bundle through the optic disc, more commonly called the BLIND SPOT. it is called the BLIND SPOT because as the optic nerve forms and plunges through the retina, it creates a region where there are no photoreceptors at all. Blind.*

The axons could just as easily radiate toward the periphery of the retina, curl over the edge of it, and extend behind the retina to converge to form the optic nerve.

No blind spot.

I have thus bested the Yahweh and his haphazard 'design".

*Sure, the YEC can always claim that the blind spot is accommodated for by a neurological 'copy/paste' system. but that simply increases the requisite complexity and increases the risks of error. Simpler designs are better. Fail Yahweh.
                  How does this new llocation facilitate the nerve into the skull and the placement of the muscles that allow eye movement? Make a 3D model to show this better design. What DNA coding changes are needed to make this possible?
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But to drink, all you'd need to do is snort backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      How does this new llocation facilitate the nerve into the skull
                      Same way the current set-up does - the axons converge posteriorly to form the nerve, which then travels through the optic canal.
                      and the placement of the muscles that allow eye movement?
                      Muscles can be in the same place - the axons in that area can just go around them, just like small nerves course around structures all the time.

Make a 3D model to show this better design.
                      Don't have the proper software, but even a child should be able to visualize this.

What DNA coding changes are needed to make this possible?
                      I will tell you when you tell me what DNA 'coding' is required for the current structure.

Comment