Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Asking for prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for prayer

Is there ever a bad reason to ask for prayer?

Here's what I mean by this. I got a cold this week. It's trivial, but what it does to me isn't. Basically, getting a cold always makes my chronic digestion problem flare up, and so that won't get better until the cold is gone. Which effectively means that my workdays are absolutely miserable for a week or more. The very thing that aggravates my guts, once they've flared up, more than anything is sitting or standing--which I do at work all day. I only have two choices: 1. deal with it, or 2. take personal leave and go home. I don't really ever take option 2 anymore, because I know what my chronic problem is, and I know it's not serious. Basically, I know I can suffer through it--it's just miserable. Today, I know that I'm going to feel horrible all afternoon, and I know that it's going to start back up tomorrow morning and that tomorrow afternoon will likely be even worse than today. There's nothing I can do about that.

As far as prayer is concerned, I almost never ask for prayer for this condition. I've "given up" on it, I suppose you could say, but it's not with bitterness toward God or anything. I think I've made peace with the fact that He hasn't chosen to remove it, and I know I can live with it. (I have already, for a long time.)

For example, I email my wife some throughout the day, and sometimes she'll say she's praying for me when I say that my guts are really bothering me that day. My first natural thought is, "don't bother," and I hate that. That can't be the right thought.

If I pray for it myself, typically what I'll pray is "just help me get through this." And so in that sense my prayer is always answered...because I do always get through it.

So I want to know what you think about asking for prayer for relatively trivial stuff, like this. This chronic problem is such a part of my life that it's hard for me to tell if I'm being too defeatist about it.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

It doesn't sound trivial. What's bothersome is that God won't give you what you ask. I can sympathize. I feel like God generally ignores my prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Oh God please let me score some good dope tonight for the party.

Please God let me get lucky with that girl at the end of the bar.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Oh God please let me score some good dope tonight for the party.

Please God let me get lucky with that girl at the end of the bar.
        I was excluding obvious stuff like that.

Comment

I was excluding obvious stuff like that.
          You certainly did not make that clear when you asked the question

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            You certainly did not make that clear when you asked the question
            My mistake. It was probably a bad thread idea anyway.

Comment

Praying, Zym.

We are to ask for prayer from others. We are to pray for others.

Originally posted by Obsidian
              What's bothersome is that God won't give you what you ask. I can sympathize. I feel like God generally ignores my prayers.

God answers EVERY prayer of a believer. He HEARS every prayer of a believer.

Sometimes His answers are not what we desire. Sometimes He says "yes". Sometimes the answer is "no". And often, the answer is "wait". There is no unanswered prayer that a believer prays.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

No.

Comment

Here's what I mean by this. I got a cold this week. It's trivial, but what it does to me isn't. Basically, getting a cold always makes my chronic digestion problem flare up, and so that won't get better until the cold is gone. Which effectively means that my workdays are absolutely miserable for a week or more. The very thing that aggravates my guts, once they've flared up, more than anything is sitting or standing--which I do at work all day. I only have two choices: 1. deal with it, or 2. take personal leave and go home. I don't really ever take option 2 anymore, because I know what my chronic problem is, and I know it's not serious. Basically, I know I can suffer through it--it's just miserable. Today, I know that I'm going to feel horrible all afternoon, and I know that it's going to start back up tomorrow morning and that tomorrow afternoon will likely be even worse than today. There's nothing I can do about that.

As far as prayer is concerned, I almost never ask for prayer for this condition. I've "given up" on it, I suppose you could say, but it's not with bitterness toward God or anything. I think I've made peace with the fact that He hasn't chosen to remove it, and I know I can live with it. (I have already, for a long time.)

For example, I email my wife some throughout the day, and sometimes she'll say she's praying for me when I say that my guts are really bothering me that day. My first natural thought is, "don't bother," and I hate that. That can't be the right thought.

If I pray for it myself, typically what I'll pray is "just help me get through this." And so in that sense my prayer is always answered...because I do always get through it.

So I want to know what you think about asking for prayer for relatively trivial stuff, like this. This chronic problem is such a part of my life that it's hard for me to tell if I'm being too defeatist about it.
                  Prayer is relational; praying for one another draws us closer. That's what prayer to God is all about; He knows, after all, our needs before we ask.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

it is not ever a bad idea to share your concerns with like-minded people.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                      It doesn't sound trivial. What's bothersome is that God won't give you what you ask. I can sympathize. I feel like God generally ignores my prayers.
                      You do know that you can not trust feelings do you not?
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

God's power in infinite. To him there is no distinction something "trivial" like a cold and something major such as a life threatening cancer. If you had a child wouldn't you want him to tell you about all that is bothering him, even the things that seem trivial to you? God is our father and wants us to come to him with all of our problems.
                        The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
                        Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Comment