Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Problems with Heliocentrism

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It would explain why many people end up moving south as time goes on rather than to the north. When is the last time you've heard of someone retiring and going to Canuckistan as compared to the steady flow moving to places like Arizona and Florida.
    hmm. that is true.

I do kinda like the idea of the sun and moon on swing poles. That's kinda neat.

Comment

You might want to sit down for this.

And the moon really isn't made of green cheese.
      Duh. It is made of WHITE cheese. Swiss to be more accurate. anyone can see that.

Comment

You might want to sit down for this.

And the moon really isn't made of green cheese.
        But I was counting on that mold for the never ending supply of cheddar
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What next? The Sun is really just the light bulb above our terrarium? And it gets replaced every night?
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            What next? The Sun is really just the light bulb above our terrarium? And it gets replaced every night?
            A fusion light bulb no less.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              A fusion light bulb no less.
              Don't. Explain. The Joke.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                comic relief ...

But you know, battling it out with John has often been a very interesting way to dig into some really interesting stuff. One of his threads a while back ended up in a very interesting discussion of how we are able to track very minute variations in the Earth's rotational velocity using the Very Long Baseline Array and quasars. Another time I was able to do some very interesting research on the observations of orbiting asteroids and how that can be used to quantify the barycentric motion of the Earth-Moon system and even help firm up the Earth/Sun distance, a very important measure relative to getting accurate parallax distances to the relatively nearby stars using the earths orbit as a baseline.

And I could go on. Johns misuse of science is creative enough it really can become quite the learning experience ... as long as you don't take him seriously.

Jim
                I'd have to agree there. While his insanity is quite 'interesting' to say the least; the physics lessons that come about as a result of it, are quite informative.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I've thought about the geometry a bit more and you may well be correct to include the curvature of the earth. The curvature would make the stake point in a different direction as against a straight line between the two observation positions. According to this website https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/
                  a horizontal distance of 663 miles (1067 km) has a vertical drop of 88.7km. This means the angle created by the curvature of the earth over the 1067 km miles at the point of the second stake will tip the tangent by arctan 88.7/1067 = 4.8 degrees. I will attempt to work out the rest of the geometry.

JM

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was referring to the pictures that show the entire galaxy as though being viewed from a space pod outside the galaxy. Such pictures are not real, but only constructed from local observations inside the galaxy plus maths etc.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      I was thinking about pointing out where you went wrong, but I couldn't find anywhere where you didn't. So here's a song instead.

Everything you know is wro-o-o-o-ong!
                      God is being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore God is non being.

God is the necessary being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore God is not necessary and non being.

God is the greatest being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore the greatest being is a non being.

God is the prime being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore only creatures exist, which means only secondary beings exist without a prime being. Therefore the secondary are the prime.

God is the universal cause of being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore a universal cause of being does not exist. Therefore only specific causes of being exist. This means creatures cause their own being. But being is the prime act of a being. Therefore Roy's atheism concludes to creatures causing being ontologically prior to the creature having being.

Roy thinks he knows oh so much, but his atheism is fatal.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post
                        God is being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore God is non being.

God is the necessary being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore God is not necessary and non being.

God is the greatest being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore the greatest being is a non being.

God is the prime being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore only creatures exist, which means only secondary beings exist without a prime being. Therefore the secondary are the prime.

God is the universal cause of being.

Roy says God does not exist, therefore a universal cause of being does not exist. Therefore only specific causes of being exist. This means creatures cause their own being. But being is the prime act of a being. Therefore Roy's atheism concludes to creatures causing being ontologically prior to the creature having being.

Roy thinks he knows oh so much, but his atheism is fatal.

JM
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post
                          Sound travels at 761 miles per hour, whilst the earth rotates from west to east at the equator at about 1000 miles per hour. For the sound to reach the hearer standing east of the sound, the air must rotate around with the earth at 1000 miles per hour, allowing the sound to travel within the apparently stationary atmosphere (relative to the earth's surface).
                          So if a plane is traveling from the west coast to the east coast at a thousand miles per hour, and a hijacker is standing ten feet behind the pilot demanding that he fly the plane to Cuba, how long will it take before the pilot hears him?
                          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                            The axial tilt does not account for the seasons because it brings the summertime-hemisphere closer to the Sun and the wintertime-hemisphere further from it. I'm not sure where you got that idea. Rather, due to the axial tilt, the summertime-hemisphere is exposed to more sunlight in a 24-hour period than the wintertime-hemisphere receives. Longer exposure to sunlight equates to a larger influx of thermal energy, leading to the temperature variations we note in the seasons.

Put simply, the Sun is in the sky longer during the Summer than during the Winter. This is due to the axial tilt, and this accounts for seasonal climate change. It has nothing to do with Earth's distance from the Sun.
                            Physics dictates that when a body comes closer to the heat source the body becomes warmer. When the helios try to explain seasons, they have to ignore this fundamental law of physics and reduce the reason for the seasons down to angle tilt of the suns rays through the atmosphere as NASA does here -

It is true that Earth’s orbit is not a perfect circle. It is a bit lop-sided. During part of the year, Earth is closer to the sun than at other times. However, in the Northern Hemisphere, we are having winter when Earth is closest to the sun and summer when it is farthest away! Compared with how far away the sun is, this change in Earth's distance throughout the year does not make much difference to our weather.

As Earth orbits the sun, its tilted axis always points in the same direction. So, throughout the year, different parts of Earth get the sun’s direct rays.
                            And, believe it or not, aphelion—when Earth is farthest from the Sun—occurs in July, and perihelion—when we are closest—occurs in January. For those of us who live in the Northern Hemisphere where it’s summer in July and winter in January, that seems backwards, doesn’t it? That just goes to prove that Earth's distance from the Sun is not the cause of the seasons
                            The direct rays of the sun mean nothing, simply because the earth is curved. The curvature indicates that direct rays cannot occur on a curved surface, no matter what the imaginary tilt of the earth is. So direct rays on a global earth, helio model is only an eclectic, ad hoc and meaningless answer, which must ignore -

1 Physics which says the closer a body is the a heat source is, the warmer it becomes.

2 Physics which says direct rays from a heat source cannot occur on a spherical surface over a large surface area.

3 Physics which says the coldest point on a sphere is the furthest point from the heat source. When the earth's tilt causes the poles to move towards the sun, the poles should warm up, indicating the coolest areas of the earth are not at the poles in the helio model. Yet the poles are always shown to be covered in ice.

4. Logic which requires that the only plausible explanation is the logical one. The helio model is illogical in that it claims the heat source for the earth is from the distant sun, yet ignores that same claim when the helio model requires that the earth move closer to the sun.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                              So if a plane is traveling from the west coast to the east coast at a thousand miles per hour, and a hijacker is standing ten feet behind the pilot demanding that he fly the plane to Cuba, how long will it take before the pilot hears him?
                              The answer requires that the local atmosphere within the plane moves along with the plane. Your example only further highlights the problem. If a pilot speaks back to a passenger in an open plane, then the passenger may hear the pilot. But what if the passenger attempts to speak to the pilot if the plane is movnig forward faster than the speed of sound? Evidently the pilot would never hear the passenger, because the local atmosphere does not move with the plane.

Your example assumes the local motion of the atmosphere with the plane. My original problem also assumes the helio model requires the universal atmosphere to move along with the rotation of the earth. Hence the problem with the helio model which requires forces within the atmosphere at different latitudes, longitudes and heights above sea level to have the atmosphere rotate with the earth.

The problem has not been answered.
                              JM

Comment

Universal atmosphere???

Comment