Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the Earth Flat? - Some Evidence Presented

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post
    Mount Kosciuszko. The horizon meets the eye level at the top, just as expected by the flat earth model.

JM
    The horizon ALWAYS meets the eye if there's a clear view.

How far away is the horizon on Mt. K?

Show your calculations.

{ETA: In a flat-Earth model, wouldn't the horizon be BELOW eye level when viewed from a mountain top?}
    Last edited by klaus54; 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Also, on a flat earth you could never have a lunar eclipse, where the earth is between the sun and the moon and casts a shadow on the moon. Impossible since the earth never comes between the earth and moon on a flat earth.
      Correct. The flat earth model never has the moon caste a shadow on the moon. Evidently the global earth model is miraculous.

JM

Comment

Yes it does.

This is the 2D earth:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13133[/ATTACH]

Notice that Australia is nowhere to be seen. That is because it does not exist. It is merely something NASA made up to fool us into believing in a 3D world. And since Australia does not exist, that means that JohnMartin does not exist. He is just a NASA shill pretending to be an Australian nutjob. And if Australia and John do not exist, then his flat earth and geocentric universe are also non-existent.
        That Coriolis effect is quite selective. Two storms in many cloud formations. Its as though the effect only ever exists where its needed. Apparently Antarctica is missing as well. Maybe you should fabricate another globe.

JM

Comment

That Coriolis effect is quite selective. Two storms in many cloud formations. Its as though the effect only ever exists where its needed. Apparently Antarctica is missing as well. Maybe you should fabricate another globe.

JM
          ???

Baloney!

The Coriolis Effect is consistent.

Comment

JM
            You're the idiot claiming the world is flat. Why don't you provide us with your map of the planet?

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              What an idiot! He runs a calculation, gets a value larger than my own, then declares my point invalid by changing my claim!

I am not talking about seeing the curvature unaided. I am talking about being able to see the curvature using an optical referent (the ruler) and then discussing whether the deviation from that referent will be visible. All you've done is show that, if anything, the bulge is EASIER to see than I had calculated.

I didn't ignore refraction, it isn't an issue in this example.

John the troll tries to yank Jim's chain again by pulling a 'Bagdad Bob'. My response ->

Since 5 arc minutes is the angular resolution of the letters on the 20/20 line of an eye chart, anyone with vision (corrected or otherwise) that good can see substantially smaller detail than 5 arc minutes.

Go run the experiment yourself John. Heck, I was on an airplane this morning and just for grins ran the experiment from there. Amazing how big that bulge is from a height of 38,000 feet

But I've run the experiment myself john from about 25 feet up at a beach house. It's pretty cool, and it works quite well.

Jim
              The arc may appear on a flat earth as well because your horizon is dictated by an equidistant line of sight, which forms a circular shape. You see the circular shape and think its curvature, when in fact its only an optical illusion created by the circular horizon.

You have ignored refraction and any other associated light phenomena such as perspective and convergence and mirages etc. The experiment is not scientific and assumes much.

You have also ignored flat earth evidence that show entire areas of cites which are seen from long distances. Such is not explainable on the global earth model.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Also, on a flat earth you could never have a lunar eclipse, where the earth is between the sun and the moon and casts a shadow on the moon. Impossible since the earth never comes between the earth and moon on a flat earth.
                Correct. The flat earth model never has the moon caste a shadow on the moon. Evidently the global earth model is miraculous.

JM
                You deliberately highlighted a portion of what Sparko said and to try and make it seem as if he said something else. that is dishonest.

Sparko clearly says that a lunar eclipse is caused by the EARTH being between the sun and the moon and [the earth] casts a shadow on the moon.

Your model can explain neither lunar nor solar eclipses.
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  And I always wanted to go to Australia so I could see the world upside down, watch waterfalls flow up and all sorts of nifty things.

And now ... now - to find out its all a FAKE!!!

I'm soooooo disappointed.

Jim
                  You've also been disappointing for some time.

JM

Comment

JM
                    Misreading my post doesn't get you off the hook. I said that the earth casts a shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse. Cant happen on a flat earth. Troll defeated.

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                      The horizon ALWAYS meets the eye if there's a clear view.

How far away is the horizon on Mt. K?

Show your calculations.

{ETA: In a flat-Earth model, wouldn't the horizon be BELOW eye level when viewed from a mountain top?}
                      The horizon meets the eye for the horizon is level with the eye and not at a downward angle as expected with the globe model.

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                        ???

Baloney!

The Coriolis Effect is consistent.
                        Consistently selective according to the cloud formation.

JM

Comment

The arc may appear on a flat earth as well because your horizon is dictated by an equidistant line of sight, which forms a circular shape. You see the circular shape and think its curvature, when in fact its only an optical illusion created by the circular horizon.

You have ignored refraction and any other associated light phenomena such as perspective and convergence and mirages etc. The experiment is not scientific and assumes much.

You have also ignored flat earth evidence that show entire areas of cites which are seen from long distances. Such is not explainable on the global earth model.

JM
                          You have truly lost it John.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Missed my post about the constellations too John. Very convenient.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post290597

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                              You're the idiot claiming the world is flat. Why don't you provide us with your map of the planet?
                              I'm currently agnostic about the flat earth. There seems to be some strong evidence both for it and against it.

JM

Comment

Misreading my post doesn't get you off the hook. I said that the earth casts a shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse. Cant happen on a flat earth. Troll defeated.
                                Incorrectly writing your post doesn't create a hook.

JM

Comment