Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pagan origins of Judaism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    I think you mean more or less incorrect. There's absolutely zero evidence of any kind at all for any of it. I checked out the link and the authors have repeated claims that have been refuted for decades. Like claiming that the Torah is more recent than the 1st millennium BC when all the textual evidence points to a date of composition in the 2nd millennium BC.
    Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Argument by weblink not allowed per forum guidelines.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 02-07-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
      The consensus view in modern scholarship is that Yahweh was originally a minor storm/warrior deity that was imported into
      Israel from a southern region (Edom/Midian). He was then accepted into certain Canaanite/Proto-Israelite pantheons as a
      subordinate or of Son of El as is evident from the editing of Deut. 32:8-9. He was then eventually promoted over a long
      complex political/ideological process to the status of the "only God." Here's the latest scholarly treatment -
      https://books.google.com/books?id=Z5...page&q&f=false
      And this is why I think sometimes that modern scholarship can be a load of hooey. This is all one big argument from silence, courtesy of the History of Religions school. No one reading the text at face value would get anything like this.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        And this is why I think sometimes that modern scholarship can be a load of hooey. This is all one big argument from silence, courtesy of the History of Religions school. No one reading the text at face value would get anything like this.
        Do you know what an argument from silence is? I'm sure the experts that are trained in the historical method don't rely on just mere arguments from silence.

Comment

Actually, your argument is more an 'argument from silence,' because responses like this are totally lacking of substance of any meaningful references or discussion as to what the actual text says. Your ignoring the fact that there are many literal references to a polytheistic descriptions of a hierarchy of Gods in the OT. You also fail to respond to the facts that much of the text of the older sections of the OT are clearly taken from Canaanite, Ugarite and Babylonian cuneiform tablets.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-08-2016, 06:54 AM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Actually, your argument is more an 'argument from silence,' because responses like this are totally lacking of substance of any meaningful references or discussion as to what the actual text says.
            Good thing I wasn't trying to make an argument.
            Your ignoring the fact that there are many literal references to a polytheistic descriptions of a hierarchy of Gods in the OT.
            No, there aren't. There are merely references to other gods, none of them positive.
            You also fail to respond to the facts that much of the text of the older sections of the OT are clearly taken from Canaanite, Ugarite and Babylonian cuneiform tablets.
            Taken from? Hardly. People are conflating similarity of style with dependence because that's what they want to see.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Good thing I wasn't trying to make an argument.
              That is obviously an argument from silence.

No, there aren't. There are merely references to other gods, none of them positive.
              Odd, the citations that mention Gods do so in a very positive polytheistic/henotheistic context.

Taken from? Hardly. People are conflating similarity of style with dependence because that's what they want to see.
              Some are direct quotations from earlier cuneiform, others use specific Canaanite terminology and description of the hierarchy of Gods. There are no known Hebrew scripture before ~1000 BCE. There are examples of evolving Canaanite/Hebrew writing but nothing of Biblical scripture. The oldest known scripture is ~600 BCE.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                I think you mean more or less incorrect. There's absolutely zero evidence of any kind at all for any of it. I checked out the link and the authors have repeated claims that have been refuted for decades. Like claiming that the Torah is more recent than the 1st millennium BC when all the textual evidence points to a date of composition in the 2nd millennium BC.
                I'd really suggest reading some of the more modern stuff. You're bringing up arguments from W.F. Albright, when a lot of his work has not stood up to scrutiny since the late 70s. I strongly disagree with most of what minimalists say, though it's now a fairly mainstream view that the patriarchal narratives date from the 7th century BC or later.

There's painfully little textual evidence suggesting a 2nd millennium BC date and mountains against it. Almost all critical scholars think the Hebrew Bible a product of the Persian period.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  You have provided zero evidence to support your assertion. Still waiting . . .

Your playing blind man's bluff and blur . . .

All the evidence for the Torah before the 1st millennium BCE is in Canaanite and Babylonian cuneiform tablets.

Can you cite any archeological evidence of the existence of evidence of actually Hebrew Torah text prior to ~1200-1000 BCE?

The oldest text known is the silver scroll ~600 BCE.
                  What silver scroll are you referring to?

The oldest texts we have are the Dead Sea Scrolls, from the 3rd century BCE to the 1st CE.

Comment

One of the Hebrew names for God, "El," is the same as the name of the Caananite high god. Reading the Hebrew at face value gives you insights that English won't.

Comment

In the Ugaritic texts we read in the Baal myth of ‘the seventy sons of Asherah (Athirat)’ (KTU 1.4. VI.46). Since Asherah was (Canaanite) El’s consort, this therefore implies that El’s sons were seventy in number. The Dead Sea Scrolls version (original rendering) of Deut. 32:8-9 casts Yahweh as one of the ‘sons of El’ -

‘When Elyon gave to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of men,
                      he fixed the bounds of the peoples according to the number of the sons of God/El.
                      Yahweh's portion was his people, Jacob was the lot of his inheritance.

The later scribes of the MT altered the phrase "sons of El" to "sons of Israel" to avoid the obvious polytheistic implications.

The connection of the Ugaritic texts and the Old Testament can be found in Deut. 32:8-9 (70 sons of El) as well as the table of 70 nations in Genesis 10. The Jews believed there to be seventy nations on earth, so that the sons of El were accordingly also seventy in number. Each nation was believed to belong to a patron deity. Just as Chemosh was the patron deity to the Moabites and Milcom to the Ammonites, Yahweh was believed to be the patron deity of the Israelites. After monotheism had become absolute, the gods were demoted to the status of angels which is reflected in the later Jewish apocalyptic concept involving seventy guardian 'angels' of the nations (Targum Pseudo-Jonathon on Deut 32.8; 1 En. 89.59-77, 90.22-27).
                      Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                        What silver scroll are you referring to?

The oldest texts we have are the Dead Sea Scrolls, from the 3rd century BCE to the 1st CE.
                        He's talking about the scrolls found at Ketef Hinnom.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          correct

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                            One of the Hebrew names for God, "El," is the same as the name of the Caananite high god. Reading the Hebrew at face value gives you insights that English won't.
                            Cognates do not necessarily have the same meaning.

sigpic

Comment

Cognates do not necessarily have the same meaning.
                              The argument for the relationship between Canaanite/Babylonian heritage of Judaism is not only based on cognates, but nonetheless the text and context of the cogmates establishes this relationship.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Ah, yes, thank you. I'm revealing that I don't read as widely in Hebrew Bible as I do in NT/Second Temple Judaism.

I was referring to the complete texts we have from the Judean desert (often known as the Dead Sea Scrolls, though some were found outside of Qumran).

Comment