Mercury - Who Knew!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Good old mercury switches. I used to attach them to door knobs so when they were turned they set off an... um, alarm. Yeah, that's it. Alarms
    And this 'alarm' caused a strange sensation that felt a lot like an electrical shock?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      And this 'alarm' caused a strange sensation that felt a lot like an electrical shock?
      Let's just say that the alarm was real loud.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        I remember back in the Sixties we used to get quarters and soak them in a drop of mercury. It made the quarters shiny and slippery.
        I loved to do it with pennies. Made them look like shiny dimes.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I have always wanted to play with mercury, but it was too big to fit in my pocket.

mercury-300x300.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            You should see how the government treats mercury switches and contractors that we have occasionally found. We have a sealed 5 gallon bucket, for anything that contains mercury.
            Well, most of those switches (at least the ones I've seen) are in glass tubes, so if you drop them hard enough... but yeah, not exactly that dangerous.

I recall reading how beryllium was getting banned in electronics for military--if a bullet hit the electronic gear that had beryllium in it, it could release toxic dust. I guess that dust is worse than the bullet.
            No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
              Well, most of those switches (at least the ones I've seen) are in glass tubes, so if you drop them hard enough... but yeah, not exactly that dangerous.

I recall reading how beryllium was getting banned in electronics for military--if a bullet hit the electronic gear that had beryllium in it, it could release toxic dust. I guess that dust is worse than the bullet.
              I don't know if they still do it, but when the Abrams tanks first started operating at Fort Hood in Waco, the tank crew would have to put sheets of plywood under the tank to catch any oil spills. If the tank was going to be stationary for more than 5 minutes, they had to "deploy the retention apparatus".

So, how did the tank crews respond? They made sure never to be stopped for more than 5 minutes unless they were parking at the end of the exercise. That meant they were constantly running, spewing forth diesel fumes!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I have always wanted to play with mercury, but it was too big to fit in my pocket.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12723[/ATTACH]
                Pockets? I always figured you for a man purse sorta guy.

il_fullxfull.691354210_4xgx.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post

That kind of reminds me of how the military stopped using Freon in their nuclear ICBMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I don't know if they still do it, but when the Abrams tanks first started operating at Fort Hood in Waco, the tank crew would have to put sheets of plywood under the tank to catch any oil spills. If the tank was going to be stationary for more than 5 minutes, they had to "deploy the retention apparatus".

So, how did the tank crews respond? They made sure never to be stopped for more than 5 minutes unless they were parking at the end of the exercise. That meant they were constantly running, spewing forth diesel fumes!
                    Read the story the other day about a guy who had a bad starter in his work van. Instead of replacing it, he just... left it running. For two years, until it got totaled. Add oil periodically.
                    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      That kind of reminds me of how the military stopped using Freon in their nuclear ICBMs.
                      green bombs. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        green bombs. lol
                        Especially since it's nuclear bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          Especially since it's nuclear bombs.
                          ar least it will be a healthy nuclear winter.

Comment

I miss my Mercury!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I miss my Mercury!
                              Me too

Sold it to a friend who got drunk and totaled it a couple weeks later.

Comment

I miss my Mercury!
                                You lost it?
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment