Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Because I Said So!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When you become a parent, you will understand...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

2. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My mother used that answer all the time including when I was an adult and out on my own and it really infuriated me. Finally when she told me not to do something and she gave that answer to my asking why not (seriously, I really could not think of a single valid reason why I shouldn't do it) I told her flat out that I would accede to her wishes if she would just for once explain why I shouldn't. I also added that if she once again simply responded with "because I say so" I would completely reject it since she obviously had no good reason for telling me not to.

Needless to say she looked me straight in the eye and repeated, "because I say so." I turned around and walked out the door and we didn't speak for nearly a year afterwards.

It's one thing to give that answer to your child when they are living under your roof but it is a whole nuther thing when they are an adult out on their own (I hesitate at using the word "responsible" ).

I should add that today I have no idea what it was we were arguing about at the time.

I'm always still in trouble again

You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

4. Amen TheWall amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    When you become a parent, you will understand...
    Just explain it now so that I can try to come up with a better solution. It doesn't do anything besides make parents look like they can not handle criticism without relying on age or force.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Just explain it now so that I can try to come up with a better solution. It doesn't do anything besides make parents look like they can not handle criticism without relying on age or force.
    Sometimes force is all we have the time or patience for.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

7. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wow. A real answer.
    One that I can understand at that.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Sometimes force is all we have the time or patience for.
    Again, such a response can be justified when your child is living at your place subject to your rules, but when you continue to take this tact after they're an adult and out on their own you should expect that such an attitude will fall on deaf ears.

I'm always still in trouble again

You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It also fails when used to justify hypocritical behavior.

11. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It also fails when used to justify hypocritical behavior.
    Some "grown ups" must assume that kids are too stupid to recognize hypocrisy for what it is. Children copy actions, not words for the most part. They'll also repeat what is said around them. I'm annoyed when middle aged/older adults aren't good role models for younger people. Especially when said grown ups have been Christians for longer than I've been alive.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

13. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One reason is that kids seldom stop with any answer. They will try to tear it apart and end up with an unending series of questions. Since you can not win you take a short cut.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Some "grown ups" must assume that kids are too stupid to recognize hypocrisy for what it is. Children copy actions, not words for the most part. They'll also repeat what is said around them. I'm annoyed when middle aged/older adults aren't good role models for younger people. Especially when said grown ups have been Christians for longer than I've been alive.
    I am often surprised at how much critical thinking and deduction children can make in these cases. My little cousin (he's 7) constantly attempts to get an explanation for my aunt's "No because I said so", usually presenting his reasoning for why he thinks the prohibition is unfounded, arbitrary, etc. Sometimes I have to agree with his arguments (in silence)
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

16. Amen Jedidiah, TheWall amen'd this post.