Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Evidence for the Resurrection: Generalizations and Assumptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    You do not correctly understand. LCMS Lutheran churches are comprised of genuine Christians too.

What was his stated reason or reasons?

His opposition to the Evangelical Lutheran Synod I could understand, I would likely agree with him.
    Arrogant (ignorant) evangelicals who believe that the only way to be saved is for someone who has reached an Age of Accountability to make a decision/choice to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      I agree with you 100%. The best defense for traditional/conservative Christianity is biblical inerrancy. Tell your children that no matter what evidence is presented by Christian liberals or atheists, the plain, simple reading of the Bible is ALWAYS right. God is infallible; human evidence is not.

Once you start picking apart the Bible with Higher Criticism, it is a slippery slope to a loss of faith (or in my current worldview, seeing the truth).
      Let me give an example of the best way for conservative Christians to deal with atheists and other skeptics:

Skeptic: What evidence do you have, Mr./Mrs. Christian, that your god is real; that he is the ruler of the universe; and that if I do not believe in him and obey him I am going to be eternally punished in some fashion?

Christian: The Bible says so.

Skeptic: So how do you know that the Bible is true?

Christian: God says so.

Skeptic: How do you know that God says so?

Skeptic: Wait a minute! That is a circular argument!

Christian: That is simply your fallible human reasoning. Since you are not a believer, you cannot see the truth of the Bible.

Skeptic: So what you are saying is that unless I first believe and submit to your god and your belief system, I will never understand how your circular reasoning is not circular reasoning?? How can anyone debunk such an argument??

Christian: Exactly. Believe, repent, or perish, Sinner!

Comment

Let me give an example of the best way for conservative Christians to deal with atheists and other skeptics:

Skeptic: What evidence do you have, Mr./Mrs. Christian, that your god is real; that he is the ruler of the universe; and that if I do not believe in him and obey him I am going to be eternally punished in some fashion?

Skeptic: So how do you know that the Bible is true?

Christian: God says so.

Skeptic: How do you know that God says so?

Skeptic: Wait a minute! That is a circular argument!

Christian: That is simply your fallible human reasoning. Since you are not a believer, you cannot see the truth of the Bible.

Skeptic: So what you are saying is that unless I first believe and submit to your god and your belief system, I will never understand how your circular reasoning is not circular reasoning?? How can anyone debunk such an argument??

Christian: Exactly. Believe, repent, or perish, Sinner!
        Translation: Please use really bad argumentation like this so I can ignore you.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Translation: Please use really bad argumentation like this so I can ignore you.
          It is a bullet proof defense for any supernatural-based belief system such as yours.
          Last edited by Gary; 02-04-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Arrogant (ignorant) evangelicals who believe that the only way to be saved is for someone who has reached an Age of Accountability to make a decision/choice to believe.
            To believe what? If what one believes is not the truth, that belief will save no one.

. . . Believe, repent, or perish, Sinner!
            Typical of a counterfeit gospel.
            Last edited by 37818; 02-04-2016, 02:17 PM.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

To believe what? If what one believes is not the truth, that belief will save no one.

Typical of a counterfeit gospel.
              Lutherans believe that any one who preaches that a sinner can choose to be saved is preaching a false gospel; a gospel based on works. Sinners are incapable of choosing righteousness or choosing God. God chooses them!

"There is none righteous, no not one. There is no one who seeks God."

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."

"The Word of God is more powerful than a two-edged sword."

Lutherans believe that salvation occurs when GOD chooses, not when man chooses. God predestines a particular sinner to be saved, and then at the predestined time, God exposes that sinner to his Word (spoken or read), and the power of the Word converts the sinner to a believer, gifting that sinner faith and belief, regardless if the sinner is a mature adult, a one month old infant, a three year old child, or a severely mentally impaired adult.

God can accomplish HIS act of salvation, using his Word, by preaching, by reading the Bible or a Gospel tract, or at the moment of Baptism when the Word is spoken as the water flows over a child or adult.

Any other version of salvation is a works-based form of salvation and according to conservative Lutherans is false doctrine and to be condemned and shunned from fellowship in the Church or in any form of joint worship with such a heretic.

Comment

It is a bullet proof defense for any supernatural-based belief system such as yours.
                Stop doing meth, m'kay? It's bad for you.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by gary View Post
                  . . . A false gospel; a gospel based on works.

. . . Of baptism when the word is spoken as the water flows over a child or adult.
                  tsia
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

tsia
                    Sorry, I don't know "tsia".

Comment

This presupposes naturalism.
                      The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Sorry, I don't know "tsia".
                        TSIA - That says it all. I was referencing baptism as a work and that it is a part of false gospels of [faith plus] works in order to be saved.
                        Last edited by 37818; 02-05-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

TSIA - That says it all. I was referencing baptism as a work and that it is a part of false gospels of [faith plus] works in order to be saved.
                          Baptism is a command. If obeying a command is a work, then your decision to obey the command to believe is a work.

Comment

Baptism is a command. If obeying a command is a work, then your decision to obey the command to believe is a work.
                            Yes, the baptism [the immersion/burial in water] is a command that happens to be a work. Belief is a command which is not counted as a work. To count belief as one's own work is a disobedience to the command. You do not understand that.

". . . But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. . . ." -- Romans 4:5. ". . . Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, , , ," -- Titus 5:5

Comment

Yes, the baptism [the immersion/burial in water] is a command that happens to be a work. Belief is a command which is not counted as a work. To count belief as one's own work is a disobedience to the command. You do not understand that.

". . . But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. . . ." -- Romans 4:5. ". . . Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, , , ," -- Titus 5:5
                              Baptism is an act of God, not of man, you silly evangelical!

Comment

Baptism is an act of God, not of man, you silly evangelical!
                                Show me one human immersed [baptized] in water without a second human doing the immersing. What was John the Baptist [the Immerser] doing? Twiddling his thumbs? Jesus who is both Lord and Christ [as God] baptises with Holy Spirit and with fire - in the lake of fire (Matthew 25:41).

Comment