Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the Ascension Story an Embellishment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adam View Post
    The Editor of John (who happens to be John the Apostle) wrote about the same proportion of the Prologue of John as he did of John 21:1-18,
    There is no evidence that John the apostle wrote John, and most scholars consider it unlikely.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      There is no evidence that John the apostle wrote John, and most scholars consider it unlikely.
      Nor is there any evidence for an Urmarcus or Proto-Mark.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Than what you proposed concerning earlier Marks. Concerning the Gospel of John there is more evidence that it is in reality not written by the John the Apostle, and written later.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Than what you proposed concerning earlier Marks. Concerning the Gospel of John there is more evidence that it is in reality not written by the John the Apostle, and written later.
          Meh. Consensus or no, there is rampant speculation based on wisps of evidence which can be variously interpreted.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            First you would need to define your terms. "Urmarcus" can mean a supposed earlier draft much smaller than Mark (and would better be termed, "Proto-Mark). If that's what you mean, however, you are wrong historically, because the 19th Century German scholars meant by "Urmarcus" a document bigger than canonical Mark which would be better termed a "Proto-Gospel", "Proto-Evangelium", or "Grundschrift".*

C'mon, Robrecht, didn't you say what you said just to provoke me? "no evidence"? If you seriously meant "no evidence" you are no scholar at all, or don't know what "evidence" means.

And Shunya is even more wrong than you are.

*And the precursor to Mark I actually call "Proto-Matthew". Try that through Van Bella and Neirynck.
            Last edited by Adam; 05-02-2016, 08:32 PM.
            Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Meh. Consensus or no, there is rampant speculation based on wisps of evidence which can be variously interpreted.
              Grabbing at straws with style.

Frank

Comment

What are you trying to say? What is your evidence for an Urmarcus or Proto-Mark?

Comment

First you would need to define your terms. "Urmarcus" can mean a supposed earlier draft much smaller than Mark (and would better be termed, "Proto-Mark). If that's what you mean, however, you are wrong historically, because the 19th Century German scholars meant by "Urmarcus" a document bigger than canonical Mark which would be better termed a "Proto-Gospel", "Proto-Evangelium", or "Grundschrift".*

C'mon, Robrecht, didn't you say what you said just to provoke me? "no evidence"? If you seriously meant "no evidence" you are no scholar at all, or don't know what "evidence" means.

And Shunya is even more wrong than you are.

*And the precursor to Mark I actually call "Proto-Matthew". Try that through Van Bella and Neirynck.
                  I wasn't even talking to you. Why do you think I was trying to provoke you??? What is your supposed 'evidence'?

Comment

• I think our problem is your definition (or lack thereof) of "evidence". Evidence is not necessarily proof, it may be just indications, just making possibilities seem probable. That there is a Proto-Mark or Proto-Matthew underlying Mark is more than a possibility, it's a matter of judging EVIDENCE as to whether it's probable or not. (I say it's almost a certainty.)
                    You mean there's someone else besides me that you would be trying to impress or exasperate?
                    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

I think our problem is your definition (or lack thereof) of "evidence". Evidence is not necessarily proof, it may be just indications, just making possibilities seem probable. That there is a Proto-Mark or Proto-Matthew underlying Mark is more than a possibility, it's a matter of judging EVIDENCE as to whether it's probable or not. (I say it's almost a certainty.)
                      You mean there's someone else besides me that you would be trying to impress or exasperate?
                      You and Shuny are the ones claiming to have evidence for your views. I have merely asked you to present this so-called evidence.

Comment

• Present your evidence that there is no evidence. Go ahead, contradict Van Bella et all. You're the one who made the assertion.
                        (Sorry to be so acerbic on you. Welcome back!)

Comment

Present your evidence that there is no evidence. Go ahead, contradict Van Bella et all. You're the one who made the assertion.
                          (Sorry to be so acerbic on you. Welcome back!)
                          Silly question. I haven't seen whatever evidence you are referring to. I'm simply not aware of any. Or at least I do not share the same presuppositions that lead you to consider the existence of some Proto-Mark or Proto-Matthew underlying Mark to be a near certainty.

Comment

• Ok. Don't come out and play.

Comment

Ok. Don't come out and play.
                              Sorry, but you are the one who is choosing not to present your evidence.

Comment

• I never claimed there was no evidence. That's prima facie the absurd statement. Plus you said it first. (Are we playing "Kick the can" now?)
                                Can you cite even one scholar who agrees with you, that there is absolutely no evidence there was an earlier draft of Mark?. For good measure, would that scholar (if he exists) hold that our Mark was NOT further redacted before another gospel was written from it, with that Deutero- or Trito-Mark having been lost forever after being used for Matthew or Luke?
                                Note I'm saying SCHOLARS, not Fundamentalists whether Protestant nor Catholic.
                                Last edited by Adam; 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment