Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget using smilies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      Are you serious, Stein?? Come on. Get real.

I have never said that I can prove that there were exceptions to your generalizations about first century beliefs and practices. I have only said that the probability of an exception to a generalization is greater than a miracle/supernatural cause for the overwhelming majority of life events.
      If I used the same argument for miracles (which you'd claim as violations as laws of nature), you'd be rightfully outraged.

I'm not even arguing for the empty tomb at this point. I'm arguing that the body wasn't moved. You have this inability to interpret literal meaning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        Nowadays I just see Gary's post and I just see "Wall of text" and I just wait to see what others say that might indicate something actually worth responding to.
        I do the same, and have been for awhile. It's the same material recycled over and over again, and his position always boils down to arguments from incredulity.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
          If I used the same argument for miracles (which you'd claim as violations as laws of nature), you'd be rightfully outraged.

I'm not even arguing for the empty tomb at this point. I'm arguing that the body wasn't moved. You have this inability to interpret literal meaning.
          Stein: How can you be 100% certain that the body wasn't moved? That is the issue.

I can understand if you state that you believe that a supernatural act is the MOST plausible explanation for the empty tomb. But to say that there are no other plausible explanations for an empty tomb is just not rational. I don't understand why you can't see that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I do the same, and have been for awhile. It's the same material recycled over and over again, and his position always boils down to arguments from incredulity.
            An argument from incredulity states that a proposition cannot be true because I find it not credible. I have never said that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
              Stein: How can you be 100% certain that the body wasn't moved? That is the issue.

I can understand if you state that you believe that a supernatural act is the MOST plausible explanation for the empty tomb. But to say that there are no other plausible explanations for an empty tomb is just not rational. I don't understand why you can't see that.
              The other explanations for an empty tomb require additional actors and motives for which we have absolutely no evidence at all.

Comment

The other explanations for an empty tomb require additional actors and motives for which we have absolutely no evidence at all.
                I have never said that there is evidence that someone moved the body. But just because there is no evidence of the perpetrator in a murder case does that mean that the body in question, with a stab wound to the back, could not have not been killed by someone?? Jesus' body was gone, the question is: what is the most probable explanation for the absence of a body from its tomb.

There is only one (unknown) explanation for the early Christian belief in a bodily Resurrection. Neither you nor I can prove with 100% certainty how this belief came about. I realize that you believe that the Resurrection is the most plausible of all explanations. But just because there is no (known) evidence that someone moved the body is not proof that no one did.
                Last edited by Gary; 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• I (and I believe most educated people in western society, including most Christians) follow a logical, rational process to find the explanation for any odd event in his or her life.

For instance: I wake up tomorrow and my keys are missing.

Is my first assumption going to be that a demon stole my keys (a supernatural explanation)? No. My first assumption is that I misplaced my keys. Once I have ruled that out, my next assumption is that someone (human) moved my keys. Only after I have ruled out all natural, non-miracle explanations for my missing keys would I consider that a demon or angel or other supernatural being had moved my keys.

So, see. I am not ruling out the supernatural. I am just not considering the supernatural as the cause until I have ruled out more probable explanations. And as hard as Nick and Stein try, and no matter how many NT scholars they quote, they cannot rule out the possibility and plausibility that a naturalistic, non-miracle explanation is the source of the empty tomb and the alleged post-death appearances. I am not trying to prove any specific naturalistic scenario. I am only trying to get you guys to see that naturalistic, non-miracle explanations are plausible, EVEN IF, there is no evidence to PROVE that they are the true explanation.
                  Last edited by Gary; 02-10-2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• You're right, we can't rule it out. It just doesn't take stock of the available evidence. This is inference to the best explanation, not inference to what we want to be true.

Comment

• Stein. Don't you get it? We have to posit entities we have no evidence for and events we have no evidence for in order to avoid conclusions we do have evidence for.

Comment

You're right, we can't rule it out. It just doesn't take stock of the available evidence. This is inference to the best explanation, not inference to what we want to be true.
                        You just don't get it.

If we both came upon a dead human body with a puncture wound in the back, I would assume, without any evidence, that a human being had stabbed the victim. You, on the other hand, would complain that since I have no evidence, I should not make that assumption...I should believe your claim that the wound was caused by a supernatural being, simply because a group of people from a new religious sect swear on a stack of holy books that they saw a supernatural being stab the victim.

That is just not rational!

I am not claiming to know why the tomb was empty. I am simply stating that since we do not know the answer, we should consider the most probable explanations first, and not jump to the least probable explanation simply because a small group of uneducated peasants swear that they saw a walking/talking/broiled-fish-eating dead body.
                        Last edited by Gary; 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Stein. Don't you get it? We have to posit entities we have no evidence for and events we have no evidence for in order to avoid conclusions we do have evidence for.
                          So which one of McCullough's criteria does the alternative "body moved" hypothesis actually satisfy?

Also, Nick, mandatory "you're brainwashed" wasn't included.
                          Last edited by psstein; 02-10-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Let's see. How many scholars actually hold to the "body moved" explanation?

Comment

Let's see. How many scholars actually hold to the "body moved" explanation?
                              How many "scholars" know what happened to Jimmy Hoffa's body?

There are plenty of rumors and assumptions but no one (who is talking) knows where the body is. Now, what if a group of religious extremists makes the claim that Jimmy Hoffa was their Messiah and that he ascended into the clouds in front of twenty of them, and those twenty people are willing to sign affidavits swearing they are telling the truth. There are no other leads. No other evidence. Only this supernatural claim. Should we believe this claim simply because it is the only "evidence" that exists???

No!

Just because there is no evidence that the Mafia, or the Teamsters, or an ex-wife/ex-girlfriend knocked him off and dumped the body in Lake Michigan is NOT reason to jump to a supernatural explanation for the missing body of Jimmy Hoffa because a group of zealots is making a supernatural claim about him! ! And the same is true for the missing body of Jesus. NO ONE claims to have seen the body leave the tomb. All we have is an empty tomb and a small group of superstitious, grieving relatives and friends (and one Pharisee who only saw a bright light) claiming to see dead people.

There are multiple possible, much more plausible, natural, non-supernatural, explanations for the missing bodies of Jimmy Hoffa AND Jesus of Nazareth! A lack of evidence for those possible explanations does NOT rule them out!

I do not understand why that is so hard for you guys to comprehend.
                              Last edited by Gary; 02-11-2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Because if we comprehended, we would readily just agree with everything.

You ever heard of these things called "books"?

Comment