Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Antonin Scalia has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonin Scalia has died

Scalia died earlier today at the age of 79.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

He was a towering figure in American politics. He was probably the most vocal and aggressive member of the Supreme Court. He'll be greatly missed.

I doubt we'll see a replacement for him this year.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

My cynicism takes a hopeful turn, unlike yours.
      Obama and the Dems want to get SOMETHING for their opportunity to NOMINATE a Supreme, but knowing that Repubs will oppose any clear-cut Liberal, may choose to nominate a non-political jurist of note, but whose practical import might be to firm up moderately Liberal trends even though thwarting anything more clearly Liberal.
      Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Scalia died earlier today at the age of 79.
        There goes what is left of the Constitution.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
            My cynicism takes a hopeful turn, unlike yours.
            Obama and the Dems want to get something for their opportunity to NOMINATE a Supreme, but knowing that Repubs will oppose any clear-cut Liberal, may choose to nominate a non-political jurist of note, but whose practical import might be to firm up moderately Liberal trends even though thwarting anything more clearly Liberal.
            Mark my words, republicans will block any nominee for the supreme court that the current president puts forth. But by doing so they will leave many judicial decisions, even those that have already been decided upon by the court, but not yet issued, in limbo. If decisions have been voted on by the court, and a justice dies before that decision is issued, then his/her vote is invalidated. There are a few such cases that were probably decided upon already, one having to do with unions, and another having to do with abortion, which will now probably have to wait until next year since Justice Scalias vote is now invalidated.

Comment

Mitch McConnell is already saying that nobody should be nominated until the next presidency. History buffs: is there any precedence for waiting that long?
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Mark my words, republicans will block any nominee for the supreme court that the current president puts forth.
                We can only hope. The rest of your post was babble. In a four-four decision, the lower court's ruling becomes the law of the land.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile, this was a great man who had a wife, 9 kids, and dozens of grandkids who will sorely miss him. His best friends on the court were those with whom he had the sharpest ideological disagreements. That says a lot about his character.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    We can only hope. The rest of your post was babble. In a four-four decision, the lower court's ruling becomes the law of the land.
                    Yes, the lower courts ruling stands. Thats what the Supreme court was to decide upon, and that ruling, whether decided upon by the Supreme Court or not will have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Yes, the lower courts ruling stands.
                      You're about to demonstrate you don't know what this means....

Thats what the Supreme court was to decide upon, and that ruling, whether decided upon by the Supreme Court or not will have to wait.
                      No, you don't get it. If SCOTUS comes down with a four-four decision, the lower court's ruling becomes the law of the land. There's nothing to wait on or for. If it is not overturned, it is sustained.

Comment

If there was a majority either way, the ruling would stand, surely? Why would rulings be stayed unless there's a tie?
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Here's an article about the practice of appointments during election years:

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...o-fill-scalias
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            If there was a majority either way, the ruling would stand, surely? Why would rulings be stayed unless there's a tie?
                            Lower court says X.
                            Opponents appeal to Supreme Court of the US, because they think X is wrong.

Supreme Court hears the case, and, by majority, rule that X is wrong. X is, therefore, no longer law.
                            Supreme Court hears the case, and, by majority, rule that X is correct. X is, therefore, upheld as the law of the land.
                            Supreme Court hears the case, and, comes to a tie vote on the decision. X is, therefore, unchanged, and remains the law of the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              His best friends on the court were those with whom he had the sharpest ideological disagreements.
                              Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Comment