Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Smart TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart TVs

Are all TVs nowadays Smart?

I'm looking to get a new TV, but it seems that what I want doesn't exist. Basically: a big-screen TV with good sound and picture quality, but that's able to keep its cost down because it's just a TV. I don't want or need any smart features, and I definitely don't need 4K. I basically just want a screen with some HDMI ports.

It seems like all the TVs around anymore have a bunch of unnecessary features, and thus cost more than they need to (for me).
    Last edited by Zymologist; 02-04-2016, 05:23 PM.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Pretend you're buying one from Amazon. You can click the features you want from the lists at the left, and narrow down the selections.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ld-keywords=tv

It will narrow it down to the brand and model you want, then shop for that wherever - Best Buy, etc...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think you can get an 11 foot screen without those features. It is probably next to nothing for the companies to offer those features. So just decrease that added cost when you consider the value of the TV.

Comment

There can be a big difference in image quality so its a good idea to see some in person before deciding. Even high end TVs don't have very good sound anymore. Thin with small bezels make it hard to build in good speakers. If you want really good sound, you have to pay a lot more for a separate sound system (eg, Sonos). But you can get a halfway decent sound bar with a subwoofer for about $100.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          I don't think you can get an 11 foot screen without those features. It is probably next to nothing for the companies to offer those features. So just decrease that added cost when you consider the value of the TV.
          11 foot screen...good gracious. ..
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I don't have a Smart TV for a couple reasons.

Reason number one is that I already have Consoles and a Computer that can stream Online Content. For someone who doesn't either of those, I could see it being useful, but meh...

Reason number two is that I've also already got a Smart Phone, and as they say, "Smart TV, Smart Phone, Smart Wife. Pick Two." I kind of want to hold out for that last option.
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Yeah smart tvs are nice, but eventually their software will become unusable since many manufacturers don't keep updating the software on their older model tvs. My brother has a panasonic smart tv that is about 5 years old now, and many of his apps dont work anymore because the services have changed on the web, but the app on the tv was never updated.

You are better off having some streaming stick, like a roku, or amazon fire, or even an appleTV to be your "smart" device. They are updated more often and for longer periods, and they are cheap to replace when they eventually do become obsolete. Beats having to buy a new TV because your youtube stopped working on your smart tv.

But like you said, nowadays most TVs are smart tv's, and only the low end models are not smart. But the low end models usually are not as good quality in picture and sound or other features.

I want a 90 inch 4K, 3D TV with a Bacon fryer built in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Yeah smart tvs are nice, but eventually their software will become unusable since many manufacturers don't keep updating the software on their older model tvs. My brother has a panasonic smart tv that is about 5 years old now, and many of his apps dont work anymore because the services have changed on the web, but the app on the tv was never updated.

You are better off having some streaming stick, like a roku, or amazon fire, or even an appleTV to be your "smart" device. They are updated more often and for longer periods, and they are cheap to replace when they eventually do become obsolete. Beats having to buy a new TV because your youtube stopped working on your smart tv.

But like you said, nowadays most TVs are smart tv's, and only the low end models are not smart. But the low end models usually are not as good quality in picture and sound or other features.

I want a 90 inch 4K, 3D TV with a Bacon fryer built in.
                Too much grease on the screen.

Even a low end $100 DVD player has Smart TV functions built in nowadays; it can't add much to the cost of the TV.

Comment

Woot.com is a good place to find cheap TVs.

Today they have a 50" 4K smart TV for $399.

http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=w_gh_el_3

The link will only be good for today, Feb 5, 2016

938b6552-e4e2-44e5-a25d-22bace66c9d9._SY394_CR1,0,1034,394_.jpg

Hisense 50H7GB1 50" 4K Full Web Smart TV
                  Specifications

Model No. 50H7GB1
                  Refresh Rate UHD 60Hz (120Hz panel)
                  Connected TV Built-in Gigabit 2x2 Wi-Fi

Display

Panel Selected 50" Class
                  Display Area 49.5"
                  Resolution 3840 x 2160
                  ULED: Dimming, Peaking, Gamut Uniform Dimming
                  Brightness (nit) 300nit, nominal
                  Dynamic Contrast 40000:1 typical
                  Viewing Angle H/V 176°/176°

Terminals

RF Input 1
                  HDMI/HDCP Input 4
                  Analog Audio Output 1
                  Digital Audio Output 1
                  USB 3

Other Features

Closed Caption Yes
                  Wall Mount Support Yes (200 x 200)
                  Internet Browser Opera
                  Wi-Fi Built in Yes

Power

Power Supply 110-120VAC 60Hz
                  Power Consumption 55W (Energy Saving Mode)
                  Stand By Consumption Under 0.5W

Shipping Details

Dimension with Base (inches) 44.3" x 27.6" x 9.7" (W x H x D)
                  Dimension without BASE (inches) 44.3" x 25.6" x 3.2" (W x H x D)
                  Carton (inches) 48.8" x 29.9" x 6.1" (W x H x D)
                  Gross Weight (pounds) 39.2 lbs
                  Net Weight (with/without base; pounds) 30.4 / 29.8

In The Box:

Hisense 50H7GB1 50" 4K Full Web Smart TV
                  Remote Control
                  Power Cord

($5 shipping)

Comment

Don't buy it until you see it in person first. I bought a cheap HD TV for the bedroom a few years back and it just did not have a good picture. Specs don't tell the whole story.

Comment

Yeah, I've been checking Woot. Great site. I'm just bemoaning the fact that smart TVs seem almost ubiquitous now.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        Too much grease on the screen.

Even a low end $100 DVD player has Smart TV functions built in nowadays; it can't add much to the cost of the TV.
                        Yes, and when it's outdated, you can throw it away and buy a much more advanced one for less money.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment