Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Dementia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dementia

Two years ago I embarked on a new career -- in aged care. I started as a nursing aide, and then recently moved into activities (or "lifestyle/leisure"). A bit of background for my personal story is in the thread What's sylas been up to?, and then the update for the move into activities in msg #13 of that thread.

I want to reflect on one of the major challenging aspects of this job: dementia.

This is a really hard subject for many people, because they are dealing with dementia first hand, either with a loved one or perhaps even for yourself. It's not just academic.

At the same time, dealing with dementia often leads one to reflect on big life questions; about personal identity, about loss, about mortality. Many years ago these kinds of issues were a major part of my own loss of Christian faith; though I am not intending to use this thread to argue for that inference. I know people have all kinds of different responses to the challenges of dementia, and I'd love to hear some of them. Please, let's not use the thread to try and argue people into or out of a particular perspective.

Basically, dementia is an irreversible progressive loss of brain function. Dementia is not a disease, but rather a symptom that arises from a number of causes. Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia; there are other causes as well.

Many of the people I work with every day have dementia; and the extent to which the condition has progressed varies enormously. One resident is alert and active and knows about their own condition and its implications; another has brain function so far impaired that it even impacts upon activities like breathing and swallowing. Pragmatically, dementia is a terminal condition. Progressive loss of brain function does, in the end, mean that the body can no longer even carry out the basic functions needed to stay alive.

Along the way, people lose all kinds of other function as well; memory (long or short term); the capacity to read, or to speak in sentences, or to use cutlery for eating; there may be personality changes.

For myself, I think I manage by focusing on the person where they are right now. I have that luxury, because I am not dealing with my own parents or long term friends; I don't have to relate the person I see now with a person I remember from years ago. My job is to find activities or interests that will engage someone now. If I find something that works well, that's a big win. It doesn't matter if they have forgotten all about it an hour later (or a day later, or ten minutes after!). I can remember, and so we can repeat the activities that work, and that gives a big improvement in quality of life.

We also get family and friends coming in for visits. I love that, and will do anything in my power to encourage and support that. I have boundless respect and admiration for the people who support their loved ones for years on end; and who continue to do so as their loved ones move into a residential facility such as my workplace.

Friday was a good day; we started a "men's group", with a few of the male residents meeting in the main hall. We had drinks and snacks (and I'm going to get hold of some good honest beer next time I hope) and watched some videos of motorcycle racing (Dakar rally 2016 was won by a local boy!), robots, exploding rockets, and fun with heavy earth moving equipment. It really clicked with a couple of the guys there. On Wednesday I had another very good day, reading poetry in the lounge; residents present loved it and we got some very good reactions from unexpected quarters. But Thursday had a sad one as well; where I just had to sit and hug a resident who was weeping because she wanted to go home to her Mum.

Not quite sure where I am going with this thread. I have a thousand stories I could tell; some funny, some sad, some uplifting and joyful. I know there are people out there who are dealing with dementia; either for themselves or with someone they know. If you would like, tell us something about it in this thread...

My sisters emailed me several years ago, and told me that Mom was "getting bad". She had been in the hospital for heart surgery, and never fully recovered. They (my sisters) mentioned that Mom seemed to "go out of her head" at times, and other times, seemed normal, but seemed to be having more "out of her head" experiences.

I decided to fly up to Ohio to see for myself. She was in a rehab unit after her heart surgery, so I flew into Columbus, rented a car, and drove to Marion Ohio where she and Dad live. I found her room, and stepped in to greet her. Her eyes lit up, and we had a wonderful conversation. Nothing wrong at all. Totally sharp, "with it", "all systems go". We had been talking for about 20 minutes, when all of a sudden, she got a very puzzled look on her face, and she said, "You're a very nice man, I can tell, but have I ever met you?" She wasn't joking. It hit like a ton of bricks.

She had a picture of her 9 kids on the bed stand beside her, and I picked it up and pointed to myself in the picture, and said, "Mom, I'm this one". She began to cry, then called me by my right name, and said "I'm so sorry, of course you are, I knew that - I just get - so - confused sometimes". She was in her "right mind" again, and we talked for a few more minutes before that puzzled look came back, and she pointed behind me and asked, "are those children with you?" There were no children.

I now understood why my sisters were concerned.

Mom's heart surgery continued to have complications, and it wasn't long before she was back in the hospital. I flew to Ohio again, and visited with her in the hospital. She knew me, but you could tell she was suffering some confusion.

Her heart doctor came in, and upon finding out I was her son, motioned for me to step into the hallway. After the typical cat and mouse "I really can't answer that" kind of discussion, he finally offered that she "won't be coming home from the hospital".

Back in Mom's room, she seemed cheery. I told her it was great to see her smile. She said, "Well, I'm going home Tuesday". Now it was me who was puzzled, since the Doc had just told me she wasn't going home at all. I asked her, "Mom, who told you that you were going home on Tuesday". As clear as anything, and without hesitation, she replied "Jesus".

Two days later, at 3:54 AM on Tuesday Morning, she went to sleep in Marion Ohio and woke up in Glory.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My dad's condition is from hardening of the blood vessels, I'm told. Oxygen delivery is not consistent.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

My mother, at 92, has mild dementia. She has short term memory problems and recognizes it. She has occasional imaginings as well. Other than that she seems pretty normal for 92.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I am going to be 70 this year, and have a gradual progressive form of Dementia that is common in men most likely due to hardening and clogging of the arteries with age. I have been in excellent health for my age, and do have a heart condition, and high blood pressure (under control) due to associated circulatory disease. I had one stint three years ago. I am type 2 diabetic controlled by diet and Metformin.

I just finished a Duke University 6 month study on Dementia and got a lot of free tests. It was indicated from the memory tests that I am probably a level 1 or 2 on a scale of 10. Actually, my exit memory test was better then my first test. A possible anecdotal good news reason to follow.

My diet is basically high protein low meat, only sea fish and some chicken and turkey, none or very very little high glycemic carbohydrates (no sugar, white flour, potatoes, white rice and corn). Carbohydrates in my diet are all whole grain and 100% coarsely ground mix of grains in bread. It is high in vegetables (most of which I am personally involved in raising in a group and personally) and moderate fruit consumption. I do not have any problems with Gluten nor food allergies.

The possible good news is the supplements I use. Primary supplements are Turmeric (high dose 4-8 grams a day in capsules and in food), Glycosimen and L-Arginine. The most interesting possible good news is L-Arginine. Based on an internet reference early last year I began taking it for heart health, first at 1 gram three times a day between meals in capsule form (based on bottle recommendations). Further research indicated that it may be effective in reducing the effects and/or advancement of Dementia by improving circulation to the brain. In following the research references I found that doses of 8 to 10 grams or more were recommended. Half way through my Duke study I began upping the dosage to these levels. The relationship between the increased mental performance on tests, of course, is anecdotal and I cannot recommend it as a cure, but I do recommend individuals do the homework and decide for themselves if the want to try it.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-875-l-arginine.aspx?activeingredientid=875&activeingredientname=l-arginine

L-arginine is a chemical building block called "an amino acid." It is obtained from the diet and is necessary for the body to make proteins. L-arginine is found in red meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products. It can also be made in a laboratory and used as medicine.

L-arginine is used for heart and blood vessel conditions including congestive heart failure (CHF), chest pain, high blood pressure, and coronary artery disease. L-arginine is also used for recurrent pain in the legs due to blocked arteries (intermittent claudication), decreased mental capacity in the elderly (senile dementia), erectile dysfunction (ED), and male infertility.

Some people use L-arginine for preventing the common cold, improving kidney function after a kidney transplant, high blood pressure during pregnancy (pre-eclampsia), improving athletic performance, boosting the immune system, and preventing inflammation of the digestive tract in premature infants.

L-arginine is used in combination with a number of over-the-counter and prescription medications for various conditions. For example, L-arginine is used along with ibuprofen for migraine headaches; with conventional chemotherapy drugs for treating breast cancer; with other amino acids for treating weight loss in people with AIDS; and with fish oil and other supplements for reducing infections, improving wound healing, and shortening recovery time after surgery.

Some people apply L-arginine to the skin to speed wound healing and for increasing blood flow to cold hands and feet, especially in people with diabetes. It is also used as a cream for sexual problems in both men and women.

The following doses have been studied in scientific research:

BY MOUTH:
          For congestive heart failure: doses range from 6-20 grams per day, as three divided doses.

For chest pain associated with coronary artery disease (angina pectoris): 3-6 grams three times per day for up to one month.

For preventing the loss of the effectiveness of nitroglycerin in relieving pain in people with chest pain due to coronary artery disease (angina pectoris): 700 mg four times daily.

For organic erectile dysfunction (ED): 5 grams per day. Taking lower doses might not be effective.

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...ame=l-arginine

All the references I found indicated that the positive effects are due to improved circulation. The side effects are minimal and appear to be allergic reactions and sensitivity to high doses.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-24-2016, 07:16 AM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

My Nana has Alzheimer's likely with combined vascular dementia. She's not well. Though does better when family is around her to stimulate her brain. My other experience with the disease comes from working near exclusively with dementia. I've seen all kinds of it.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Frank Frank speaking. I am surprised that more Twebbers do not talk about "our" problems with varying degrees of dementia, and mostly refer to older relatives. Many if not most men over sixty to sixty-five who have arteriosclerosis will experience some progressive memory loose related to dementia, and some younger. Other forms of dementia exist including alzheimer's disease throughout the middle age and older population, especially women.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I have noticed a bit of an increase in short term memory lately. I have sort of nerved myself to the possibility of increasing short term memory. Nothing too serious yet. Also a bit of an increase in Men in Black syndrome.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

My dad had a stroke that left him mentally disabled to a certain extent. For a long time he could not recognize people, and even did not recognize his wife, my mom. He remembered her as a young woman and kept asking mom, "what did you do with my wife?"

It was hard on everyone, but eventually he got better. Not back to normal, but at least he could remember things and recognize people again. It was a very difficult time for us all, and especially him, since he was just aware enough to know something was wrong. Can you imagine feeling like strangers are all around you and lying to you about who they are? That was what it was like for him.

Sylas, thank you for what you do! It is important that people with dementia get treated with love and respect. May God bless you (even if you don't believe in him)

Sparko

Comment

Thanks for the stories people. I've been reading with interest.

It's worth noting in passing: not all memory loss or cognitive decline is actually dementia.... though I'm very happy to see those stories in the thread also.

Comment

Thought you might find the following interesting:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by sylas View Post
                        Thanks for the stories people. I've been reading with interest.

It's worth noting in passing: not all memory loss or cognitive decline is actually dementia.... though I'm very happy to see those stories in the thread also.
                        In principle I disagree. Dementia loss or cognitive decline do to age or an underlying condition cannot always be easily distinguished from all other possible causes.

Source: www.alz.org/what-is-dementia

Dementia is a general term that describes a group of symptoms-such as loss of memory, judgment, language, complex motor skills, and other intellectual function-caused by the permanent damage or death of the brain's nerve cells, or neurons.

© Copyright Original Source

I do not believe the diminished memory from aging can be easily separated for other defined known causes of Dementia. The changes in the brain do to aging have similar changes in some other causes. I know some sources try to make the distinction, but memory loss has a cause related to changes in the brain, and can be measured over time regardless of the cause. Traumatic head injury or repeated injury as in sports and military can cause cognitive decline and memory loss.

Some memory loose may not be permanent, as in the possibility of L-Arginine or L-Citrulline have some impact on reducing the decline and possibly reversing it to some extent. I believe untreated Dementia due to aging results in a gradual decline of cognitive abilities and permanent damage. Changes due to aging are in part or mostly due to reduced circulation to the brain due to conditions like arteriosclerosis, which may or may not respond to some treatments.

I have taken two cognitive tests in the past year as a part of a research project, and I will take more tests in the future. The doctors that interviewed me at Duke also indicated that the distinction cannot be easily made. Some forms of Dementia like alzheimer's, and causes due to injury can specifically identified more easily.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-13-2016, 02:25 PM.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X