Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

what would be the observations we would see and measure if . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would be the observations we would see and measure if . . .

What would be the observations we would see and measure if our universe is in collapse?

Considering we see our universe in its distant past.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Also understanding our observable universe is inside its own event horizon.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Also understanding our observable universe is inside its own event horizon.
        ???

Are you using a non-standard definition of event horizon?

BTW, our Local Group is showing expansion, and you might have heard of "dark energy" which is posited to try to explain why the Universe is expanding faster than what one would expect from the "Big Bang".

Comment

seems the evidence shows our universe is open and will never collapse

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/bb_concepts_exp.html
          Possible scenarios for the expansion (and possibly contraction) of the universe: the bottom orange curve represents a closed, high density universe which expands for several billion years, then ultimately turns around and collapses under its own weight. The green curve represents a flat, critical density universe in which the expansion rate continually slows down (the curves becomes ever more horizontal). The blue curve shows an open, low density universe whose expansion is also slowing down, but not as much as the previous two because the pull of gravity is not as strong. The top (red) curve shows a universe in which a large fraction of the matter is in a form dubbed "dark energy" which is causing the expansion of the universe to speed up (accelerate). There is growing evidence that our universe is following the red curve.

990350b.jpg

Comment

What would be the observations we would see and measure if our universe is in collapse?

I think the red shift currently observed in galaxies speeding away from us would fade to orange then yellow as the galaxies slowed, then as they reversed course and started accelerating toward us we would begin to see a blue, then purple, then violet shift. At that point I would start to get pretty worried. But it doesn't seem like will happen. Instead we will probably get colder and colder and use up our supply of wool socks.
            Last edited by robrecht; 02-12-2016, 12:46 PM.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I think the red shift currently observed in galaxies speeding away from us would fade to orange then yellow as the galaxies slowed, then as they reversed course and started accelerating toward us we would begin to see a blue, then purple, then violet shift. At that point I would start to get pretty worried. But it doesn't seem like will happen. Instead we will probably get colder and colder and use up our supply of wool socks.
              so, we need more global warming?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Dont forget to bring your towel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Dont forget to bring your towel.
                  And don't panic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That will be far enough in the future that I would not worry about it.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You would not see the red shift of light of the stars moving away from each other.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        You would not see the red shift of light of the stars moving away from each other.
                        What would you see in the distant past?

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                          ???

Are you using a non-standard definition of event horizon?

BTW, our Local Group is showing expansion, and you might have heard of "dark energy" which is posited to try to explain why the Universe is expanding faster than what one would expect from the "Big Bang".
                          Understand, with a red shift things appear proportionally larger. With a blue shift things appear proportionally smaller.

Now with the "big bang" scenario what we see in the distant past is a smaller universe spread out larger by its red shift. Every direction you look is toward its center.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            That will be far enough in the future that I would not worry about it.
                            You don't want your name to be spoken in a billion years time?
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

What would you see in the distant past?
                              I believe your first question has been adequately answered.

At what point in the distant past do you want to see? I personally could not see anything.

Scientists would not detect the 'noise' of the expansion event.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment