Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A public system gone awry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A public system gone awry

I found this article in the New York Times and its apparent that even the writer believes that this is a product of a system gone awry. There is simply zero common sense in some places it seems. Two examples in this particular school district of big brother gone crazy. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/ed...iscipline.html and more good reasons to support homeschool

Edited this was from 2009 FYI but its still relevant
    Last edited by Catholicity; 02-07-2016, 09:45 AM.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

they should ban pencils because someone could use them to stab someone else in the eye.

Comment

Still doesn't top the kid that got suspended for eating a poptart in the shape of a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        I found this article in the New York Times and its apparent that even the writer believes that this is a product of a system gone awry. There is simply zero common sense in some places it seems. Two examples in this particular school district of big brother gone crazy. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/ed...iscipline.html and more good reasons to support homeschool

Edited this was from 2009 FYI but its still relevant
        Back when I was in junior high, and I reported kids slamming the doors of bathroom stalls they suggested perhaps the dumbest thing to "fix" the situation I can think* of. They suggested removing the stall doors entirely.

Ended up having permission to use the bathroom in the nurse's office., but still.

Public schools are a nightmare, and have been as long as I can remember. Seems to be getting worse all the time.

*The only reason such a "solution" ever entered my mind is because they were dumb enough to suggest it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          they should ban pencils because someone could use them to stab someone else in the eye.
          Oh those are banned mental hospitals because they've had people self mutilate with them They also ban certain types of disposable silverware rather than just chemically or physically restrain the people crazy enough to attempt such stunts or staff the place well enough to keep a watch on them because they don't want to "pay" for it. OUr tax dollars at work people....
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

books are dangerous too!

Comment

I think the problem is that a lot of individual people are afraid to accept civil liability for deciding that an individual student is not a risk (think lawsuit after the same kid gets a slap on the wrist and returns to cause mayhem). In general, I like default punishments like the zero tolerance policies...but there's got to be a safety built in for unique situations. Perhaps there could be a default punishment, but if the parents appeal there could be some sort of disciplinary hearing. A group (school board, group of principals, council of both administrators and teachers, etc) could hear testimony and have the power to overrule the default process. There's got to be a route for common sense to prevail.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                I think the problem is that a lot of individual people are afraid to accept civil liability for deciding that an individual student is not a risk (think lawsuit after the same kid gets a slap on the wrist and returns to cause mayhem). In general, I like default punishments like the zero tolerance policies...but there's got to be a safety built in for unique situations. Perhaps there could be a default punishment, but if the parents appeal there could be some sort of disciplinary hearing. A group (school board, group of principals, council of both administrators and teachers, etc) could hear testimony and have the power to overrule the default process. There's got to be a route for common sense to prevail.
                A tiny drop of common sense (not so common any more) should solve the problem. That it fails reveals the rot in the core, the failure of the once great United States.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

i say give the kids scissors and tell them to run with it!!

Comment

i say give the kids scissors and tell them to run with it!!
                    You'd think with the fervent teaching of Darwinism that there'd be a movement to remove all the warning labels and let natural selection take its course.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

books are dangerous too!

I was actually taught the proper methods for using both pencils and books as weapons

We were told that with the proper attitude and a little training virtually anything can be used as a weapon.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        You'd think with the fervent teaching of Darwinism that there'd be a movement to remove all the warning labels and let natural selection take its course.

Nope. Not rising to the bait.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I was actually taught the proper methods for using both pencils and books as weapons

We were told that with the proper attitude and a little training virtually anything can be used as a weapon.
                          sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can destroy your entire life.

Comment

I'm not sure how this is remotely an argument for home schooling.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              I'm not sure how this is remotely an argument for home schooling.
                              An argument for home schooling is not needed. The public school system provides all the argument needed.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment