Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the Earth Flat? - Some Evidence Presented

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post

Apparently the photo of the earth from the moon shows the earth to be smaller than expected. The earth's radius is 3.6 times larger than the moons radius. When seen from the moon, the earth should be proportionately larger than what was apparently photographed from the moon.
    LOL! Trollbat Martin is still too stupid to understand perspective in photographs.

2.jpg

Let's not forget one of the most famous pictures of earth ever captured, taken by the Voyager deep space probe from 3.7 billion miles away

paleblue_custom-b200d49e728a183a8622779513762ba435508898-s6-c30.jpg

Carl Sagan's "pale blue dot". Who would have guessed the Earth was just flyspeck sized?

Comment

No. You only provided a link to a video of a commentator who made claims about film in relation to the moon landings. That's all he did. The comments are only convincing if you do not account for any counter responses and all the other remaining claims against the moon landings. The evidence for men landing on the moon is far from convincing. The evidence against men landing on the moon is far more convincing.

Apparently the photo of the earth from the moon shows the earth to be smaller than expected. The earth's radius is 3.6 times larger than the moons radius. When seen from the moon, the earth should be proportionately larger than what was apparently photographed from the moon.

Some also think the Apollo mission shows a fake earth from the pod.

NASA is guilty of some serious fraud.

JM
      You have no concept of the idea of perspective.

If I have a beach ball and a basket ball and I look at them through a single lense (so 2D image) and I have them next to each other, I will see them at their actual size ratio. If I move the basket ball further away from my lense it will appear to be disproportionately smaller than the beach ball. If I move it closer to the lense, I can make it appear bigger than the beach ball.
      Is the basket ball actually bigger than the beach ball? No it isn't.

The NASA photo has the moon closer to the lense when it was taken. from that perspective it appears to be bigger than it is.

Additionally during one of the Apollo landings a mirror was placed on the moon. You can actually bounce lasers off of it (university students do it).

No fraud has been committed by NASA.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        How. A flat earth has no south pole.
        silly! the earth is like a video game. when you go off one edge you appear on the opposite edge. so as far as you can tell, the outside edge of the earth is a single point that we call the south pole.

Comment

• Clearly JM does not really believe the rot in this thread or in his geo vs helio thread. He has so many arguing against him when he has no argument.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            silly! the earth is like a video game. when you go off one edge you appear on the opposite edge. so as far as you can tell, the outside edge of the earth is a single point that we call the south pole.
            http://www.freeasteroids.org/welcome/

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
              No it 'snot.

Here's a very simple question with unambiguous context...

How does the Sun rise and set when it's "orbiting" a flat Earth? It should be visible through its entire daily "orbit".

Also Raphael had a basic question about transits of Venus and Mercury on the Sun.
              Perspective.

And I don't know yet.

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                LOL! Trollbat Martin is still too stupid to understand perspective in photographs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13067[/ATTACH]

Let's not forget one of the most famous pictures of earth ever captured, taken by the Voyager deep space probe from 3.7 billion miles away

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13068[/ATTACH]

Carl Sagan's "pale blue dot". Who would have guessed the Earth was just flyspeck sized?
                We must learn to trust NASA whenever they say anything and whatever photo they have to show us. No matter how difficult space travel really is and how impossible the photos are, we must trust them.

So they say.

JM

Comment

You have no concept of the idea of perspective.

If I have a beach ball and a basket ball and I look at them through a single lense (so 2D image) and I have them next to each other, I will see them at their actual size ratio. If I move the basket ball further away from my lense it will appear to be disproportionately smaller than the beach ball. If I move it closer to the lense, I can make it appear bigger than the beach ball.
                  Is the basket ball actually bigger than the beach ball? No it isn't.

The NASA photo has the moon closer to the lense when it was taken. from that perspective it appears to be bigger than it is.

Additionally during one of the Apollo landings a mirror was placed on the moon. You can actually bounce lasers off of it (university students do it).

No fraud has been committed by NASA.
                  The mirror could have been placed there by robot. Far easier and cheaper and safer. The mirror is not conclusive evidence for man moon landings.

JM

Comment

Your model of the earth presented in the OP shows a flat earth with sun and moon orbiting roughly over the equator every 24 hours. Using that model and the explanation above, an observer on the north pole would always see a full moon, and an observer on the southern most point would always see a new moon. (also the model fails to explain why I cannot always observe the sun on a flat earth.)
                    The video shows you how.

JM

Comment

The mirror could have been placed there by robot. Far easier and cheaper and safer. The mirror is not conclusive evidence for man moon landings.

JM
                      A robot still requires us to have successfully landed on the moon.

Robotics in the sixties weren't very advanced.

All your "the moon landings are all faked" requires the technology to fake it to be more advanced than what was available.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

We must learn to trust NASA whenever they say anything and whatever photo they have to show us. No matter how difficult space travel really is and how impossible the photos are, we must trust them.

So they say.

JM
                        You have zero evidence the photos are impossible or faked in any way. You have however provided ample evidence you're too stupid to understand perspective and relative distances in photos.

Comment

The video shows you how.

JM
                          I watched the video. it's "solution" does not match up to the model you have that provided in your OP where the sun and the moon "orbit" roughly around tropics of the earth in a 24 hour period.

This would mean for an observer at the north pole the sun would always be illuminating the moon completely, as he is always in the middle of the two. Additionally an observer at the north pole should always be able to observe both the sun and the moon.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                            You have zero evidence the photos are impossible or faked in any way. You have however provided ample evidence you're too stupid to understand perspective and relative distances in photos.
                            Give us all some relief Edited by a Moderator

JM

Moderated By: Littlejoe

John, let's tone down the Flaming. Advocating bodily harm via domestic violence is offensive

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Littlejoe; 02-09-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I watched the video. it's "solution" does not match up to the model you have that provided in your OP where the sun and the moon "orbit" roughly around tropics of the earth in a 24 hour period.

This would mean for an observer at the north pole the sun would always be illuminating the moon completely, as he is always in the middle of the two. Additionally an observer at the north pole should always be able to observe both the sun and the moon.
                              Both the sun and moon orbit the earth once per day. The sun moon system involves a variable velocity between the two, causing the moon to move through the monthly phases. The video assumes the daily motion of the sun, even though the sun is shown as still in the background.

JM

Comment

A robot still requires us to have successfully landed on the moon.

Robotics in the sixties weren't very advanced.

All your "the moon landings are all faked" requires the technology to fake it to be more advanced than what was available.
                                Even with the claims of slowing the film to imitate moon walking on the moon, the moon walks are still faked. The steps and jumps are too small for 1/6th gravity. Your conclusion is largely based upon the testimony of one video which doesn't address many other objections.

JM

Comment