Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Revelation 22:18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    For what it's worth, I think that Jesus was buried on a Thursday. Currently, I think that 666 refers either to money (as in 2 Chronicles 9:13) or to Nero Caesar. But I am still working on that. And anyway, I can't figure out how either of those topics actually relates to this thread. Finally, the idea of linking the mist in Genesis to the river in Revelation does at least relate to our topic. However, the linkage seems dubious to me, because there is a great difference between mist versus a river.
    The bible uses metaphorical language, not straightforward language like used in a newspaper or history-book.

The "mist", Hebrew "ed", "1-4", of Genesis 2:6 is principle of time (without it nothing could grow) and also principle of speech (the bush of Genesis 2:5 is Hebrew "siach" which can also mean "speech, meditation, thought"), and also principle of resurrection, (The "ed" moistening the ground out of which Adam was formed), and also the source of the one river that divided into four heads.

I even think that John with his "In the beginning was the word" aimed at the very word "ed".

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Thanks, John. It is always nice to see that my reading of the text is in agreement with the scholars you cite.

I think καινα ... παντα (kaina ... panta) in 21,5 are especially important with respect to understang the above.
      Originally posted by Geert van den Bos View Post
      It seems to me that "tauta" refers to "panta" of v.5, but also that "all things made new" inhere the fountain of the water of life.
      Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Great! Nice to see that we agree on this point.
      John has an excellent post on the book of Revelation that contains a very good understanding of Rev 1,3, which corresponds perfectly with the interpretation of Rev 21,5.7 22,8bis.16.18.20 as understood here by me and Geert (re 21,5.7). I had wanted to go into some of the correspondences between the beginning and end of the book, but did not have time. Now I don't need to! Besides, John obviously knows much more about the book of Revelation than me anyway. I just do my best to read and understand the Greek.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post23412
      Last edited by robrecht; 03-02-2014, 09:33 AM.
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Summartureo echoes sundoulos, "fellow-servant", which the angel said he was in relation to John:

Revelation 19:9-11

Revelation 22:8-10

The word also echoes the beginning of Rev:
        emarturesen 1.2
        marturian 1.3
        marturian 1.9

& cf: συγκοινωνὸς in 1.9

Witness-words occur 19 times; the idea is important to the book.

martyreō 4
        martyria 9
        martyrion 1
        martys 5

The ideas and themes & words of the books weave in and out of one another, and hint at and echo one another: as these quotations show.
        Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 03-09-2014, 12:39 AM. Reason: scatter-brained

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
          Summartureo echoes sundoulos, "fellow-servant", which the angel said he was in relation to John:

Revelation 19:9-11

Revelation 22:8-10

The word also echoes the beginning of Rev:
          emarturesen 1.2
          marturian 1.3
          marturian 1.9

& cf: συγκοινωνὸς in 1.9

Witness-words occur 19 times; the idea is important to the book.

martyreō 4
          martyria 9
          martyrion 1
          martys 5

The ideas and themes & words of the books weave in and out of one another, and hint at and echo one another: as these quotations show.
          Witness words are indeed very important in the book, but just use μαρτυρέω instead of συμμαρτυρέω, as the later appears in no Greek mss. It was added by Erasmus, in the 16th century who translated this section from Latin into Greek because his single ms for the book of Revelation lacked the last 6 verses. Thus the prepositional connection with 19,9-11 and 22,8-10 is also not reflected in the Greek text of the author or of any of the Greek manuscripts.
          אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment