Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Because I Said So!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Sometimes force is all we have the time or patience for.
    Again, such a response can be justified when your child is living at your place subject to your rules, but when you continue to take this tact after they're an adult and out on their own you should expect that such an attitude will fall on deaf ears.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It also fails when used to justify hypocritical behavior.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        It also fails when used to justify hypocritical behavior.
        Some "grown ups" must assume that kids are too stupid to recognize hypocrisy for what it is. Children copy actions, not words for the most part. They'll also repeat what is said around them. I'm annoyed when middle aged/older adults aren't good role models for younger people. Especially when said grown ups have been Christians for longer than I've been alive.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
          Just explain it now so that I can try to come up with a better solution. It doesn't do anything besides make parents look like they can not handle criticism without relying on age or force.
          One reason is that kids seldom stop with any answer. They will try to tear it apart and end up with an unending series of questions. Since you can not win you take a short cut.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Some "grown ups" must assume that kids are too stupid to recognize hypocrisy for what it is. Children copy actions, not words for the most part. They'll also repeat what is said around them. I'm annoyed when middle aged/older adults aren't good role models for younger people. Especially when said grown ups have been Christians for longer than I've been alive.
            I am often surprised at how much critical thinking and deduction children can make in these cases. My little cousin (he's 7) constantly attempts to get an explanation for my aunt's "No because I said so", usually presenting his reasoning for why he thinks the prohibition is unfounded, arbitrary, etc. Sometimes I have to agree with his arguments (in silence)
            We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
            - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
            In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
            Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

I think the parent should always give an explanation when ever possible. And of course be age appropriate. So to be understood . And should be out of love for the child. And the parent should make that point that it is out of love for them. And there can be more to this.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Because being a parent is hard, and people are lazy, basically.

My daughter is four years old. Sometimes, I'll say something like, "Because I said so! Just...stop asking me questions for a while. Please." Undoubtedly hypocritical on my part, as well as lazy, negligent, etc.

Being a parent is something that I've come to believe there's no real preparation for. Sometimes just barely staying afloat is about all you can do.
                Last edited by Zymologist; 09-21-2016, 10:23 AM.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  I think the parent should always give an explanation when ever possible. And of course be age appropriate. So to be understood . And should be out of love for the child. And the parent should make that point that it is out of love for them. And there can be more to this.
                  That works for the first one or two questions. But they often lead to an endless series of questions.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    That works for the first one or two questions. But they often lead to an endless series of questions.
                    Tell them to go do their own research in a book if they know how to read. If they are old enough to use the internet, tell them to look up the answer to their questions.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment