Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why Does God Love You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does God Love You?

What difference do you make?

The link can be found here.

The text is as follows:

Are you just really that special? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

We live in an age of constant narcissism. Many of us are not likely to be full-blown narcissists, but many of us do think more highly of ourselves than we ought. This comes up with the love of God. In contrast to what many of us can think I read something from C.S. Lewis last night that was quite different.

I have on my kindle a book of daily C.S. Lewis writings for devotional reading. I read last night with him talking about our idea of God loving us and that we think it's just because God places such great value on us. Lewis says that in reality, we are of no value to God. God does not need us. If all of us had never been, God would have been just fine for all eternity.

Christ did not die for us because there was some divine need on the part of God. There was not a lack in the life of God that needed to be filled. When I was in Bible College just starting in apologetics, I remember a professor teaching us in Systematic Theology that God created man because He needed someone to love. My own response in fact which I actually aired in class was that if God needed us then the smartest thing all of us could do is collectively hold God for ransom. (From that point on, whenever I raised my hand, my fellow students around me started their watches to see how long it would take before I'd be acknowledged. I think the record was nineteen minutes.)

With our egos, most of us would like to think we're really great and important. Yet as I was at an Ash Wednesday service yesterday, I went up and got the cross put on my forehead with the message of "To dust you come from, and to dust you shall return." You know, that's not the message you expect to hear today in church. You expect to hear about how much God loves you and how valuable you are. I remember pausing up there for a second thinking there had to be more to say.

There wasn't.

I sat down instead feeling very humbled.

You see, in God's economy, He does have a great plan, but you're not essential to it. If something happened to you, God is not going to be wringing His hands in Heaven wondering what He has to do now. He will make it just fine.

This also means that God owes nothing to you. The only guarantee you have is something He has already promised you so if you want God to do something and you're expecting it, be sure that it's not something He hasn't promised. God has never promised to give you a lot of things, and that means every good thing you have in your life is a gift of grace.

This is also why thankfulness is so important. It could be we don't have some blessings we'd like in life because we don't take the time to celebrate the ones we have. There are many times I just get a drink from my water bottle I carry with me and give thanks I live in a place with good drinking water. A man can give thanks that he gets to enjoy sex with his wife, but does he give thanks that he gets to sleep next to her every night? If God takes something away from you, it is to be trusted. He didn't owe you anything to begin with. God is in debt to no one. We are all in debt to Him.

So why did He send His Son for us?

It's not because of who we are.

It's because of who He is.

He is love and He loves that which He created and wants to redeem because His own glory is made manifest in redemption. We are invited to participate in that glory, which is a great privilege. Some might say this is egotistical, but it is not, for it is to be expected that the greatest good would be treated as the greatest good.

From dust you came and to dust you shall return. Until then, enjoy every blessing God has given you and give thanks. Serve with all you can because God has privileged you to get to serve Him in this time and place.

It's not about you.

It's about Him.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Well, of course God doesn't need us! Why would He?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

hmm you really seem to be on this "we are worthless pieces of crap" theme lately Nick. I don't like it at all.

Take it and shove it where the sun don't shine, in my humble opinion.

My God does love me and thinks I am unique and I have value. If that were not the case, he would not have created me. He has a purpose for me and I love him. And he loves me. Deal with it.

Comment

Who said anything about God not loving us? I think you'll find this backed by Romans 5.

Comment

I think Sparko's concern is that, sometimes in the attempt to move away from the special snow-flake kind of televangelist Christianity, where God is our personal buddy, and all of that, we go way too far in the opposite direction into a sack cloths and ashes, we are nothing but dirt under God's nail sort of thing (which I know is not what you're saying, but as an exaggeration, can sometimes appear to move that way). How about a middle road where it's about God, but it's also about us, because we were made in His image, and because we are joint heirs as His children? Life is meaningful, and we are meaningful.

Comment

what adrift said.

Nick i know you did not mean it but you post comes off as cold and aloof and basically sounding like you are lecturing christians that they should consider themselves worthless and of no importance.

Humanity is God's greatest creation. That is you, me, your wife, and even people like hitler. to downplay that is to denigrate God and his creativeness. God doesnt think of us as un needed or of no value! he calls us his children and wants us to call him our father. A parent doesn't NEED a child, but that doesnt mean the child has no value, or is not important and loved. A parent would die for that child. He wants every good thing for that child. even though he doesn't need that child, he is one of the most valuable things in that parent's life. That is how I see God and his relationship to us. Is a child a narcissist because he believes he is loved, and important to his dad?

Comment

Sparko. I don't disagree with us being the jewel of creation. I think our fairy tales are teaching us something here. We're not loved because we're so lovable, as in Beauty and the Beast, but we're loved into someone lovable. It's that that transforms us and the more we submit to it, the more like the lover we become.

Comment

does a parent only love a child when he is compliant?

Nick, I am going to say something that I dont want you to take the wrong way. I am not wanting to put you down, or anything like that. I think you are brilliant and a good friend.

that being said, I think maybe your aspergers might be influencing your view of God. You are approaching it in a completely clinical fashion, at least that is how it comes across in your posts. I know you have difficulties in connecting to social situations in an emotional way, and I think that makes you view our relationship with God in the same way, and view those who have a more emotional connection as being over the top to the point of being narcissistic and believing in a "buddy God" - and I agree Some do! but if it makes them want to do more for God because they feel loved and important, then more power to them. Don't put them down or lecture them. Now if they think they deserve riches and health and get all smug about it and start to view God like a spoiled kid does his parents who expects them to give him everything, then yeah, that is wrong and should be nipped in the bud.

Comment

Who said God only loves us if we're compliant? Not I. The love of God is unconditional and unconditionally given. It's up to us how we respond.

Comment

I did not see the problem Sparky saw. I think he is misinterpreting what was written. As I see it your point was just that God does not love us because of us, but because of Him. That is clearly true.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      Who said God only loves us if we're compliant? Not I. The love of God is unconditional and unconditionally given. It's up to us how we respond.
                      yeah i misread your statement there. sorry

Comment

Isn't being wanted better than being needed anyways? An I would not want the fate of the world to depend on me anyways. WAY TO MUCH RESPONSIBILITY!

Comment

Jedidiah I think nailed it. It's Romans 5. THat's what makes the Gospel so incredible. God doesn't love us because of some big benefit He gets out of it or because He's so awesome. He loves us because He is so awesome and it is His love that enables us to be awesome.

Comment

No one is more awesome than God.

Comment

God made us to be His eternal childern (Mark 10:14-15; John 3:3). And that is not the whole of it (1 Corinthians 2:9).
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment