Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    It looks like the only reply we ever get is "brainwashed!"

or "Generalizations!"

or "assumptions!"

Someone tell me when there's something really worth responding to. It's not worth it if you receive the same drivel back every time.
    Your generalizations and assumptions are the "clay feet" of your argument. You know you cannot prove that there were never any exceptions to your generalizations and assumptions regarding the beliefs of first century Jews and Romans therefore you take your marbles and leave the discussion. You also know that most educated people would say that an exception to a generalization is more probable than a miracle. Your argument has been defeated, sir.

Checkmate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      Please tell us how you know a miracle when you see one. Please describe one such event in your life.

I give as much probability for the reality of your miracle claim as YOU give for the reality of the miracle claim of Muslims that Mohammad flew on a winged horse to heaven and the Hindu claim that the Buddha caused a water buffalo to speak in a human language for forty five minutes. All three claims could be true, but based on the documented incidence of such events in cumulative human history, their probability is very low.

I am being rational regarding all THREE claims.
      No, you're not. You're dismissive of all three claims, one of which you haven't even seen yet. You're giving equal weight to eyewitness testimony, testimony which has no eyewitnesses, and testimony that wasn't written down for hundreds of years. That's not being rational, Gary.
      I'm sorry that offends you.
      No you're not, but that's okay. Your attempts are more amusing than offensive.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Your generalizations and assumptions are the "clay feet" of your argument. You know you cannot prove that there were never any exceptions to your generalizations and assumptions regarding the beliefs of first century Jews and Romans therefore you take your marbles and leave the discussion. You also know that most educated people would say that an exception to a generalization is more probable than a miracle. Your argument has been defeated, sir.

Checkmate.
        You're a legend in your own mind.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          No, you're not. You're dismissive of all three claims, one of which you haven't even seen yet. You're giving equal weight to eyewitness testimony, testimony which has no eyewitnesses, and testimony that wasn't written down for hundreds of years. That's not being rational, Gary.

No you're not, but that's okay. Your attempts are more amusing than offensive.
          Your above statement is both irrational and illogical. It is hopeless attempting to have a coherent conversation with you.

Comment

• Oh the irony

Comment

Oh the irony
              Oh the agony of your defeat.

Comment

No, sorry, Stein. In our culture, the onus is always on the person making the claim, not on the one skeptical of the claim. You are claiming that the customs of first century Jews were never, without exception, abandoned except in times of war. Prove it. Prove to everyone reading that no exception to this generalization ever happened except during a war.

You can't.

And you know it.
                No, Gary. I'm supposing the regularities held. You're not. The burden of proof is on YOUR CLAIM, because you're assuming that the regularities didn't hold.

What's that you said about assumptions?

Comment

• What defeat?

Oh yeah. Just crying assumptions and generalizations!

As if that's an argument.

No defeat. You're just boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                    No, Gary. I'm supposing the regularities held. You're not. The burden of proof is on YOUR CLAIM, because you're assuming that the regularities didn't hold.

Are you serious, Stein?? Come on. Get real.

I have never said that I can prove that there were exceptions to your generalizations about first century beliefs and practices. I have only said that the probability of an exception to a generalization is greater than a miracle/supernatural cause for the overwhelming majority of life events.

Comment

What defeat?

Oh yeah. Just crying assumptions and generalizations!

As if that's an argument.

No defeat. You're just boring.
                      And if you can't see the weakness of your argument you are either brainwashed or just plain stupid.

Nick. Listen very carefully: YOU CANNOT PROVE THAT THERE WERE NO EXCEPTIONS TO YOUR GENERALIZATIONS REGARDING THE BELIEFS AND HABITS OF PEOPLE LIVING TWENTY CENTURIES AGO. It is impossible!

Get that through your thick head once and for all! Only someone who is brainwashed would believe that a miracle is more probable than an exception to a generalization. It is irrational and downright stupid!
                      Last edited by Gary; 02-09-2016, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post

supposing = assuming

I question the claim that your hard and fast generalizations never had exceptions. You assume that they never did.

Big difference, baby. Big difference.
                        Last edited by Gary; 02-09-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• Nowadays I just see Gary's post and I just see "Wall of text" and I just wait to see what others say that might indicate something actually worth responding to.

Comment

Nowadays I just see Gary's post and I just see "Wall of text" and I just wait to see what others say that might indicate something actually worth responding to.
                            You're heartless. You're making him use bold caps and hurl insults in a bid to get a response.

sigpic

Comment

• heartless.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                You're heartless. You're making him use bold caps and hurl insults in a bid to get a response.
                                Just wait until he figures out that you can increase the FONT XSIZE -- and use different colors
                                Last edited by rogue06; 02-10-2016, 10:29 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment