Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So, what does the primary Iowa win mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure like Canada's election process better.

An election is called, and then there is about 5 weeks of attack ads and then you vote and then you realize the country (or province) has elected a bunch of morons.

Then you wait maybe 5 years before the process is repeated.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      You made assumption they were the same as other states, which is false. Larger more diverse states have given very different primary results in the past, and those winning Iowa and/or New Hampshire in the past have failed in larger more diverse states in the past.
      I didn't say that they would give the exact same results but that regardless of the state chosen we would see a "weed[ing] out the weaker candidates." It might be different weaker candidates but there we would still see some dropping out

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I don't understand US politics, and would appreciate a bit of elucidation.

NO trashing candidates! I just want the basic idea of how stuff works, please!
        It used to be the pace setter. It is still something of a threshing floor for the less fit candidates.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Even Alabamastan
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I didn't say that they would give the exact same results but that regardless of the state chosen we would see a "weed[ing] out the weaker candidates." It might be different weaker candidates but there we would still see some dropping out

No matter what state goes first, candidates will put way too much into trying to come out the true front runner and that inevitably means poorly performing, weaker positioned candidates are unable to continue afterwards.

The diversity argument is a non-starter. Most voters just don't care what the guy* looks like as long as he has all his visible teeth and says what they want to hear... or has an Anglo-Saxon sounding last name... Yes, really...

*Female candidates don't get the same break.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

The diversity argument is a non-starter. Most voters just don't care what the guy* looks like as long as he has all his visible teeth and says what they want to hear... or has an Anglo-Saxon sounding last name...
              There's more to it than just that. States with a higher percentage of Hispanics or immigrants in general matter if immigration is a hot button issue.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Oh look! Some stray kitties!

mHjKPqIf_400x400.jpg

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I disagree. Fro example: If the first primary/caucus was held in Florida, Bush may perform very well and influence later primaries. Too much emphasis is being placed on these small states that are not representative of country as a whole.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    There's more to it than just that. States with a higher percentage of Hispanics or immigrants in general matter if immigration is a hot button issue.
                    Different states will have different issues that they think are important. Currently, with Iowa's stranglehold, a candidate has to at the very least give lip service to the idea that converting food into fuel is a marvelous idea if he/she wants to do well there and have a chance of success in winning their party's nomination.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      I disagree. Fro example: If the first primary/caucus was held in Florida, Bush may perform very well and influence later primaries. Too much emphasis is being placed on these small states that are not representative of country as a whole.
                      If too much emphasis is being placed on these small states then why would you object to a larger state like Florida being first? Personally, I would like to see something like a lottery to see which state went first each election cycle.

Comment

If too much emphasis is being placed on these small states then why would you object to a larger state like Florida being first? Personally, I would like to see something like a lottery to see which state went first each election cycle.
                        Yes, I believe 'too much emphasis is being placed on these small states.' I would prefer a rotation of states over the years, probably the alternating large and small states,

What I object to is first generalization.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Not so much - which is why ethanol wasn't the main issue coming into the season.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not so much - which is why ethanol wasn't the main issue coming into the season.
                            I find it interesting that the anti-ethanol candidate won the Republican caucus in the most pro-ethanol state. Maybe we can finally get rid of the stupid ethanol mandate.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              [...] in the most pro-ethanol state.
                              Sparko's got his own state, now?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                Sparko's got his own state, now?
                                The great state of Intoxication

Comment