Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jive Talkin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jive Talkin'

I'm wondering if we can reach a point where theological discussion and reflection can become excessive and inordinate? Can we reach a point where our discussions achieve little more than jive talkin'? Precisely what are we accomplishing?

Is it prudent and perhaps godly to do a little 2:20-2:30 (see video) in the face of yet another discussion on Eschatology, or what have you? Or should we always be prepared in season and out of season as we watch our life and doctrine closely?

PS: This thread is not meant to be taken entirely seriously.

As Cow Poke is so fond of saying, "Orthopraxis over orthodoxy!"
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Years ago I used to read stuff on theologyweb and I can say I have greatly benefitted. Through the patience of those in Nat Sci I grew to understand Theistic Evolution. Through the faithfulness of John Reece, I became persuaded towards Partial Preterism. My life has been changed by the kind and reasoned discussions of those who are actually on here "doing what He said". I left Theologyweb years ago better than when I arrived and I have returned here a different person.

So, yes, conversations here can bear fruit you may never know about. So, for what its worth....be kind always. Someone may be watching and could FOREVER be changed.
      Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        As Cow Poke is so fond of saying, "Orthopraxis over orthodoxy!"
        Is this man doing it right?

Comment

Originally posted by Wildflower View Post
          Years ago I used to read stuff on theologyweb and I can say I have greatly benefitted. Through the patience of those in Nat Sci I grew to understand Theistic Evolution. Through the faithfulness of John Reece, I became persuaded towards Partial Preterism. My life has been changed by the kind and reasoned discussions of those who are actually on here "doing what He said". I left Theologyweb years ago better than when I arrived and I have returned here a different person.

So, yes, conversations here can bear fruit you may never know about. So, for what its worth....be kind always. Someone may be watching and could FOREVER be changed.
          Interesting! So adopting TE and partial preterism through kind and reasoned persuasion has changed your life and made you a better person. I'm not really seeing the connection there, can you please clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
            Interesting! So adopting TE and partial preterism through kind and reasoned persuasion has changed your life and made you a better person. I'm not really seeing the connection there, can you please clarify?
            Adopting TE probably saved my faith in college and I would say not apostasizing was better for me
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Is this man doing it right?
              I think so. He seems to know what he's doing. I don't think everyone could do that.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Sure. I feel bettered by the expanded view I received from exchanging ideas with those of different perspectives. When I came to Tweb I was very much a cookie-cutter Dispensationalist Christian. I had no idea the level of thought that was totally missing from my Christian education, if you could call it that. With science, too. I had the OEC model down well. I was on here all the time debating the YEC's in the "Cosmogony" forum. When I ventured over to Nat Sci I saw that my OEC special creation model was quite reasonably challenged. Because I was committed to "following the evidence wherever it leads" I accepted TE.

Tweb offered me opportunities to see things differently than in my own small Christian circles. I'm SO GRATEFUL, I really cannot even convey how much the expanded perspective has changed my Christian life.

I especially credit John Reece. I read every book he recommended and it totally changed my view and understanding and gave me the direction my Christian walk has taken. I'm just so grateful.
                Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildflower View Post
                  Sure. I feel bettered by the expanded view I received from exchanging ideas with those of different perspectives. When I came to Tweb I was very much a cookie-cutter Dispensationalist Christian. I had no idea the level of thought that was totally missing from my Christian education, if you could call it that. With science, too. I had the OEC model down well. I was on here all the time debating the YEC's in the "Cosmogony" forum. When I ventured over to Nat Sci I saw that my OEC special creation model was quite reasonably challenged. Because I was committed to "following the evidence wherever it leads" I accepted TE.

Tweb offered me opportunities to see things differently than in my own small Christian circles. I'm SO GRATEFUL, I really cannot even convey how much the expanded perspective has changed my Christian life.

I especially credit John Reece. I read every book he recommended and it totally changed my view and understanding and gave me the direction my Christian walk has taken. I'm just so grateful.
                  Thanks for sharing.

Comment